Is anyone trying out the poseidon study for themselves ?

Mr Whippy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi -

I came across some information on the Poseidon study the other day whilst looking up information on vitamin D. https://www.diabetesresearch.org/DR...s-of-omega-3-and-vitamin-d-in-type-1-diabetes

Now I'm just wondering if anyone is trying to replicate this for themselves on a "DIY" basis ?

Now I'm already running a high vitamin D level as it's keeping my insomnia at bay - see here - https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fixed-my-sleep-problems.181286/

So I'm thinking as I'm already halfway to the "poseidon cocktail" - I'm going to get myself some Omega 3 as well and throw it into the mix as an experiment.

Has anyone else tried this approach ?

Dave.

T1 since 1996
Insulin pump, Libre 2.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Never heard of it, but I do take vit d and omega 3 already.
I also aim to take vit D3 and omega 3 daily, but typically a few misses so probably 5 times a week? Vit D originally prescribed by my endo as levels were almost unmeasurable.

Reactions: zand

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mr Whippy
How long ago were you diagnosed T1?
From a quick look at the first link in your original post it looks like they are just doing a phase 1 trial aiming at comparing the newly diagnosed with longer established T1s, to see if the treatment combo (omega 3s and vit D) can slow the development of T1.
From that info, it will be interesting to see the outcome, but I don't see how it would benefit a T1 after their honeymoon period.
I may have missed something though?

Mr Whippy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mr Whippy
How long ago were you diagnosed T1?
From a quick look at the first link in your original post it looks like they are just doing a phase 1 trial aiming at comparing the newly diagnosed with longer established T1s, to see if the treatment combo (omega 3s and vit D) can slow the development of T1.
From that info, it will be interesting to see the outcome, but I don't see how it would benefit a T1 after their honeymoon period.
I may have missed something though?

Yes, I'm 25yrs T1, so would have been out of scope for that study - They were doing 50% still in the honeymoon phase and 50% with an upper limit of 10 years from diagnosis if I read the paper right..

Still - I thought it might be worth a shot esp as I'm fully loaded up with vit D anyway, and intend to remain so.

However I had a quick calculation for the Omega 3 oil - their starting dose is 150mg of epa/dha per kg of bodyweight, I have some capsules that are 687mg each, that means I need to take 18 capsules a day ! - I need to find a cheaper source of Omega 3 otherwise this little experiment is going to get pretty pricey !

Well at least Vit D is cheap....:)

Dave.

T1 since 1996
Insulin pump, Libre 2.

Last edited:

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I'm 25yrs T1, so would have been out of scope for that study - They were doing 50% still in the honeymoon phase and 50% with an upper limit of 10 years from diagnosis if I read the paper right..

Still - I thought it might be worth a shot esp as I'm fully loaded up with vit D anyway, and intend to remain so.

However I had a quick calculation for the Omega 3 oil - their starting dose is 150mg of epa/dha per kg of bodyweight, I have some capsules that are 687mg each, that means I need to take 18 capsules a day ! - I need to find a cheaper source of Omega 3 otherwise this little experiment is going to get pretty pricey !

Well at least Vit D is cheap....:)

Dave.

T1 since 1996
Insulin pump, Libre 2.
Thanks for posting Very interesting. I too have very low unexplained vitamin D levels so already supplement. I eat quite a few foods with omega 3 but have just ordered a supplement to see if a boost will help. My Triglycerides are slowly rising so it should at least help with this! I am having to take more and more Levemir at the moment, my nurse is suggesting switching to Tresiba. I am 3 years in with Type 1 LADA. I will see if there is any improvement.

Mr Whippy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does your diet include foods that contain Omega 3? Things like greens, nuts, oily fish, gas? I can’t find many quantity/gram figures but there’s this

https://www.heartuk.org.uk/low-cholesterol-foods/omega-3-fats

Greens, nuts, oily fish - yes.
Gas :D - no. Gas does come out though !

I looked up some food info, the food with the highest amount of EPA / DHA is Salmon or Mackerel.
For me to get 12600 mg I would have to eat 1.3 lbs or over 1/2 a kilo of fish every day !
Now I do like a bit of fish occasionally but I'm going to struggle getting that down. :)

Seriously, this is VERY large amounts of omega 3.

So I've done a couple of days of the high doses but it's obviously not sustainable for me long term so I'll just stick to a couple of capsules every day from now on and wait for the results of the trial. My vit D is good though, 115 nmol/L last time I checked it.

Dave.

Last edited: