Sugar free sweets?

Hlb81

My husband was given these the other day and over the week has eaten the full box, I’m not sure they are ok to have as they have high carbohydrates in, can anyone help and settle my mind please?

Attachments

• F5FCDDDD-A95A-4EAA-B67B-B7471AAC85DF.jpeg
    F5FCDDDD-A95A-4EAA-B67B-B7471AAC85DF.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 132

sgm14

I’m not sure they are ok to have as they have high carbohydrates in, can anyone help and settle my mind please

This is probably one of those cases where you want to be wrong, but unfortunately you are correct. The figure to go by is the total carbs as almost all carbs eventually turn to glucose and the only difference between sugar and non-sugar carbs is how quickly it affects your blood sugar.

How big was the box? (It says 13 servings, but I'm not sure what a serving is)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
These normally are ok

They have replaced the sugar with sucralose which the body can’t process so while it is carbs it should have little effect

But it will act as a laxative so should be eaten sparingly

Data from elsewhere:

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener and sugar substitute. The majority of ingested sucralose is not broken down by the body, so it is noncaloric

Sucralose and other artificial sweeteners are notorious for causing laxative effects — bloating, diarrhea, gas

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isomalt and sucralose are both artificial sweeteners, ie. Created chemically.
On paper, and on some peoples meters, they may not raise blood sugar but I, for one, am being very sceptical about what long effects they may prove to have on our bodies and our health.
They haven't been around in the human diet very long in evolutionary terms and I suspect we may just be building up problems for the future.
Other sweeteners are similar.
Proponents of the real food and anti food addiction movements would also argue they keep our taste for sweet things high, making it more difficult to resist anything else sweet as well

So all in all, I try (and sometime fail) to avoid them. They might be a useful crutch initially but there are so many people out there now using sweeteners as an everyday alternative to sugar that I think we might just be replacing one problem with another.

Just my very personal opinion, and posting as someone guilty of falling of the wagon herself yesterday:shy:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Isomalt and sucralose are both artificial sweeteners, ie. Created chemically.
On paper, and on some peoples meters, they may not raise blood sugar but I, for one, am being very sceptical about what long effects they may prove to have on our bodies and our health.
They haven't been around in the human diet very long in evolutionary terms and I suspect we may just be building up problems for the future.
Other sweeteners are similar.
Proponents of the real food and anti food addiction movements would also argue they keep our taste for sweet things high, making it more difficult to resist anything else sweet as well

So all in all, I try (and sometime fail) to avoid them. They might be a useful crutch initially but there are so many people out there now using sweeteners as an everyday alternative to sugar that I think we might just be replacing one problem with another.

Just my very personal opinion, and posting as someone guilty of falling of the wagon herself yesterday:shy:

Certainly not good for the environment the amount of methane it can produce

Hlb81

This is probably one of those cases where you want to be wrong, but unfortunately you are correct. The figure to go by is the total carbs as almost all carbs eventually turn to glucose and the only difference between sugar and non-sugar carbs is how quickly it affects your blood sugar.

How big was the box? (It says 13 servings, but I'm not sure what a serving is)
It was a 44g box

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not had any of these for years but when I do eat them it’s 1 or 2 but that’s because of what else is in them. Can’t see it affecting sugar levels surely but not sure what a full box would do to the system.

Hlb81

Thank you all, it certainly explains some of the unwanted ‘effects’ he’s been suffering from the past week - hopefully he’s learnt his lesson.

sgm14

It was a 44g box

So that is 42g for the whole box, which over a week is only about 6g per day and presumably about 2 mints per day.
As a one off, I can't see there being any reason to worry.

When I was diagnosed, I was told that the stuff they add to 'diabetic sweets' and 'diabetic chocolate' was just as bad for everyone as normal sweets and chocolate were to diabetes.