Pregnant with non-diabetic reactive hypoglycaemia

Cry18

Hello everyone,

Has anyone been pregnant with this? As I’m currently pregnant and monitored my blood sugar for two weeks at around eight weeks which was all fine, I’ve got to monitor again when I get to 28 weeks to check for gestational diabetes and I’ve been trying to avoid sugar as much as I can but sometimes I just want a brownie. Would there be any damage done to the baby from the occasional low?

I’ve not had a lot of support from the midwives, not through any fault of their own but they’d never even heard of this before and the diabetes team didn’t seem to know much about it either so I’d love to speak to anyone who’s been through pregnancy with it.

CathytheChef

I've been advised that hypos don't harm the baby at all - they can still get the glucose they need even if you're very low. The real concern with hypos in pregnancy is your safety, because of course if you're in danger then so is your baby. Highs are much more dangerous to the baby. Maybe you could go for a walk after your brownie to bring your blood down before your body overreacts? I've no idea if that would work for you - just an idea! You can buy a libre for 48 pounds (lasts 2 weeks) and then you could experiment a bit and see what helps?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Cry18
And welcome to the forum.

First of all I have no chance of being pregnant, as I'm an OAP, my betrothed has a spinal injury, and to cap it all off, I am a man!

Can I say that now?

I have reactive hypoglycaemia and you are correct most of the people who look after your health, have no idea, what RH is and the details of how to stop having hypos.

Basically the cause is an imbalance in your hormonal response to carbs, you spike quickly depending on how much carbs are in the meal, you don't have enough insulin to help the glucose spike. That triggers a secondary response called an overshoot of insulin, which in turn drives down your blood sugar levels down into hypoglycaemia.

Use your glucometer before and after meals, to discover which foods spike you. And the ones that are ok.
With my RH, I am carb intolerant, in other words, I avoid carbs as much as possible.
My intolerance to carbs include, wheat, oats, other grains, any sugary foods, pastry, pasta, rice, cakes including brownies and starchy vegetables especially potatoes. On top of that I am lactose intolerant.
For every carb that you don't eat, there is a low carb alternative.
We have our own forum on here, you will read how we control the condition.
Also I recommend dietdoctor.com for low carb ideas.

Stay safe.