Type 1 High blood sugars

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New long diabetic type 1 does anyone know if I should take extra insulin if my sugars are over 13 all the time had my tea time shot but thinking about injecting some more

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As we can't give dosing advice this is something you need to talk to your team about but yes you should have a correction factor but if its a pattern forming then you may need to look at adjusting your basal dose but newly diagnosed you should be working closely with your team to establish your needs xx

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey yeah just trying to get the right ratio to carbs I got told to do 1 unit to every ten carbs but think I need more units to the carb as it’s still high

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds more like your basal dose being an issue, your bolus won't work as it should if your basal dose isn't as near to perfect as it can be xx

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck I usually find my team are great and suggesting new dose ratio or making some changes when I’m seeing higher numbers.
They can help you work out your correction dose too, and at what number to do it, good to usually count since when you last injected too, as don’t want to stack insulin, so give it say 4 hours.
My number can go really high high and then come back down, so sometimes good to test level in couple hours too and see.

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay great thanks only got diagnosed last week so think it will take sometime to get ratios right and stuff I’m guessing a few weeks at least

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it will take time. Don't rush it as too rapid a drop can cause neuropathy problems.
Can also cause eye issues, been there, done it, got the scarring to the eyes from treatments