Freestyle Libre

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am 80 years old and have had diabetes for about 30 years. My aged mind does not absorb new things easily. Over the years, I have had advice from GP's about diabetes care: a lot has been confusing and variable. I now live in Crete, Greece where the health care is somewhat different from UK. To help me control my blood sugar better, my daughter has bought me a Freestyle Libre package and I have been testing it for two days. I am very unsure about using the Data Mangement software.
The user Guides often nrefer to my health care provider. This is a very busy senior doctor at the hospital and is not really available for queries except on 3-monthy appointments. On my first visit, I was shocked when she told me so many things that I should have been told before, particularly the relaitionship between the amount of carbs and the dosage of fast-acting insulin. I have been given a booklet showing typical amounts of carbs in foods but it is in Greek. I bought a book from Diabetes USA and it is useless: very much about American foods! So, trwo lots of help needed:
Has anyone had experience of using Freestyle Libre - the latest version?
Does anyone know a reference book for the amount of carbs in food in English?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure what you mean by the latest version? There are 3 but I'm unsure which one you are referring to so is it 1,2 or 3?

The best way to estimate your carbs is to use the labels on the actual product and weigh your portion and calculate the carbs using the nutrition from the packet, references aren't always right and can be completely brand specific etc and of course even then it could be wrong as manufacturers can change recipes etc
xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 80 years old and have had diabetes for about 30 years. My aged mind does not absorb new things easily. Over the years, I have had advice from GP's about diabetes care: a lot has been confusing and variable. I now live in Crete, Greece where the health care is somewhat different from UK. To help me control my blood sugar better, my daughter has bought me a Freestyle Libre package and I have been testing it for two days. I am very unsure about using the Data Mangement software.
The user Guides often nrefer to my health care provider. This is a very busy senior doctor at the hospital and is not really available for queries except on 3-monthy appointments. On my first visit, I was shocked when she told me so many things that I should have been told before, particularly the relaitionship between the amount of carbs and the dosage of fast-acting insulin. I have been given a booklet showing typical amounts of carbs in foods but it is in Greek. I bought a book from Diabetes USA and it is useless: very much about American foods! So, trwo lots of help needed:
Has anyone had experience of using Freestyle Libre - the latest version?
Does anyone know a reference book for the amount of carbs in food in English?

John - regarding your query about a book for carbs, I'd suggest the rather nattily named Carbs and Cals. It comes in a pocket size or larger. Apparently the larger book has more in it, but I guess that depends how often you might be using it out and about.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals...4228575&sprefix=carbs+and+cals,aps,155&sr=8-1

There is also a World Foods option:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals...4228575&sprefix=carbs+and+cals,aps,155&sr=8-3

All the options are here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carbs+...s+and+cals,aps,155&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-apa-p_5_14

Good luck with it all.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'd also recommend Carbs and Cals. It helped me no end at the beginning. I no longer refer to it as I've learned now what I can and shouldn't eat

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another vote for carbs and cals! Before it was recommended to me all I had was a booklet printed by my diabetes clinic and everything was the amount of carbs per 100g. Carbs and cals has photos of different portion sizes or the carbs in 1 of an item (such as a biscuit) and then the carbs in 2, 3, 4 of them. Whilst @kaylz91 is quite right about using the packaging as the best way to estimate carbs, it's not always that easy, when eating out for example, but also particularly if the packaging is in a different language. I've been carb counting for 17 years but I still use carbs and cals when I'm not sure about something :cat:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yup me too I found Carbs And Cals very helpful in fact the copy I had was a gift from a friend who was T2 he had ended up with 2 copies and passed one on to me and that was before I was diagnosed with diabetes but had decided to lose weight.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another vote for carbs and Cals. I also made a chart of common foods I ate regularly and pinned it on the Kitchen cupboard. I still have it on the inside of the cupboard but don’t really need it anymore as amounts and value became ingrained.
Regarding the Libre do not worry about the data management software or even it referring to health care providers. Just use the basic function of scan and look at the results. As many times a day as you wish. Use those results to factor in what you must do regards food/insulin or indeed nothing at all. The most important thing is the number and that directional arrow. The more you do this the more relaxed you will feel about perhaps inputting how much food/insulin you are taking. To be fair there is very little more to it unless you want to get into the more technical techy side. Which at 80 I can understand your reluctance. Good luck!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also go for Carbs & Cals. There is an app which I use much more then the book. I usually have my phone with me so if eating out I use the app.

Hope this helps