Type 1 Hypo?

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Would seem after 44 years of being type 1 and a 51 year old woman it’s almost like I need less insulin? I’ve lowered my levimir by 2 morning and teatime. I have my usual novorapid but after 4 hours I get a sudden drop where I need to eat, no matter what? Should I change my novorapid? It’s been the 1:10 ratio for years - apart from 2:10 in the morning to tackle the morning rise. Thanks. Realise you don’t give out medical info but I’m wondering if as I’m 51 it’s a hormonal thing.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Insulin ratios can change because of all sorts of things, weight change, exercise change, stress change, hormones, weather and yes I guess age too. I don't expect mine to stay the same so if I think it isn't right any more I tweak it until I'm happy.

Of course, you should ask your medical team, we are not doctors etc etc, but I've always worked on the principal that I change my insulin when I think it needs changing and then take advice from the team if they disagree when I next see them....

Good luck.

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Would seem after 44 years of being type 1 and a 51 year old woman it’s almost like I need less insulin? I’ve lowered my levimir by 2 morning and teatime. I have my usual novorapid but after 4 hours I get a sudden drop where I need to eat, no matter what? Should I change my novorapid? It’s been the 1:10 ratio for years - apart from 2:10 in the morning to tackle the morning rise. Thanks. Realise you don’t give out medical info but I’m wondering if as I’m 51 it’s a hormonal thing.
If you're consistently dropping at the same time each day I would reduce your insulin. If it is hormonal you may find you need to increase it again. I tend to wait three days to see a pattern and then adjust my doses.

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Hi,

44 years. Same here. (Though, I'm a 52 year old guy.)

Since you are tweaking your basal, it might be worth investigating that side of things first before sizing up your requirements & timing of dosage for meals?
This may help. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all ! Starting new job next week and can’t be seen shoving glucose tablets behind my mask constantly

Reactions: dani96xx