FBG and HBa1C relationship

Sal260

Hi! I was diagnosed last March. At the end of last month thought I would make a separate note of my fasting blood sugar every day and went into the contour app to back date too. Annoyingly found it went back only to October now rather than June when I bought it but that is by the by.

I couldn’t help noticing up until the end of November (when I had my last HBa1C done) I was in the mid to high 7s most of the time with the odd 6.9s. Since then I have been mostly in the 6’s with the odd accountable 7 and even some in the high 5’s.

Does this mean that come the middle of March when my next bloods are due I should see a further fall from my November result of 49?

It was 107 last March.

Would welcome your thoughts on this

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Possibly but it is a small data set and it depends on what has happened during the rest of each day. FBG is a spot check and Hba1c is an average.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

You may well see a fall, but your FBG is showing just that, a snapshot at the point you take it. One reading a day won’t give you any meaningful average of your blood glucose levels in general.

Even using a CGM such as the Libre or the Dexcom doesn’t give a precise indication of what the next HbA1c will be as that test uses a different measurement/process altogether.

Do you test at other times of the day? What are those trends showing?

Sal260

Hi there

You may well see a fall, but your FBG is showing just that, a snapshot at the point you take it. One reading a day won’t give you any meaningful average of your blood glucose levels in general.

Even using a CGM such as the Libre or the Dexcom doesn’t give a precise indication of what the next HbA1c will be as that test uses a different measurement/process altogether.

Do you test at other times of the day? What are those trends showing?

I’ve sorted out what spikes me these days so unless I have something different to eat. I do test before and within 2 hrs of meals for 7 days once a month tho. I run between 5 and 7 during the day as have done for ages, the only thing that has changed is the fasting one

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! I was diagnosed last March. At the end of last month thought I would make a separate note of my fasting blood sugar every day and went into the contour app to back date too. Annoyingly found it went back only to October now rather than June when I bought it but that is by the by.

I couldn’t help noticing up until the end of November (when I had my last HBa1C done) I was in the mid to high 7s most of the time with the odd 6.9s. Since then I have been mostly in the 6’s with the odd accountable 7 and even some in the high 5’s.

Does this mean that come the middle of March when my next bloods are due I should see a further fall from my November result of 49?

It was 107 last March.

Would welcome your thoughts on this
Hopefully you will see a drop but the meters are reasonably inaccurate (in the order of 15%) and as others have said are just snapshots in time. If you think about it, you will spoke after eating that will drop down, but that spike will increa3e your average and your meter won't show it

My meter readings before my previous hba1c were around 5 or so, now converting that would mean potentially a hba1c of 29, what I actually got was 38. Not complaining of course!

I'm currently hovering around 5 to 5.2 average, so ideally looking for similar hba1c as that'll mean I might drop off meds altogether as it appears halving Metformin had made minimal impact. My test is on Tuesday so expect to know actual results end of week

So it's a qualified maybe, < 48 is the value the NHS likes for T2 and you have dropped a great amount, much more than my drop (I'd hit 78 when I started to actively change after a decade or so) so well done for one thing, and I hope your levels are lower