VERY HIGH spikes of sugar hours after white rice

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I got diabetes type 1. And recently I ate some sushi and noticed that hours after eating it, I got extremely high sugar level after getting enough and even more insulin than needed.

First I count carbs (it's hard to weight white rice on sushi but I still do it and read labels on packages, yes, i buy sushi at stores). And in total it is about 150g carbs. (I like sushi a lot and that day ate a lot). I get 1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbs, so here I should take 15 units. However I added extra 5 just in case because I usually got spikes after white rice.

20unit of humalog at the start of eating
30min after eating 8.8mmol
1h after eating 9.0mmol
2h after eating 9.5mmol extra 3 units of humalog
3h after eating 10.6 mmol extra 7 unit of humalog
5h after eating 12.5 mmol
6.5h after eating 17mmol extra 8 units of humalog
7.5h after eating 11mmol
8h after eating 12mmol (right now, another 6 units.)
Here is still rising after many hours of consuming. How is this even possible? White rice has high glycemic level and it is supposed to increase my glucose level quickly, however it keeps increasing hours and hours after eating. Plus I injected crazy amounts of insulin which still seems not sufficient. What the hell is that?

No matter how much insulin I take it is always not enough. Similar things happen with instant noodles, however with them it raises immediately and doesn't go down. And with cereal with milk is similar but not to that much extent.

Does anyone has the same problems with white rice? Do you experience same thing with white rice?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I eat rice very often, but I prebolus 10-15 mins. If I’m very active that day, I wait around 5-8mins before eating. did you wait for a bit before eating? Like you injected your first dose and waited 10-15mins? To avoid spikes, we do a pre bolus. Pre bolus 10-15mins before eating, eat, give your insulin that 4hr ish window, if you are high, correct and wait another 4 hours. This prevents you from stacking insulin.

And at the moment you are stacking insulin and not giving your insulin a fair chance to work, keep hypo treats at hand because you’ve injected quite a bit.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you asked your team to help you with carb counting? It could be that your ratio needs adjusting.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds very familiar. I used to be able to deal with it, but it became too difficult. So I stopped eating food that had this effect.

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I eat rice very often, but I prebolus 10-15 mins. If I’m very active that day, I wait around 5-8mins before eating. did you wait for a bit before eating? Like you injected your first dose and waited 10-15mins? To avoid spikes, we do a pre bolus. Pre bolus 10-15mins before eating, eat, give your insulin that 4hr ish window, if you are high, correct and wait another 4 hours. This prevents you from stacking insulin.

And at the moment you are stacking insulin and not giving your insulin a fair chance to work, keep hypo treats at hand because you’ve injected quite a bit.

I did the counting when I was diagnosed and in my daily life I average my sugar levels in 8 mmol a day. I eat various food and always I get the high sugars down by injecting insulin. I usually avoid carbs but sometimes I have a craving for some carbs. My A1c is on 50 so it is not that bad, I can count carbs, however whenever I eat white rice or starchy food, it seems a bit tricky. I can NEVER measure correctly carbs for rice(usually I look at nutrition value at the label and my glucose levels are fine with all food but rice0, and even if I do, 5h later it spikes as crazy. Maybe it's my weird metabolism.

Also, I didn't wait before eating, I was too hungry this time so I started eating immediately.

As much as I experienced I understand now and dealt with it that white rice doesn't do much good for me. Just asking if other people have similar issues :/

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you eat food containing fat at the same time as the rice? Because fat causes a temporary reduction in insulin sensitivity, the insulin requirement is increased and the requirement is dragged out for hours.

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you eat food containing fat at the same time as the rice? Because fat causes a temporary reduction in insulin sensitivity, the insulin requirement is increased and the requirement is dragged out for hours.
Well, this time it was sushi with Salmon so I think it wasn't too fatty. Plus isn't it the other way around? Fat slows down carbs break down but not insulin?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, this time it was sushi with Salmon so I think it wasn't too fatty. Plus isn't it the other way around? Fat slows down carbs break down but not insulin?
In your initial post you describe how blood glucose went up for 6 hours after eating, in spite of injecting lots of extra insulin. That would be consistent with reduced insulin sensitivity during that 6 hour period. This happens when I go to a steakhouse and eat a big steak that also contains lots of fat. I don't think just the salmon in sushi would have this effect, though.

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the same, I think it was the rice. The rice was probably the culprit. My total amount of insulin taken was way too much for the carbs it contained and still didn't bring it down. I ate large portion, maybe I should control myself better and not eat that much of rice in one sitting. The thing is, rice is so goood

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The size of the meal probably had a lot to do with it. I find blood glucose stays up for while after a big meal. A while ago I did an experiment Richard Bernstein describes, of eating a whole head of lettuce. Almost no carbs, but blood glucose went up.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I got diabetes type 1. And recently I ate some sushi and noticed that hours after eating it, I got extremely high sugar level after getting enough and even more insulin than needed.

First I count carbs (it's hard to weight white rice on sushi but I still do it and read labels on packages, yes, i buy sushi at stores). And in total it is about 150g carbs. (I like sushi a lot and that day ate a lot). I get 1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbs, so here I should take 15 units. However I added extra 5 just in case because I usually got spikes after white rice.

20unit of humalog at the start of eating
30min after eating 8.8mmol
1h after eating 9.0mmol
2h after eating 9.5mmol extra 3 units of humalog
3h after eating 10.6 mmol extra 7 unit of humalog
5h after eating 12.5 mmol
6.5h after eating 17mmol extra 8 units of humalog
7.5h after eating 11mmol
8h after eating 12mmol (right now, another 6 units.)
Here is still rising after many hours of consuming. How is this even possible? White rice has high glycemic level and it is supposed to increase my glucose level quickly, however it keeps increasing hours and hours after eating. Plus I injected crazy amounts of insulin which still seems not sufficient. What the hell is that?

No matter how much insulin I take it is always not enough. Similar things happen with instant noodles, however with them it raises immediately and doesn't go down. And with cereal with milk is similar but not to that much extent.

Does anyone has the same problems with white rice? Do you experience same thing with white rice?

Hi, (or should I say, Kon'nichiwa..)

What was your BG prior to eating the sushi?

Yeah, I got a soft spot for sushi too. Even those Japanese style conveyer belt flashy outlets? (Where you sit down at a type of bar & it's like the "Generation game." As it drifts by & you catch it.)

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i find when i eat rice my bgs go up after insulin has run out ,so now i split my dose and have a 60/40 split second dose about 2 hours later this tends to work for me .

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Over the years i've had problems dosing for rice, either hypo's and then hyper, or hyper and taking hours to come down. Tried every which way of splitting bolus, etc and always prebolus for meals. Spoke to the hospital who said everyone has at least one food they find difficult/impossible to eat easily, and a lot of type1's find it's rice. In the end I gave up eating it, as it wasn't worth the hassle. Hope you can sort out dosing if you enjoy it so much though.

Reactions: karen8967

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Over the years i've had problems dosing for rice, either hypo's and then hyper, or hyper and taking hours to come down. Tried every which way of splitting bolus, etc and always prebolus for meals. Spoke to the hospital who said everyone has at least one food they find difficult/impossible to eat easily, and a lot of type1's find it's rice. In the end I gave up eating it, as it wasn't worth the hassle. Hope you can sort out dosing if you enjoy it so much though.
Hiiii!

I love sushi!! And rice!!

I ate some sushi around a month ago maybe? I think I ate about 3 small sushi’s I can’t remember how many grams/carbs it was but I don’t remember my bg going up that day. I’ll remember this forum as I plan to go to a sushi restaurant when it’s covid safe and I will report back here my sushi eating findings!

Reactions: Hopeful34

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been careful to test out rice ...paella especially i was scared id heard so many negatives about rice so kept away try try try again ..monitor ..log it ..experiment ...i can do it now ..but imguess im lucky . I dont spike hours after i just bolus on eating . Phew