Completely confused!!!!????

chocofrolic

hi to anyone reading this.
Just been diagnosed with diabetes and put on metformin twice a day. I wasnt surprised - have a family history and had gestational diabetes twice. Despite this I haven't a clue what I should or shouldnt be eating and my head feels messed up. Was just told to eat a healthy balanced diet and take plenty of exercise and that no food is banned. Would welcome any advice. My blood checks are anywhere between 6 & 13 and I dont know what they should be at what times of the day
Also how does a blood test decide whether you are type 1 or 2. I wasnt diabetic less than 6 months ago - now I am. Can anyone tell me how a GP knows what type you are?

Thanks, Anne.

Mags52

Hi There
I think I'm in a pretty similar situation to you in that I had gestational diabetes and family history and then was diagnosed a few months ago. I have found that a low GI diet is the best thing for controlling sugars and it also helped me lose some weight which in turn has also helped my blood sugars. Although they say eat a balanced diet there is no doubt that carbohydrates cause your blood sugar to go up. I used to be a pasta and rice addict (especially pasta!) and it really hurt to cut down to a tiny portion but now it feels normal.
I went on a DESMOND course (one day course for new diabetics) and it was great for explaining the way diabetes happens. You could ask if they have them in your area.
All the best
Margaret

Lynda Kay

Hay Anne,

Here's a link to the GI Index. It also explains how it works.
http://www.glycemicindex.com/

What Type you are is usually determined by your insulin production.

Don't panic, just start educating yourself.

There's lots of information right here on these forums.

Happy Trails,
Proverbs 17:22

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Anne,

This link to Wikipedia is a bit technical but explains pretty well the differences between Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational diabetes, and therefore what doctors look for when you are tested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes

If you have been put on metformin then you are Type 2. The normal range for an adult, non-diabetic is between 3.9 and 6.1 mmol/l before eating (i.e. preprandial). After eating the sugar levels rise, but how much they rise will vary depending on how much and what type of carbohydrate you have eaten. Sugar levels tend to peak at 1½ to 2 hours after eating, then fall back to normal.

You can see from the above that your own sugar levels show you to be diabetic - your lower readings are around the upper level for a non-diabetic and your higher reading are double the normal for a non-diabetic.

If you have been reading the other posts on this forum you will have seen that probably the most important thing you can do to keep your sugar levels under control (apart from keep taking the tablets!) is to control the amount and type of carbohydrates you eat. If you look in the Sticky topics in this section you will find loads of helpful information on diet.

chocofrolic

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mags52</i>
<br />Hi There
I think I'm in a pretty similar situation to you in that I had gestational diabetes and family history and then was diagnosed a few months ago. I have found that a low GI diet is the best thing for controlling sugars and it also helped me lose some weight which in turn has also helped my blood sugars. Although they say eat a balanced diet there is no doubt that carbohydrates cause your blood sugar to go up. I used to be a pasta and rice addict (especially pasta!) and it really hurt to cut down to a tiny portion but now it feels normal.
I went on a DESMOND course (one day course for new diabetics) and it was great for explaining the way diabetes happens. You could ask if they have them in your area.
All the best
Margaret
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Thanks for that. The practice Nurse did mention the DESMOND day and I think I may go when I get the details through.
I too have a carbohydrate addiction - Nothing nicer than loads of fresh crusty bread with butter. Ah well......

chocofrolic

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by StephenFromScotland</i>
<br />Hi Anne and a warm welcome.
as far as i know thats what can happen to diabetes,one minute your fine and then you can develop it.
stephen
Hi, thanks for replying. Everyone seems so friendly and helpful. This is the first time I've used a forum.
Anne.

chocofrolic

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dennis</i>
<br />Hi Anne,

This link to Wikipedia is a bit technical but explains pretty well the differences between Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational diabetes, and therefore what doctors look for when you are tested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes

If you have been put on metformin then you are Type 2. The normal range for an adult, non-diabetic is between 3.9 and 6.1 mmol/l before eating (i.e. preprandial). After eating the sugar levels rise, but how much they rise will vary depending on how much and what type of carbohydrate you have eaten. Sugar levels tend to peak at 1½ to 2 hours after eating, then fall back to normal.

You can see from the above that your own sugar levels show you to be diabetic - your lower readings are around the upper level for a non-diabetic and your higher reading are double the normal for a non-diabetic.

If you have been reading the other posts on this forum you will have seen that probably the most important thing you can do to keep your sugar levels under control (apart from keep taking the tablets!) is to control the amount and type of carbohydrates you eat. If you look in the Sticky topics in this section you will find loads of helpful information on diet.

Hi, Thanks for the useful info. I suppose it's going to be trial and error for a while. I'm probably panicking a bit - will try not to. I will check out the website.

Anne.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Anne,

If you can get on the DESMOND course it should help you quite a bit. Unfortunately it is only available in certain parts of the country because PCTs were asked to volunteer to run the courses and many PCTs decided not to.

It would be particularly interesting to see whether the course recommends the government's favoured high-carbohydrate diet or whether they have caught up with the rest of the world in realising that a diet high in carbs is the worst possible diet for a type 2 diabetic!

If you do get on the course perhaps you could report to us what they say about diet?

Dave Eames

Hi Anne

Main thing is don't panic, you will need to find out what works for you and that can take some time. I live in Australia and I went on a simular course to the DESMOND but 90% of what the advised didn't work for me.

Also beware of low GI diet that can make thing worse, low carb diet works for me but I can't say it's fun. I have found that if I don't eat high carb foods after midday then I can keep my next day early morning readings down to around 6.5 but if I have potatoes, pastry or bread in the evening then I get a reading of around 8.5 the next morning.

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
If you have been put on metformin then you are Type 2.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Not necessarily Dennis, all it means is that the Dr "thinks" she's a T2. See the "Hi I'm new" thread. However, with those BG levels she very probably isn't T1.

Patti
On Levemir/Novorapid. Last hba1c 5.3

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Patti,

I appreciate your point. My thoughts also were that with BGs at their current level then T1 was unlikely. The other clue was that she has previously had Gestational Diabetes, which can often develop later into T2, but very rarely into T1.

I don't like suggesting to anyone newly diagnosed that their GP might have got the diagnosis wrong. I know this can happen, and a few people on this forum have said it happened to them. My own view is that when a newly diagnosed person is frightened by what the future holds for them, and is probably confused as to what to do next, the last thing they want to hear is that their GP may have got the diagnosis wrong!

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dennis</i>
<br />Patti,

I appreciate your point. My thoughts also were that with BGs at their current level then T1 was unlikely. The other clue was that she has previously had Gestational Diabetes, which can often develop later into T2, but very rarely into T1.

I don't like suggesting to anyone newly diagnosed that their GP might have got the diagnosis wrong. I know this can happen, and a few people on this forum have said it happened to them. My own view is that when a newly diagnosed person is frightened by what the future holds for them, and is probably confused as to what to do next, the last thing they want to hear is that their GP may have got the diagnosis wrong!

I take your point re: not wanting to hear the GP has the dx wrong, but I also think it's healthy to query things and to be on the look-out if symptoms change as they so easily can. Regretfully many GP's knowledge of diabetes is sketchy.

Funnily enough I have just come across two ladies who had gestational diabetes and are now T1s (unless of course that dx was wrong too.... LOL!)

Patti
On Levemir/Novorapid. Last hba1c 5.3