Recipes

Philbrown1

I recieved a mailing in the post the other day from glucomen advertising there new meter, i went on there website to check it out and saw they had recipes on there. Has anyone tried any of them at all?

Big-J

Hi folks, although I have been diagnosed with T2 diabetes for the last 10 years I am at the moment on novorapid + lantus + metformin. Over the years I have tried all sorts of different combinations of food/diets to try and keep my BG's down sometimes with success and others without. Pre diabetes I used to eat lots of different fruits but now I don't bother because of the adverse effects to my BG's. At the moment I am really struggling to get my sugar levels down. I have C.O.P.D, heart desease and Osteoarthritis in my hips and lower back so I cannot exercise as I would like to...consequently my weight is soaring due to the high insulin doses I have to take to help keep those damned BG's low.
The other day I was talking to the warfarin nurse from my surgery and she said that pears are very good for diabetics and heart patients as they help to control blood sugar & blood cholesterol levels...I have never heard this before so I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this and if there is any truth in it..... I need something that will help desperately. :think:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pears are higher in carbs than apples presumably they have more sugar
CAROL

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Big-J and welcome to the forum, whilst pears are low GI they still contain between 7 and 12 or so grams of carbs so I would advise caution or at least suggest that you eat one and test before and after to see what effect they have on your bg levels. Also as they ripen more sugars are created so the riper the fruit the higher the sugar (fructose) levels generally.

Big-J said:
Over the years I have tried all sorts of different combinations of food/diets to try and keep my BG's down sometimes with success and others without.

Does that include a diet that reduces your carbohydrate intake? As it is carbs that send the bg levels up. Most T2's here use some form of carb control to control their diabetes with or without meds, some T1's also regulate their carb intake as it helps them use a minumum of insulin and can help stop high highs and low lows, how much carbs are reduced is very much up to the individual and what effect various foods have on their bg levels, some can eat one type of food and others can't so testing is of paramount importance not just to see what your levels are but to see how much each food type sends your bg level up, only by testing each food you eat before and after eating can you know how much of that food you can eat without spiking your blood sugars.

maggie2

A friend passed this on to me from Good Housekeeping. I haven't tried it yet but I think asparagus will be in season here
very soon so am looking forward to trying it.

Salmon and asparagus terrine

25ml olive oil
1 red chilli seeded and chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 inch root ginger grated
125g asparagus spears ends trimmed
200g smoked salmon in long thin slices
2 tbsp chopped dill
800 gm skinned boned salmon fillets ideally in one or two pieces
1 lemon

1. In small bowl mix the oil, chilli, garlic, ginger and plenty of seasoning
2. Bring pan of water to the boil and cook asparagus for 2-3 mins.
Drain and run under cold water to cool. Dry with kitchen paper.
3.Preheat oven to 180 (160 fan) mark 4.
Line 900gm tin (2 lb loaf tine) with a double layer of foil, lightly greased. Line as much of the inside of the tin with smoked salmon
Sprinkle in some of the dill and the oil mixture.
4. Trim half the quantity of salmon fillet to fit neatly inside the base of the tin. Neatly lay asparagus over in an even layer. Cover with remaining salmon and then last of dill and oil mixture.
5. Cover the terrine with reserved smoked salmon and wrap whole
Tin in several layers of foil. Put tin in roasting tin filled with boiling water half way up the tin.
Cook in oven 40 minutes until metal skewer held in the middle of
Terrine comes out warm
6. Leave to cool (still wrapped) in water. Transfer into a clean roasting tin lay cans or weights on and leave to chill overnight.
Carefully peel off the foil. Garnish with dill and lemon slices.

194 cals. 12g fat (2g saturates) 0.3g carbs (o.2 total sugars)

Bon appetit

justdavid

Dislikes
Diabetes.
Re: RecipesBlack Bean Nacho Pizza Pizza for Diabetics to e

Black Bean Nacho Pizza

Pizza for Diabetics to eat

Break out the napkins! This pie is an over-the-top, vegetarian concoction with black-bean spread, Jack cheese, tomatoes, scallions, olives and pickled jalapenos; it's part nacho, part pizza. For an even more decadent treat, serve with low-fat sour cream. Beer pairing: Spicy foods need spicy beers—go for an India Pale Ale (IPA). If you're not a hop-head, the malty sweetness of brown ales work well with the sweeter elements on the pizza.

6 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Great Pizza. Make your own dough with wheat flower or potato flour even better!!
INGREDIENTS
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
1 medium clove garlic, quartered
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Yellow cornmeal, for dusting
1 pound Easy Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough (recipe follows), or other prepared dough
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
4 medium scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped pitted ripe black olives
2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños
PREPARATION
Preheat grill to low. (For charcoal grilling or an oven variation, see below.)
Place beans, peppers, garlic, chili powder and salt in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
Sprinkle cornmeal onto a pizza peel or large baking sheet. Roll out the dough (see Tip) and transfer it to the prepared peel or baking sheet, making sure the underside of the dough is completely coated with cornmeal.
Slide the crust onto the grill rack; close the lid. Cook until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
Using a large spatula, flip the crust. Spread the bean mixture on the crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Quickly layer on cheese, tomatoes, scallions, olives and pickled jalapeños.
Close the lid again and grill until the cheese has melted and the bottom of the crust has browned, about 8 minutes.

TIPS & NOTES
Tip: To roll out pizza dough: When you're ready to get your pizzas on the grill, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust the top with flour; dimple with your fingertips to shape into a thick, flattened circle—don't worry if it's not perfectly symmetrical. Then use a rolling pin to roll into a circle about 14 inches in diameter.
Variations:
Pizza on a charcoal grill: Light 6 quarts (about 1 large chimney starter full) of charcoal and burn until the coals are mostly white, about 20 minutes. Spread the coals in an even layer. Place a grate over the coals. Let the coals burn until they are about medium-low. (Grill any toppings for the pizza while the coals are burning down.) To test the heat, hold your palm about 5 inches above the grill rack; if you can hold it there for about 8 seconds before you need to move it away, the fire is medium-low. Transfer the crust to the grill rack, cover the grill and cook the crust, checking once or twice, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the crust, quickly add the toppings, cover the grill and cook until the toppings are hot and the bottom of the crust has browned, 5 to 8 minutes. If your crust browns faster than your toppings are cooking, slide a baking sheet under the pizza to keep the crust from burning while the toppings finish.
Pizza in the oven: Place a pizza stone on the lowest rack; preheat oven to 450°F for at least 20 minutes. Roll out the dough and place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Slide the dough onto the preheated stone and cook until the bottom begins to crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven using a large spatula and place it uncooked-side down on the peel or baking sheet, making sure the underside of the crust is completely coated with cornmeal. Quickly add the toppings and slide the pizza back onto the stone. Continue baking until the toppings are hot and the bottom of the crust has browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
Individual variation:
The dough can be turned into 4 or 6 personal-size pizzas. After kneading, divide the dough into 4 or 6 equal balls. Brush with oil and place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Cover and set aside until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Roll each portion into a 6-to-8-inch circle.
NUTRITION
Per serving: 317 calories; 8 g fat ( 4 g sat , 2 g mono ); 17 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein;6 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 249 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat

Easy Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough

This homemade, yeasted whole-wheat pizza dough requires only one rising, not two, so it's quicker to make than you might suspect. Although bread flour provides more gluten to help the dough maintain its elasticity when shaped and baked, we tested the recipe with all-purpose flour and had good results. This sturdy dough was developed for grilled pizzas, but it can be used in any pizza recipe calling for 1 pound of pizza dough.

4-6 servings (1 pound pizza dough)
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water, (105-115°F)
1 package active dry yeast, (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup bread flour, or all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
PREPARATION
Stir water, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl; let stand until the yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Stir in whole-wheat flour, bread flour (or all-purpose flour) and cornmeal until the dough begins to come together.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, mix the dough in a food processor. Process until it forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.)
Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. (To make individual pizzas, see Variation.) Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.Individual variation: The dough can be turned into 4 or 6 personal-size pizzas. After kneading, divide the dough into 4 or 6 equal balls. Brush with oil and place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Cover and set aside until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Roll each portion into a 6-to-8-inch circle.
TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Or tightly wrap the unrisen dough in oiled plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost the dough in the refrigerator overnight. Let refrigerated (or previously frozen) dough stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
NUTRITION
Per pound: 970 calories; 5 g fat ( 1 g sat , 1 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 200 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein;22 g fiber; 1152 mg sodium; 782 mg potassium.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the carbs in this would be far too high for most of us ,it certainly would be for me
CAROL

A

Anonymous

Here is a recipe you might like to try, its a variation on Thai "Tom Yum" soup, but includes ingredients with known anti-hyperglycaemic effects.

1) Take some shell on prawns (cooked). Head, tail and peel them and put the shells, heads etc into a pan. Pour on boiling water and simmer. Use a 'masher' to squash them down to extract all the flavour contained within. Reserve the prawns till later; don't be tempted to eat any!
2) Chop: a couple of shallots finely, a piece of turmeric root (available from Asian stores - my Morrisons now sells it), a clove of garlic, a red chilli, a piece of lemon grass. Put a small knob of butter in a medium sauce pan, melt, and add the chopped ingredients, cover and sweat down gently for a few minutes.
3) Strain off the prawn stock from the shells and in to the pan of chopped ingredients.
4) Add half a can of coconut milk and two or three bay leaves, a sprinkling of ground coriander and 2 teasp. ground fenugreek, salt, pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5) Strain off the soup and chuck away the residual chopped ingredients, bay leaves etc.
6) Add some fine sliced button mushrooms and a few whole ones, plus a desert spoon of basmati rice. Simmer for another 5 mins.
7) Add the peeled prawns and then serve in soup bowls with a sprinkling of chopped parsley. Truly Yum yum. I love it and make it 2 to 3 times a week.

The curcumin contained within the turmeric root, the fenugreek and the bay leaves - all have anti-hyperglycaemic properties. The chilli makes you sweat which is good for loosing weight.