Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, working with dog triner this week on a new technique to get my wayward dog to come back when called and not to chase scent. Had a brilliant session yesterday, having a very brief session today to reinforce, keeping my fingers crossed that with a bit of hard work this might solve the problem.

Am I the only person who's finding the threat of Covid more concerning now than it was back in March? It just feels to me as if some people are weary of following the guidance and taking more risks, and Christmas seems like more of a risk than a celebration if people are getting together.

On that gloomy note, hope you all have a good day and bgs stay where they should!

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Good morning all!

@Antje77 and @MeiChanski Yes it’s Cyberpunk2077 for the PC, my partners already finished the main game. We have loved it but not happy with the main game duration and would have liked it to be longer! We are big gamers here

@hh1 Sounds good, we need to get a dog trainer for our Jack Russell he is such a stubborn little man! Has also hurt his paw somehow this week and we just can’t think for the life of us how he has done it but he is here limping around Will take him to the vets in a few days if it doesn’t get any better!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon, back at work tomorrow. It will only be 1 1/2 days, but at least I will see the children to give them their Christmas presents. I can't believe we are so near to Christmas now. I'm looking forward to 2021 and trying to be positive, especially with the vaccine, not sure when I will get mine, so I'll wait and fingers crossed we can all then get back to living in some sort of normality :)
Take good care and stay safe.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Afternoon, back at work tomorrow. It will only be 1 1/2 days, but at least I will see the children to give them their Christmas presents. I can't believe we are so near to Christmas now. I'm looking forward to 2021 and trying to be positive, especially with the vaccine, not sure when I will get mine, so I'll wait and fingers crossed we can all then get back to living in some sort of normality :)
Hi @Robinredbreast yes that’s all you can do, try and stay as positive as possible! I think of all the things that used to get on my nerves, like walking behind big crowds of people and waiting in queues, why do I long for these scenarios now? I keep walking my dog through town to see the Christmas lights and just to catch a glimpse of people, oh my gosh - humans - they exist!

In other news my stomach issues have now gone but sadly have been replaced with leg issues now, my knees have just give in today walking to Tesco! I need a new body ASAP! So now to wait for them to heal! (Had lots of issues since DKA about 2 months back- doc says to be expected and body will gradually get better) I’m just staying positive and waiting for Christmas, I do love Christmas!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hope it's a good couple of days @Robinredbreast !

I'm sad not to be seeing my lot other than through our version of Zoom but, as I did point out as we were all waiting to go, they come back to the physical building on 6th January which is the day the Wise Men visit and, in my admittedly unusual view, is still part of Christmas. I got some odd looks initially but some of them have grown to like the idea. Whether or not my colleagues who go all-in for Christmas for about 2 months beforehand can tolerate leaving the decorations up in the classroom until the students come back is another matter.

We decided, in the end, that the untangling of logistics for possibly bringing ours back in for a day and a half (both staff and student logistics) was more than most of us could handle. I also concluded I preferred to count my 10 days from when I was last in work, rather than from the Test and Trace date, as I really have no clue if I was in anyway near someone or something that could transmit germs on that last day.

One of the pluses of this isolating is that I have given two things a thorough test. Inactive days ratios and seeing if a weekend thing I'd been observing was lactose related. (I didn't have any of the two items I was thinking were the culprits in as I started to isolate, so it was a great opportunity.) I've concluded it's wheat hidden in some veggie easy option stuff which tended to get eaten at weekends. I've never tested positive for coeliac but both my blood sugars and digestive systems have been grateful for me giving up traditional breads, pastries, cakes and pasta. All of which I loved and no-one ever thought I'd stop eating. They all got re-introduced after I did DAFNE, but it's less that "You can eat what you like as long as you bolus for it", and more if my body doesn't like it, why am I eating it! So, they've all gone again.

My inactivity ratios are, um, not so scientific as they were during Lockdown 1, but the basic ratios + a couple of units or so extra of both bolus and basal, seem to have worked nicely through Lockdown 2 and Isolation 1.

Right, off to deal with the information + data gathering demands, the checking of e-mails, and preparing for Virtual Classroom activities.

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, heading for a very wet day here in the south-west. I'm in cheerful mode though as working with the dog trainer may at least have given us a key to getting my dog to curb her prey instinct which causes her to chase scents and not come back. It's a simple, behavioural technique but I'm saying nothing more until we know for sure it works, and that'll take a few weeks of reinforcement.

Bgs seem to be behaving fairly well, my magic run of morning 5s was of course broken as soon as I mentioned it, but it's still behaving fairly well. Hope yours are steady and in the right place for you.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi guys

just wondering what is the best pain killer/paracetamol for us to take that in your findings does not affect bg and is safe for minimal use. Just got abit of endro flare up in my legs but got so many jobs to do round house I have no time to stop and chill out and need pain relief!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi guys

just wondering what is the best pain killer/paracetamol for us to take that in your findings does not affect bg and is safe for minimal use. Just got abit of endro flare up in my legs but got so many jobs to do round house I have no time to stop and chill out and need pain relief!

Ibuprofen works for me...lookup in nhs web site it advises ibuprofen

Reactions: Choosehappy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Paracetamol doesn't affect my diabetes, and neither does ibuprofen or naproxen. I haven't noticed anything that one time I needed tramadol either.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of a late answer here @Choosehappy - I do not think any of the standard painkillers have any effect on my blood sugars at all.

Infection or illness, especially before I really am aware of them, however, can send my blood sugars up in a most uneccesary fashion.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
When you talk about pain killers, pain stresses me out. Pain causes my blood sugar to rise. So after pain killers, regardless of which one I use as long as it has an effect on the pain, causes my blood sugar to lower.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Good morning all,

Completed a full Christmas clean all downstairs, next is upstairs which I will begin today! Not sure if legs are still playing up as haven’t used them much yet but I’m sure I will find out once I start pottering about!

Hope everyone has a lovely day! Don’t get up to too much mischief!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! Just got back from walking my dog with a friend in a secure field. So muddy it's taken me half an hour to clean my dog. When I say liquid mud, that's exactly what I mean. Now I need to clean the caar and the stuff I used to clean and dry the dog. Need a sit down and a cup of tea...

Hope you all have a cleaner day than mine :hilarious:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! Just got back from walking my dog with a friend in a secure field. So muddy it's taken me half an hour to clean my dog. When I say liquid mud, that's exactly what I mean. Now I need to clean the caar and the stuff I used to clean and dry the dog. Need a sit down and a cup of tea...

Hope you all have a cleaner day than mine :hilarious:

Oh yikes, mine won’t be cleaner than yours, because my house looks like a bottomless pit. I guess to a day of cleaning, cheers