Recommendations - R-ALA

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been recommended to take R-ALA (non diabetes reasons) and wondered if anyone could recommend a specific brand that they have found helpful. Many thanks.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe @ickihun takes or used to take R-Ala, she may have some recommendations.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been recommended to take R-ALA (non diabetes reasons) and wondered if anyone could recommend a specific brand that they have found helpful. Many thanks.

Hi @Goonergal,

At the beginning of my diabetic journey, I once ordered R-ALA. The brand was Doctor's Best, the brand seems pretty reputable, and I was also happy with my order. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to order it again. It might be a little bit pricier, but I have also personally tended to distrust products that were too cheap.

Here's a link to the Amazon website: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctors-Best-Stablilized-BioEnhanced-Vegetarian/dp/B0095D2ROU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=doctor's+best+r-ala&qid=1623334629&sr=8-1

Keeping my fingers crossed that you find a good product that you'll feel comfortable with.

Reactions: ickihun

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal,

At the beginning of my diabetic journey, I once ordered R-ALA. The brand was Doctor's Best, the brand seems pretty reputable, and I was also happy with my order. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to order it again. It might be a little bit pricier, but I have also personally tended to distrust products that were too cheap.

Here's a link to the Amazon website: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctors-Best-Stablilized-BioEnhanced-Vegetarian/dp/B0095D2ROU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=doctor's+best+r-ala&qid=1623334629&sr=8-1

Keeping my fingers crossed that you find a good product that you'll feel comfortable with.

Thanks Ziggy. Hope you’re keeping well.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think there have been quite a few threads on the topic recommending a book called the Antioxidant Miracle so perhaps you'll find some recommendations there . Did an NHS person recommend this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking R-ALA tablets since about 2014 for mild neuropathy in my feet caused by chemotherapy. It works for me and no ill effects whatsoever. I was recommended Swansons but last summer there was a problem importing it. (long story) It is not made in the UK. I had plenty of tablets, and am only just about finishing my last bottle. I have a new bottle to start - Vitality Express, Not the cheapest but it arrived well within time. Obviously not tried it yet. https://www.vitaminexpress.org/uk/bioactive-r-lipoic-acid-capsules

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks all. In the end I’ve gone for these (at a lower price than suggested on the website - came to £31 including shipping): https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-7363...l-r-lipoic-acid-300-mg-60-vegetarian-capsules
How are you fairing @Goonergal? I've just logged on to forum and saw your thread.
I'm off R-ala whilst having surgeries. I know one man who came unstuck on them whilst having meds and surgical procedures on them so I don't take them 3mths either side of an operation just for my own guidelines and not any research seen.
As a result I'm on more pregablin but definitely need less on R-ala. In Germany diabetics are given R-ala as standard care but the NHS don't. I understand for financial reasons. Myself I'd stick by that NHS standard until more research is done around surgical procedures AND frequent use of R-ala.
Stick to the R-ala as that is the productive form. S-ala or non split ALA isn't as useful. The S form is absolutely wasteful as it's absorbed by water and passed out ineffectively.
I know the R form ones are more expensive but because of the splitting costs. They are worth that little extra because of the quality and the correct form for us.
You will find the benefit quite quickly too. :) :) :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you fairing @Goonergal? I've just logged on to forum and saw your thread.

Hi

Thanks. Only just started it - took a while to arrive, so difficult to tell at the moment. It was quite hard to find a decent brand - the others linked above also contain Biotin and I’m already taking B-50 so didn’t want to add more of that.