Pins and needles

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - if you have peripheral neuropathy does it come and go or is it permanent? How do you know you have it?
Ive been getting pins and needles on and off randomly in my feet and now worried I have developed neuropathy? I’ve had t1 for 6 years relatively well controlled but I’m also on long term antibiotics which can also cause pins and needles sometimes so how do I know if it’s diabetes related or not?

Thanks!

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
Hey @briony1 , I haven't really suffered with diabetes that long but I've had UC since my teens and I find if it flares up I get off sensations in my left leg. I would put it down to your long term use of anti biotics if you feel that your diabetes has been well controlled but it's well worth discussing this with your nurse or doctor. They can look in to it and help I'm sure. Hope you had a nice Christmas x

Reactions: briony1

Caprock94

It's hard to say. Is it in both feet? For me, I had a burning pain in both feet that came on pretty much overnight AFTER lowering my blood sugar to normal range about 6 weeks following diagnosis. 18 months later, and it still bothers me. It varies in intensity. I never had the numbness, or the pins and needles you describe.

Sorry, I know I am not much help. Just letting you know you are not alone! If you don't have it in both feet, it could just be a pinched nerve.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It used to bug me, particularly at night, along with RLS.

I've been working on getting my sugars in control, since then it's been much much better.

Seaquest

I was fishing down the pier and suddenly I was bent over it felt like SHARDS OF GLASS being rammed into the soles of my feet.It was cold and feet wet .Rubbed VICKS on feet later helped a lot.I found TIGER BALM good also ,not real tigers far as I know .In the long term as most solutions it's about good bs control as already mentioned.A few stiff Whiskeys helped as well.