Covid, diabetes and painkillers

wannaknow

Covid, diabetes and painkillers

can anyone tell me /explain me what to take for high temperature when you have a diabetes with Covid and high temperatures?

I am trying to find out to know it, however contacted the different painkillers providers (they tell to contact doctors) , even some doctors (gps has no knowledge about it), infoline (they tell you to contact GP)

so after weeks of investigations simply I don't know

- what to take for high temperatures when you have covid
- what to take for high temperature normally
- what painkillers to take for pains like tooth etc

there are many contradicting info online, some you cant take ibuprofen some you can only take it

so I would like you to share your knowledge and experience thanks a lot

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm allowed all common painkillers like paracetamol and ibuprofen.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never seen anything to say paracetamol cannot be taken.
I understand ibruprofen is only a problem in conjunction with certain meds like ciclosporin. Long term use slightly increases the risk of stroke and heart attack, and we’re at slightly higher risk of those anyway so they used to say to avoid it. But now and then won’t hurt.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to use paracetamol for most things, if that's not cutting it then 1 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen. My dentist recommended ibuprofen for toothache and for when I had an extraction.
Ibuprofen (and aspirin) should be taken with food, but paracetamol can be taken on an empty stomach.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
We just got a list of specific pain killers to avoid after getting the covid injection. I wish I could find it right now. There are pain killers that affect the effectiveness of the vaccine. We get this list as my spouse plans to get the second dose this week and then I do mine in the next week.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend not to take anything to bring down a high temperature unless I really can't bear it. The high temperature is the body's way of dealing with a virus so I let it do its work, as long as it doesn't go above 40 C I leave it alone. When I had Covid my temperature was raised by about 1.5 C so wasn't a problem.

My sons and I don't normally develop a bacterial infection after a virus if we haven't taken painkillers during the temperature phase.

For toothache, broken ribs and sternum, and broken wrist I took either paracetamol or ibuprofen ( or both ). I don't like anything stronger as in me it causes constipation which is the last thing I need when I am in pain.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
let me know if you got a list of specific pain killers to avoid after getting the covid injection
I'm confused. In your first post you asked about painkillers when having covid, now you ask about having them after having the vaccine.
Do you have covid? Or have you had the vaccine and are now running a fever and pain?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
let me know if you got a list of specific pain killers to avoid after getting the covid injection

Only a fool would do that. You need to understand some over the counter pain relief tablets are VERY dangerous to some and not to others. Please make sure you don't ask that question again should someone make the mistake in replying.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wannaknow

the answer to both your questions is straightforward.
If you any concerns about medications, interactions between health conditions and medications, or you have concerns about whether a medication is appropriate for you personally, then you should ask your doctor, a pharmacist, or another medical professional.

here in the UK we are able to walk into (or phone) any pharmacy and ask to speak to a qualified pharmacist. They can answer questions about over the counter medications, and advise you to contact your doctor if you are likely to need a prescription.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found my covid vaccination leaflet. It says to take the normal dose of paracetamol. Obviously they expect you to know if for any reason you can't have paracetamol, but that's the general advice.