Feeling dizzy and questions about FreeStyle Libre

taylorcreated

Hi everyone,

My partner has Type 1 Diabetes. She has been complaining about feeling light headed for around 3 weeks now. It's there almost all the time. She also gets neck pain, headaches and has described a tingling in her lip. Her sugar readings have also been running a little high lately. They seem to remain level overnight. However, we're finding that she is having to have extra units of fast acting during the day for her food. For example, if she has a slice of toast, she is having to have more units than she would usually. She is sometimes having to have 2 or 3 units more that she would usually need for a meal. We can't increase her background insulin because her sugars will go low overnight. She eats a healthy diet, is a healthy weight and is in her early 30's. She also doesn't drink, smoke or take any medication. She has also been using the same insulin (Tresiba & Novorapid) for over a year now.

1. I guess my first question is - has anyone else experienced these symptoms recently? Her nurse has said that others had experienced these symptoms recently. Perhaps a virus? But after 3 weeks it's really getting her down. Her bloods etc are being tested at the doctors for vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

2. Whilst I'm on here. She also starting using the FreeStyle Libre sensor for a good few moths now. Every time she changes it there is always blood on the sensor and when she first started using it she complained of a tingling sensation in the arm, fingers etc of the arm it was placed in. She sometimes worries that her body is rejecting the sensors and this could be causing some of her symptoms.

If anyone has any comments or feedback on the questions above I would greatly appreciate it.

lewis10694

First, the blood sugar running higher could be due to a virus, it's maybe better to wait and see if she starts to feel better before making changes and just try bolus to control things at the moment.

If not, her insulin resistance may have changed and she may have started to require more insulin. Such as she may have needed 1 unit per 6 grams of carbs, this could have changed to 1 unit per 4 grams now. This happens to me all the time and there is a period of figuring out but then things will stable out once you have corrected your insulin need. Don't change the basal does, if she is stable overnight this isn't the issue.

Blood on the libre is very normal, it pierces you with a needle there will often be some blood on the libre. Try find a very tissuey/fatty part of the back of the arm to aim for. I have had problems before where I have had a libre pierce in a funny position and it has been too close to a nerve and causing pain, weird sensations and discomfort. Hope this helps

Reactions: Technician87

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
now this is interesting today one week after COVID VACCINE blood sugars on waking 18.6 took half normal carbs for breakfast changed needle blood sugar came down very slow but lunch and tea blood sugars all high
now as post this item 16.0 but odd thing when i go for my daily walk at 10.30 pm for an hour i struggled to breathe
not normal for me but maybe because i was high that was a fall out
but i will see what happens tomorrow may be an off day vic

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

My partner has Type 1 Diabetes. She has been complaining about feeling light headed for around 3 weeks now. It's there almost all the time. She also gets neck pain, headaches and has described a tingling in her lip. Her sugar readings have also been running a little high lately. They seem to remain level overnight. However, we're finding that she is having to have extra units of fast acting during the day for her food. For example, if she has a slice of toast, she is having to have more units than she would usually. She is sometimes having to have 2 or 3 units more that she would usually need for a meal. We can't increase her background insulin because her sugars will go low overnight. She eats a healthy diet, is a healthy weight and is in her early 30's. She also doesn't drink, smoke or take any medication. She has also been using the same insulin (Tresiba & Novorapid) for over a year now.

1. I guess my first question is - has anyone else experienced these symptoms recently? Her nurse has said that others had experienced these symptoms recently. Perhaps a virus? But after 3 weeks it's really getting her down. Her bloods etc are being tested at the doctors for vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

2. Whilst I'm on here. She also starting using the FreeStyle Libre sensor for a good few moths now. Every time she changes it there is always blood on the sensor and when she first started using it she complained of a tingling sensation in the arm, fingers etc of the arm it was placed in. She sometimes worries that her body is rejecting the sensors and this could be causing some of her symptoms.

If anyone has any comments or feedback on the questions above I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Blood from the centre of the Libre can happen. We're talking about a "hole punch" happening on application to allow the sensor filliment. There can be the odd "twang" if muscle tissue has been hit?

Is your wife also checking her BGs with her meter against the libre scan results regarding these errant BGs & dizzy spells?

taylorcreated

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you very much for all your replies.

We will leave the background the same since she is stable overnight.

It's reassuring to hear that others have blood on the Libre sensor as there is blood every time she takes it off.

Regarding the dizziness and high sugars, we are thinking that it is perhaps a virus. It just seems strange that it's lasted 3 weeks. Her blood test at the doctors looks to have come back normal, which is good in some ways. However, if they would have found an iron deficiency or something similar, at least that would have put her mind at rest. She always looks online and instantly worries she has something very serious wrong with her.

She has not had the COVID vaccine, however she has none of the usual symptoms of COVID (cough etc). That being said we've read online that you can get dizzy with it. But, I don't want to self diagnose online and start worrying her anymore. The doctor said he does not think it's COVID and not to have a test.

Yes she is still testing her sugars with the "pricker" when it says they are very high or low. Just because we find that sometimes the FreeStyle Libre sensor comes up with an inaccurate result. The light-headedness is almost constant.

We're supposed to be getting married in July. So it's a stressful time as the venue won't let us move date. So I don't think the stress of that is not helping her either. However, her sugars are jumping to 15/17 after eating at the minute, despite eating the same meals and injecting the same. So we are not convinced stress could have this much of an impact. What do you all think?

Kind Regards,

James

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Morning everyone,

Thank you very much for all your replies.

We will leave the background the same since she is stable overnight.

It's reassuring to hear that others have blood on the Libre sensor as there is blood every time she takes it off.

Regarding the dizziness and high sugars, we are thinking that it is perhaps a virus. It just seems strange that it's lasted 3 weeks. Her blood test at the doctors looks to have come back normal, which is good in some ways. However, if they would have found an iron deficiency or something similar, at least that would have put her mind at rest. She always looks online and instantly worries she has something very serious wrong with her.

She has not had the COVID vaccine, however she has none of the usual symptoms of COVID (cough etc). That being said we've read online that you can get dizzy with it. But, I don't want to self diagnose online and start worrying her anymore. The doctor said he does not think it's COVID and not to have a test.

Yes she is still testing her sugars with the "pricker" when it says they are very high or low. Just because we find that sometimes the FreeStyle Libre sensor comes up with an inaccurate result. The light-headedness is almost constant.

We're supposed to be getting married in July. So it's a stressful time as the venue won't let us move date. So I don't think the stress of that is not helping her either. However, her sugars are jumping to 15/17 after eating at the minute, despite eating the same meals and injecting the same. So we are not convinced stress could have this much of an impact. What do you all think?

Kind Regards,

James

Hi,

It don't always figure out the same result with the same dose for the same food. Especially on a different day.
What BG numbers is your fiancé getting prior to eating?