"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Pan fried haddock topped with a couple of dry fried eggs for breakfast. Libre keeps sounding its alarm to tell me my BG is over 14.5. The highest it has been was 15.9.

I've been sorting out the vegetable basket in the larder and found onions which needed attention (outer skins removed and left ready to slice or chop), a butternut squash which should have been used a couple of weeks ago and some sprouting Maris Piper potatoes. Making butternut squash and lentil soup at present, par-boiling chunks of salvaged potato as well. Not sure what I'll do with the potatoes - maybe mash and put into the freezer to use some other time. The soup will do for my second meal today. No idea how much carb is in it, but it can't be too much in the course of the day.

DIL went to the mainland to pick up a trailer to carry laundry and took Em with her but she slipped over in her Dad's bathroom and broke some ribs! Nevertheless, she will have to drive back to Skye later today to get the ferry tomorrow and then drive back through Harris and Lewis to get home. Her elder daughter is going to have to step up to do more of the laundry work - she has the baby to look after but DIL has been carrying her as a partner, since early in her pregnancy, so it's her turn to do more of the work. No 2 son will do as much as he can, as will Em, but their contribution is bound to be limited. That's the problem with being a single trader - no sick leave! Not sure if I can be of any help. I've offered, but we'll see what DIL says when she gets home.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - it takes time to get used to the quirks of the Libre. I've gone onto it full time now they have removed my strips from my repeat prescription. I'm self funding and, although expensive, it's cheaper than self funding the strips I'd need plus it gives me more information. I do, however, still need strips as the Libre needs a check every so often in case it is "out" by too much. A series of rogue readings can be reported to Abbott and they'll replace it. I had a rogue sensor before this one which they replaced. It was measuring over by 4 or 5 for about 1 week which is outwith Abbott's parameters.
What I've found with the Libre is it needs time to settle. I always try to attach it at least one day before I activate it. I found that activation shortly after attaching it leads to readings that are "out" for about 24 hrs. I still do odd readings for a couple of days after activating and in the final 2 days before it is replaced. I've found these are periods when inaccurate readings occur. I just add a note to the reading in the logbook to say what the fingerprick readings are. Other times I've noticed they can be out when BGs are rising rapidly or falling to low levels. I'm not talking loads of finger pricks, just an occasional few to check accuracy. Always scan about 10 mins after the finger prick.
They are really useful for seeing trends though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - it takes time to get used to the quirks of the Libre. I've gone onto it full time now they have removed my strips from my repeat prescription. I'm self funding and, although expensive, it's cheaper than self funding the strips I'd need plus it gives me more information. I do, however, still need strips as the Libre needs a check every so often in case it is "out" by too much. A series of rogue readings can be reported to Abbott and they'll replace it. I had a rogue sensor before this one which they replaced. It was measuring over by 4 or 5 for about 1 week which is outwith Abbott's parameters.
What I've found with the Libre is it needs time to settle. I always try to attach it at least one day before I activate it. I found that activation shortly after attaching it leads to readings that are "out" for about 24 hrs. I still do odd readings for a couple of days after activating and in the final 2 days before it is replaced. I've found these are periods when inaccurate readings occur. I just add a note to the reading in the logbook to say what the fingerprick readings are. Other times I've noticed they can be out when BGs are rising rapidly or falling to low levels. I'm not talking loads of finger pricks, just an occasional few to check accuracy. Always scan about 10 mins after the finger prick.
They are really useful for seeing trends though.

I had heard that the Libre could be a bit dodgy at times, which is why I checked with a finger prick test when it indicated that BG was dropping too low. It wasn't, both times it was between 7 and 8. I've just been assuming that it is giving me the trend, rather than the actual figure but not giving it a serious test by comparing with finger pricks most of the time. It seems to be indicating that my BG is fairly evenly higher than I want it - no huge rises but no huge drops either. Must make checks more consistently until I am used to it.

There are several things I must do, but due to poor sleep pattern at night, I keep falling asleep during the day and I forget what I meant to do. One thing I must do is see if I can get an appointment with the podiatrist - haven't heard that they are giving appointments, but I must try. My feet are being really odd, due to the fluid retained and as well as having tight and sore skin, they are now blotched red and white. This is one of the issues the GP was trying to deal with but they are getting nowhere. Maybe the podiatrist won't either but at least they can see if they can find a pulse under all the swelling, which the diabetic nurse couldn't.

Quite a few potato things in the freezer from my clearing/cooking yesterday. I'm hoping that once it has been in the freezer, the potato won't be quite so harmful to my BG.

Breakfast was a couple of dry fried eggs with RyVita crispbread. I have some of the leftovers soup I made yesterday for a meal later on today. I have a cold, so I'm not too hungry today.

I checked BG with a finger prick test 15 minutes ago and it read 13.2. The Libre is currently showing 12, so it's a bit out, but not much really.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
12 to 13.2 is within their parameters. They regard up to 2 as being within limits. When they settle I tend to find they're usually about 0.6 of a difference. Podiatrists here worked right through lockdown although originally it was only for emergency cases. I've certainly been seeing mine for a while now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre seems to have settled down this morning to read exactly the same as my Accucheck meter - FBG 13.5, although the alarm sounded on the Libre because it went up to 14.7 about half an hour ago. (Some more of the soup for breakfast.)

Of course, I forgot, today is the May bank holiday, so no clinics, or even GP working, so will have to wait until tomorrow. Our hospital podiatrists cancelled all appointments last March (just as I was about to go for my appointment). There is a private podiatrist on the Island, but he was snowed under with hospital clients and couldn't take on anyone else. I'll probably find that they are working, but haven't bothered to let anyone know. I'm probably not proactive enough!

Still some soup left, so I'll probably have that later on. I'm actually hungry already, so may not manage on 2 meals today.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a phone consultation with the GP. My BG is currently ranging from about 9 towards mealtime to around 14.5 and what does she suggest? Reduce carbs to as close to zero as possible, and eat more green leafy veg! That's a complete reverse of her previous advice. I did say that I was eating GF bread at 10 g carbs per slice and she says to stop that - it's 10 g too much! No obvious carbs to be taken at all. Too late today - I've already had 2 fried eggs and 2 slices of GF bread toasted - so 20 g carb today already. And I've made a chicken and lentil stew for lunch. No lentils to be eaten. I'm not changing it now and intend to eat my stew as my other meal today.

She also suggested NOT drinking the recommended amount of fluid in an attempt to reduce the swelling in my legs and feet. It was another GP who said I should be drinking 2L of fluids a day but she's recommending cutting down to 1.5L.

So I guess I'm back on the very low carb trail again.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a phone consultation with a podiatrist. My pulses were OK 15 months ago and my description led her to believe that the fact that the diabetes nurse couldn't find any pulses in my feet is just due to oedema and she's not bothered. She says that the podiatry department won't be offering any footcare appointments in future - folk are on their own as far as that is concerned and are expected to get family or friends to take care of it, if they can't manage themselves. They might, in a few months, start offering diabetic reviews again. I can't see what the hold up is. Maybe they've got rid of most of their staff for some reason.

Really trying hard today to eat nothing carb heavy. Bacon and eggs for breakfast and a new thought of cabbage balls stuffed with pork and cheese for my 2nd meal today. It might not work and might not be enough, so I'll try to make some veg soup as a standby.

Not keen on doing what the GP suggested and reduce fluid intake by 1/2 litre, so I'll just cut out 1/4 litre and see how I get on.

I'm getting a bit fed up with the health services here. I suppose I really ought to take more responsibility for my own health. Trouble with that is that I'm not confident that I know what to do. For example, I asked DIL to get me a product called Cryotag on the mainland to try to deal with a plethora of skin tags that have developed but now that I have it, there are all sorts of warnings about not using it if you are diabetic, tags are not all skin coloured, ever had skin cancer or ever had pre cancerous cells anywhere on the body! All of those apply to me. But should I use this product that cost me £27? I feel like saying "what the hell" and getting on with it, but I'm uncertain.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Decided to use the e-consult service at our doctors' practice and asked about the Cryotag. Fully expected them to say not to use it and just put up with the irritation but they said make an appointment, the tags need to be seen. They also said that the reason for diabetics not to use it is that, should the skin break and an infection set in, it would be harder to heal than the average person.

Had a formal notice in the post to say that I should get my family or friend to see to my feet in future. The only way I would be seen by podiatrists is if I have an emergency (feet falling off, I suppose). Apparently this is the way they are going to operate in future because of the covid thing, so I guess they think that isn't going to go away.

Legs have been very bad the last few days - that zeroderm brought my varicose eczema (if that's what it is) out in even more blisters, which have started breaking and weeping. Yuk! Plus I can barely move with my arthritis, but I can't stay in the chair or bed for very long either. What a mess I am. Odd thing is, I still feel about 22, not 75!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 7.9 but it's already up to 12.5 and I suppose it will keep rising until I take some insulin and have breakfast.

That will be before 10 am because I have to go to the pharmacy when they open and will also go to the local shop to see if I can get some of the things Neil couldn't get yesterday when he went to the supermarket for me. Still struggling to walk, but I have managed to get my compression hose on over the blistered legs this morning, so that should help. That's if the car will start - we've been having trouble with the battery recently - we replaced it, but it still manages to discharge itself if the car is stationary for 24 hours. The garage can't figure out why, and nor can Neil, so we have a hefty booster to help out when it won't work, but I can't put it on, so have to wait for Neil to do it.

Breakfast will be the last couple of rashers of bacon and 2 of the 4 remaining eggs and maybe some mushrooms. Later I have some lamb chops to do something with.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 7.9 but it's already up to 12.5 and I suppose it will keep rising until I take some insulin and have breakfast.
Have you spoken about correction doses with your DSN? Or is there another reason why you'll wait for food before taking insulin?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I did speak to the diabetes nurse at the clinic about correction doses and she was vehement that it was definitely no no! BG kept rising to 15.9 before I got around to breakfast. Been dropping slowly ever since and currently 9.1. The Libre keeps me going and keeps yelling at me that my BG is too high. Might have to figure out how to set the alarm level much higher, or turn it off.

No food since breakfast (currently 5.15 pm) so that's what has brought my BG down as far as it is but now I'm feeling pretty nauseous and the only thing that will ever fix that is a packet of salty crisps. That has always been the case - a fact discovered when I was a child and the only thing that would ease travel sickness was the ham rolls my mother used to pack for everybody's lunch - there was never enough left for everyone by the time we got to our destination. It was the essential mix of carbohydrate and salt that helped. Just having a packet of crisps - not the thing I should be doing trying to stay low carb but it can't be helped.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I did speak to the diabetes nurse at the clinic about correction doses and she was vehement that it was definitely no no!
Did she also tell you why?
It doesn't make sense to me, so I'd want a good explanation. I mean, her pancreas is happily splurging out insulin when she doesn't eat to keep her BG in range, why shouldn't you have insulin when your BG tells you you have too little of it at the moment?
Also, correction doses are pretty standard practice for people on a basal/bolus regime, so I'd want to know why it's different for you.
The Libre keeps me going and keeps yelling at me that my BG is too high. Might have to figure out how to set the alarm level much higher
I agree! If you have no means to do something about a high BG because you are told not to take insulin for it, it's no use to have the thing screaming at you to tell you you're high!

In the mean time, would it be an idea to eat a little something right after waking up and take insulin with that, if your DN insists not to take insulin without food, instead of waiting until you went high? The 7.9 upon waking is rather nice, would be even nicer if you could prevent spiking before breakfast.

Good luck!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did she also tell you why?
It doesn't make sense to me, so I'd want a good explanation. I mean, her pancreas is happily splurging out insulin when she doesn't eat to keep her BG in range, why shouldn't you have insulin when your BG tells you you have too little of it at the moment?
Also, correction doses are pretty standard practice for people on a basal/bolus regime, so I'd want to know why it's different for you.

I agree! If you have no means to do something about a high BG because you are told not to take insulin for it, it's no use to have the thing screaming at you to tell you you're high!

In the mean time, would it be an idea to eat a little something right after waking up and take insulin with that, if your DN insists not to take insulin without food, instead of waiting until you went high? The 7.9 upon waking is rather nice, would be even nicer if you could prevent spiking before breakfast.

Good luck!

DN didn't explain why not to use a correction dose. She was so horrified at the idea that I just backed down. One problem I have is lack of confidence and lack of ability to comprehend (brain doesn't work so well these days). So I do tend to back down. Might think about this again - all other advice from doctor seems to have changed, so maybe this has too. However, DN doesn't agree with the doctor on my treatment anyway.

I'll need to dig out the instructions to find out how to change the settings on my Libre. If I can't figure it out, I'll have to ask Neil. Just bought myself an alarm which will go off in Neil's bedroom if I fall over in the night - a distinct possibility these days (or nights rather). He's had to plug it in to his computer's battery backup because it would sound an alarm in the event of a power cut. I hadn't thought of that - we do get power cuts or brown outs fairly frequently.

Yes, I think I will have to take insulin and have something to eat early on - however early that might be - usually about 4 am these days. That's when BG starts to rise. Just wondering whether to do that before my basal dose - which is usually about 8 or 9 am. Might just bring the basal dose forward a bit as well. I used to take it about midnight but DN said to bring it forward to the morning. It did have an effect at first, but that only lasted about a week. Might just take it whenever I have to get up in the morning - be that 3 am/4 am/5 am and see whether that has any effect. Experimenting is all very well if you know what you're doing! The Libre will help with that so that, even if I don't really understand, at least I can see the effect.

It's quite alarming what has happened to my brain power recently - might be the covid effect or might be some kind of early dementia (I hope not).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
4.30 am on Sunday. I advanced my basal dose to 4 am having had to get up and take Co-codamol at 3.15 am. I was about to have a cup of tea and see what effect that had but on checking BG it was already up from 7.2 to 8.3. Can't eat just now - stomach playing up but if I can get it settled I'll have some yoghurt and a small dose of insulin. Shouldn't need much insulin with yoghurt so I'll have to have a think about how much to take.

Lamb chops were very nice last night, but it was very late before I had them - I'd had to go to bed, feeling very poorly, and I slept for 3 hours. I got some more bacon and eggs at the local shop yesterday, so that will be for breakfast when I get around to it. Something veggie for later, I expect.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Libre settings @Annb, I use the App on my smartphone. I assume you are using Abbott's reader? To change the range on the App you click on the vertical dots at the top right then select App Settings, the range and alter the range. I believe that the lower end won't let you go below 3.7. Never tested what the higher end can go to.
I would assume the reader is the same. Look for the reader settings and alter the range. You'll still see when it is high as you have to scan at least once ever 8 hours anyway but you'll get some relief from it screaming at you.

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the idea of a 'waking pre-breakfast' sounds good :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Maglil. I've just worked it out and have turned the higher alarm off altogether. I don't have a smartphone so I am using the Abbott reader.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's currently 11.20 pm. I went to bed early, but couldn't relax - pains in shoulders, hips and legs so I got up again and have taken some pain killers and am no longer sleepy.

So - I didn't feel like eating or cooking, so I just had some berries and cream for my 2nd meal of the day. I did take insulin, but BG level is currently up to 11.5 - the highest it's been all day. I probably haven't had enough fluid today, so might have to do something about that before I go back to bed - whenever that will be.

I usually feel a lot brighter after speaking to my brother on the phone, but we spoke this evening and I am left feeling quite low. He seems to think our generation has outlived its era on earth and that the next ones are both callous, selfish and unable to think logically and are heading into barbarism. Not a happy conversation. My only hope is that Em and her generation will be an improvement and won't be too corrupted by the state of the world. Oh come on Ann, cheer up!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG has been a bit up and down from an early start of 12.5 to 4.3 and an alarm from the Libre. It's not really under control, but the early mini breakfast seems to be helping at the moment.

Just received 3 rhubarb plants in the post. I like rhubarb as a vegetable, especially when it's forced, with smoked fish and gammon and we can only get it rarely, so I wanted to grow some - we used to grow it very successfully. Now I just have to plant it.

Reactions: maglil55