It's a minefield!

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I only started on insulin, once a day low dose increasing every fourth day by two units, ten days ago, but already the area around where I inject in my abdomen is sore and uncomfortable. So I thought maybe I'd give my thighs a go with injecting, but on the various forums, when I raised this issue, I was told (a) never to use the thighs and (b) that if you have been using the abdomen, then you have to stay using that, but rotating where you actually inject of course. So can I use my thighs or not?

Headaches.... I've had quite a few since starting insulin, some say this is usual, others say not.

One article said you can use anaesthetic cream on the area where you inject if it is painful to inject, as with me, who has lots of skin problems, including very sensitive.skin. I had been considering it, but it seems a bit wussy to say the least. But is it true that you can do this?

This low carb lark...I can't eat lots of veggies, don't much care for meat other than chicken, love salmon and most fish, but due to other medications am finding it difficult to find low carb meals that satisfy me for more than half an hour, then I begin to feel hungry again. As I've got older and changed my life, my outlook on life a lot, I have wondered if it isn't better to eat what you enjoy, what makes you hsppy, only less of it, as opposed to eating foods you don't enjoy and which cause stomach problems?

My figures were really very high when I began insulin - and I am not going to tell you what they were so don't bother asking, it's irrelevant, saying they were as I said, is sufficient! - so I suppose it is going to take some time to get them down to a whisper rather than a great roar, but I would like to know how long it took some of you to get your figures down. I'm not in single figures fasting-wise, but getting there, it all seems to take so long though and I'm not known for my patience!

So much information, it's hard to know which to believe.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what are your blood sugars doing now with the lower carb eating and insulin?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shame you struggle with low carb, do you like eggs? Fish is absolutely fine. Insulin makes you hungry. If you are on other meds these can affect sugar levels and appetite.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So what are your blood sugars doing now with the lower carb eating and insulin?
Lucky you, not everyone can follow such a strict regime for other medical conditions that are life-threatening and have to come first. And not everyone wants to live on animal products.

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Shame you struggle with low carb, do you like eggs? Fish is absolutely fine. Insulin makes you hungry. If you are on other meds these can affect sugar levels and appetite.
I am on a whole load of other meds as I have four chronic illnesses as well as the diabetes. I am thankful this all happened later in life when I had done all I wanted to do and was looking for a quieter, simpler way of living. HaHa

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you, not everyone can follow such a strict regime for other medical conditions that are life-threatening and have to come first. And not everyone wants to live on animal products.

I think you have mistaken my signature for the question I was asking?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd give my thighs a go with injecting, but on the various forums, when I raised this issue, I was told (a) never to use the thighs and (b) that if you have been using the abdomen, then you have to stay using that, but rotating where you actually inject of course. So can I use my thighs or not?
No problem rotating through all the injection sites! I use all of my abdomen, top to bottom, left to right, I sometimes use thighs, often use upper arms and sometimes buttocks.
The only thing is that it can make a small difference in the speed of action, abdomen is said to work quicker than thighs. Personally, I haven't noticed a difference.

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No problem rotating through all the injection sites! I use all of my abdomen, top to bottom, left to right, I sometimes use thighs, often use upper arms and sometimes buttocks.
The only thing is that it can make a small difference in the speed of action, abdomen is said to work quicker than thighs. Personally, I haven't noticed a difference.
Thank you, this has given me confidence to try the thighs for a change, and to be more flexible about where I can inject, hough the right side of the abdomen is out as I have a lot of scarring there.

Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only started on insulin, once a day low dose increasing every fourth day by two units, ten days ago, but already the area around where I inject in my abdomen is sore and uncomfortable. So I thought maybe I'd give my thighs a go with injecting, but on the various forums, when I raised this issue, I was told (a) never to use the thighs and (b) that if you have been using the abdomen, then you have to stay using that, but rotating where you actually inject of course. So can I use my thighs or not?

Headaches.... I've had quite a few since starting insulin, some say this is usual, others say not.

One article said you can use anaesthetic cream on the area where you inject if it is painful to inject, as with me, who has lots of skin problems, including very sensitive.skin. I had been considering it, but it seems a bit wussy to say the least. But is it true that you can do this?

This low carb lark...I can't eat lots of veggies, don't much care for meat other than chicken, love salmon and most fish, but due to other medications am finding it difficult to find low carb meals that satisfy me for more than half an hour, then I begin to feel hungry again. As I've got older and changed my life, my outlook on life a lot, I have wondered if it isn't better to eat what you enjoy, what makes you hsppy, only less of it, as opposed to eating foods you don't enjoy and which cause stomach problems?

My figures were really very high when I began insulin - and I am not going to tell you what they were so don't bother asking, it's irrelevant, saying they were as I said, is sufficient! - so I suppose it is going to take some time to get them down to a whisper rather than a great roar, but I would like to know how long it took some of you to get your figures down. I'm not in single figures fasting-wise, but getting there, it all seems to take so long though and I'm not known for my patience!

So much information, it's hard to know which to believe.
Hi Rubette,

I don't know how old you are, but I was diagnosed in my 30's and have a few decades left in this body if I don't walk under a bus, so I don't feel like I have much of a choice: I'd better take care of it if it's supposed to last with some quality of life to go with it. I also don't know what other chronic issues you have. Most of mine were rather helped with going low carb, for the most part. (The ones that didn't get better on it, certainly didn't get worse), but that's me... What works for you, you'll have to decide. What are your priorities, what is important to you? If you're happy with insulin and possible other medication, while eating whatever you wish, medium low carb or "normal" carb.... Have at it. Just make sure you make an informed choice. Not that you let things go because 'who cares', and then, 10 years from now you're missing a couple of legs and wonder what went wrong. Keep your blood sugars in range as much as you can, in whatever way you can. Be it with medication, or diet, or both. Take care of you, in whatever way fits you and your needs best. Not just your body but your mind too, and your life in general.

It takes a little while to find your own path, especially with all the contradictory information, but your meter and your body'll let you know what's working for you.
Good luck,
Jo