Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Evening everyone!

So, I'm on Metformin 500mg SR. Says on the instructions take twice a day with or just after meals morning and evening.

I wondered, as it is a glucophage retard, taking it at bedtime instead of dinner time could maybe improve control by reducing morning hyperglycemia - which is something I can suffer from.

Thoughts?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone!

So, I'm on Metformin 500mg SR. Says on the instructions take twice a day with or just after meals morning and evening.

I wondered, as it is a glucophage retard, taking it at bedtime instead of dinner time could maybe improve control by reducing morning hyperglycemia - which is something I can suffer from.

Thoughts?
Metformin/Glucophage XR/SR or slow release does not affect peaks or timing and reaches its maximum affect in 7 hours. Metformin in general affects how much its concentration is in blood after you start taking it regularly (within few weeks). So i really dont think timing should be an issue. Secondly, a diabetician told me that Metformin mostly helps lowering the high blood sugars to some levels but doesn't have much affect on near normal sugars. But having its concentration in blood definitely helps maintain your fasting sugar. If you are trying to control peaks then the standard release is best with each meal.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Metformin/Glucophage XR/SR or slow release does not affect peaks or timing and reaches its maximum affect in 7 hours. Metformin in general affects how much its concentration is in blood after you start taking it regularly (within few weeks). So i really dont think timing should be an issue. Secondly, a diabetician told me that Metformin mostly helps lowering the high blood sugars to some levels but doesn't have much affect on near normal sugars. But having its concentration in blood definitely helps maintain your fasting sugar. If you are trying to control peaks then the standard release is best with each meal.

Thank you v much @zamalik Very illuminating. Appreciated.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my doses of extended-release Metformin ..an hour after brekkie, and an hour after my evening meal ..according to 'Clinical Pocket Reference: Diabetes' by Anita Thynne; Francesca Arundel; Sue Cradock; Michael Cummings; Lisa Skinner (Publisher: Pennant Health Publishing) ..Metformin should be administered ✻with or after food✻

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My suggestion would be to avoid taking it with an empty stomach - of course, this is the same as ‘with food’.
The reason being that some people seem to find it has harsher gut effects on an empty stomach.