Cold when BG are high

Abo2000

Hi all,

Does anyone else feel like their throat and lungs are cold when your blood glucose levels go too high?

If so, why?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find high and low blood sugars will exaggerate any sniffs, sores, aches and niggles.
If, for example, I suffered from hay fever, I would feel worse when my blood sugars are high. Likewise, when high, my old sports shoulder injury aches more.

so, whilst, I do not experience the same symptoms as you, I could imagine it is possible.

Reactions: Abo2000

arclite

Hi all,

Does anyone else feel like their throat and lungs are cold when your blood glucose levels go too high?

If so, why?
We are all individual experiments in evolution! Did you ever stop to think that you are currently residing in a living body that has survived for more than 400 million years of continuous generations? Do you have living parents, perhaps grand parents or even great grand parents if you are lucky. In years to come you too will become a parent and soon after you will witness your grand children's birthday parties... this is a continuous process that reaches far back in time to the earliest days of life on this planet. There is a continuous line of ancestry to the first actual living organism from which all life originated and through small changes to our response to our environment, we have developed relevant advantages to the current environment that have given our family a better chance of surviving and by surviving we have passed those advantages down through our family line by recording how to recreate the advantage in our genes. This is the process of Natural Selection also known as "Evolution"

So what you have described is apparently your ability to sense high blood glucose? There are two more questions I would like to ask you?
Q1. Do you feel this "coldness of the throat and lungs" every time you have high blood glucose?
Q2. What is the glucose meter reading whenever you feel this "coldness" sensation?

Until you have a clearer understanding of your apparent sensation, it is more important to monitor your blood glucose with a meter at regular times of the day e.g. immediately before mealtimes to adjust your insulin dosage and resulting blood glucose level 2-3 hours after mealtimes. Good diabetes management is all about keeping blood glucose between 4-6 mmol per ml. It takes constant practice but it is very rewarding when you find you can do this. Every time blood glucose levels exceed 10 mmol per ml, the wrong kinds of chemical reactions take place between glucose and proteins of the body. Since proteins make up the majority of the active machinery of the cells of the body, damage occurs that is small but is also cumulative, it is always additional to what existed before. With good management, this will never become a problem. But sadly many people are unaware they have diabetes and lack any knowledge to control it. It is here that damage can become a serious problem in later life, otherwise known as "Lifestyle Diseases" due to the gradual accumulation of damage to their bodily systems until it threatens their ability to continue. But again with diabetes, the more you learn about diabetes and how to improve your management of your condition, what kinds of foods are beneficial, how important Vitamins are especially with diabetes and of course regular sports and exercise in maintaining vascular functioning and healthy hands and feet.

By observing good practices in keeping yourself active and interested in your environment, your personal exploration of evolution will be passed onto the subsequent generations by small changes in your genetic makeup and sensible decisions to keep our environment safe from overwhelming climate changes. By teaching your children, grand children and even great grand children how to stay as active and healthy as yourself when you get to 110 years old, you will encourage a winning combination of good lifestyle and good attitude towards their amazing 400+ million year old bodies?