HBa1c Question

Yaz12342

Hi
Im a bit confused with my hba1c result, I am currently on Metformin, gliclazide, ozempic injection once a week and a few months ago was started on insulin as well as my blood sugars were permanently high in the upper 20s to maxing out the meter (over 32.2 +) I have had the insulin increased every few days and am currently on 30 units a day which has helped to bring my sugars down which now range anywhere between 7 - 15 throughout the day, however when I had my last hba1c back in the beginning of march it was at 80mmol (big improvement from before) but my latest ones done the other day has come back as 92mmol, surely this should have gone down and not up with the sugar levels becoming more controlled, so bit confused about that, anyone have any ideas as to why maybe?
Thanks

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget that yourHba1c is a 3 month "average" so it depends on when the insulin was started. it could also mean that you're getting spikes you don't know about. Abbotts were doing free trials of the libre if you've got a smartphone with NFC capability it might be worth having a look if it's still availible

Reactions: jjraak

Yaz12342

Don't forget that yourHba1c is a 3 month "average" so it depends on when the insulin was started. it could also mean that you're getting spikes you don't know about. Abbotts were doing free trials of the libre if you've got a smartphone with NFC capability it might be worth having a look if it's still availible

Hiya
Ive been on insulin for about 3 1/2 months now, started off at 12 units and upped to 30 units a day currently over the course of those months.

pinkjude

My HBA1c was 84 in March which I was told means I was averaging around 12/13 on my daily tests. I wasnt testing then. Now I am averaging 7's. Does anyone know what that might equate to on an HBa1c. Nurse wants me retested end of this month. She wanted me to try Metformin but I said I wanted to try diet and exercise. I have lost 1 stone 3 1bs so far. I too would expect a lower HBA1c. As others have said we may get spikes overnight and of course there is the dawn phenonomen

Reactions: jjraak

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HBA1c was 84 in March which I was told means I was averaging around 12/13 on my daily tests. I wasnt testing then. Now I am averaging 7's. Does anyone know what that might equate to on an HBa1c. Nurse wants me retested end of this month. She wanted me to try Metformin but I said I wanted to try diet and exercise. I have lost 1 stone 3 1bs so far. I too would expect a lower HBA1c. As others have said we may get spikes overnight and of course there is the dawn phenonomen

It’d roughly equate to 42, but unless you're using a CGM, it’s unlikely you have a true average from testing. This calculator might help you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

However, I would expect a lower HbA1c with that sort of change.

Reactions: oldgreymare

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Yaz12342

Welcome to the forum.

It is disappointing to have an increase when you are not expecting one. I'm sorry.

That said it is right that testing won't necessarily show you all your peaks and the HbA1c is a 3 month average. So hopefully the next one will show a decrease.

What type of diabetes have you been diagnosed with? Type 1 or type 2? I thought that as you have been prescribed metformin it would be type 2 but don't want to make any assumptions.

If you are a type 2 it may be that with some very very very gradual changes to your diet you may be able to slowly reduce your levels. That will very much depend on what type of diabetes you have and your current diet. Let us have a bit more information to see if we can suggest anything. Without more information we really can't suggest any changes.

Reactions: jjraak and EllieM