Type 1.5 MRI scan and Freestyle Libre

Shari68

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I got a call to get an MRI scan tonight (9/11/20), a cancellation. but I forgot to ask if I had to take my Freestyle Libre Sensor off. I don't have a telephone number to call them back, and I can't get through to my Diabetes team. Has anyone had to take it off for a scan? The scan is for around my lower back area.

Thanks in advance.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I got a call to get an MRI scan tonight (9/11/20), a cancellation. but I forgot to ask if I had to take my Freestyle Libre Sensor off. I don't have a telephone number to call them back, and I can't get through to my Diabetes team. Has anyone had to take it off for a scan? The scan is for around my lower back area.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about your clinical setting but this is from the Abbott website.

upload_2020-11-9_12-7-9.png

https://www.freestylelibre.us/safety-information.html

I work for a company that makes radiotherapy equipment and I would expect high magnetic fields to 'kill' the fragile electronics in any digital device anyway.

Reactions: Shari68

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People judging my condition not knowing enough about it.
I’ve had a few mri scans and each time I’ve been asked to remove my Libre sensor.

Reactions: Shari68

Shari68

Thanks everyone. I'll take mines off before I go. Bummer is it is a new one just put on last night

Jane glease

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can anyone help me I have been for a MRI scan today and forgot to take off my libre2 sensor while having scan I had a jumper on over top of it as didn't need a gown on,I'm a bit worried in case I have any radiation in me feel ok but no one really asked any questions about it what should I do please?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi can anyone help me I have been for a MRI scan today and forgot to take off my libre2 sensor while having scan I had a jumper on over top of it as didn't need a gown on,I'm a bit worried in case I have any radiation in me feel ok but no one really asked any questions about it what should I do please?
The MRI scan would not have harmed you. Just double check a couple of Libre readings against finger-prick readings to see if that works ok, or if it needs replacing.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Yep agree with most had to be removed, I had an op two weeks ago which was done using a nerve block in my left shoulder , my sensor was on my left arm I had to remove it as I was told the nerve block would affect the fluid that the libre uses ,

Reactions: ElenaP

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry!
Just double check the sensor with a fingerprick and see if it still works correctly.

There is no radiation involved in an MRI scan.

Reactions: ElenaP