Readings get higher during day.

Bridget66

Hi, I’m still experimenting with foods and monitoring BG, but am finding my readings are getting higher at each testing as the day goes on, with my highest just before bedtime. Is this usual?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum.
It depends what you are eating - I was following a cholesterol lowering regime with lots of healthy carbs and ended up practically spherical and a full blown type two diabetic.
I was never tested for diabetes until I was 65 years old, so I have no data, but these days I eat low carb and have normal levels.
What sort of things do you eat in a typical day?

Reactions: Bridget66

DanW13

Hi, I’m still experimenting with foods and monitoring BG, but am finding my readings are getting higher at each testing as the day goes on, with my highest just before bedtime. Is this usual?

I used to get fairly high readings on my Libre just before bedtime, lowest readings were always overnight (3am - 6am). Think it maybe partly natural, liver maybe dumping one final load of glucose just before you sleep to keep the body going through the night. One way I found of reducing this is a glass of red wine in the evening, for me it pulled readings back & kept them lower.

Reactions: ert

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, are you on any medication at all, (I see you are pre diabetic). x

Bridget66

Thank you for your replies,
I’m not on any meds currently. I have a dairy allergy and don’t eat much meat. I tend to have either whole grain cereal & hemp milk, whole grain toast & almond butter or eggs for breakfast. Have a small lunch on the go, usually quorn & salad or crackers & hummus. Main meal in evening is usually either fish, veg, quorn, whole grain rice, potatoes, with fruit or dark chocolate after. I’m trying to eat to my BG readings but it does seem that whether I have minimal carbs or carbs at every meal BG still climbs by bedtime, the numbers are just different accordingly. The dumping syndrome by the liver sounds like a possibility, I hadn’t heard of it before.
I vary between 50-90g carbs daily.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies,
I’m not on any meds currently. I have a dairy allergy and don’t eat much meat. I tend to have either whole grain cereal & hemp milk, whole grain toast & almond butter or eggs for breakfast. Have a small lunch on the go, usually quorn & salad or crackers & hummus. Main meal in evening is usually either fish, veg, quorn, whole grain rice, potatoes, with fruit or dark chocolate after. I’m trying to eat to my BG readings but it does seem that whether I have minimal carbs or carbs at every meal BG still climbs by bedtime, the numbers are just different accordingly. The dumping syndrome by the liver sounds like a possibility, I hadn’t heard of it before.
I vary between 50-90g carbs daily.
It could be the number or type of carbs you’re eating as rice, potatoes and bread - regardless of colour contain a lot of carbs although there are a few lower carb breads out there - I have Hovis Pumpkin and Sunflower at 9g per slice or Hovis Seeded (in orange packaging) at 13g per slice. Another one is Tesco’s High Protein at 9g per slice but they changed the recipe so I’m not so keen on it now. I try to have no more than 130g carbs per day and find that rice affects my BS more than the other 2. Have you tried rinsing your cooked rice in cold water and then reheating as I find this helps - I do the same with pasta but I tend to have cauliflower rice these days.

Bridget66

Thank you Daphne, this is really helpful info. I’m starting to realise that I have better BS with barely any carbs a day, 100g is too much it seems & as you say, the colour of them doesn’t really make a difference to me. I will definitely look at the bread you’ve suggested, and maybe try making some almond bread?