which hot drinks?

dusky

Type 2 diabetes. Controlled by metformin, diet. I've lost half a stone since New Year's Eve. I love my hot drinks, but don't know what I can have now.
Can I have ome suggestions please?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi dusky ,
Well done on the losing half a stone since new years eve...
I enjoy my hot winter weather warming hot drinks too !
Try the weight watchers hot chocolate , the horlicks extra lite , [I use flora proactive milk in mine!]
Also a nice lemon [use loads of freshly sliced n deseeded lemon ] n nip of honey in hot water is nice , helps with any sore throats, tickly coughs etc
The options sachets range of flavoured chocolate drinks is okay if not indulged too often or frequently.
Hope this helps?
Anna.x :D

dusky

Thanks Anna. I saw the Weightwatchers hot chocolate in the £1 shop. Grandson has the Cadburys hot chocolate at night.
Is tea OK?
I home educate my grandson [12] and so have to get up very early in the morning to get work ready for him. I have a mug of tea with sweetex and semi-skimmed milk. Is that OK?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi dusky, Yep thats fine, keep on enjoying your brews [tea's]
Also hunt down the other options and choices you like too!
Will give you variety ?
Anna.x :D

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dusky,

I think most tea, including herbal types, have about half a gram of carb in them, obviously once you add milk it's a bit more. I use alpro unsweetened soya milk in mine, it tastes a bit different but I like it more than milk now. Cadbury's do a hot chocolate powder 'Highlights', I think it's only 4.6g of carbs per serving, and tastes lovely made with soya milk. Decaff cappaccino's made with soya milk and a couple of sweetex is my fave at the moment, depends on if you're a soya milk fan or not though :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Green tea is delicious and extremely healthy too :)

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to mention that caffiene can affect some people's bg, so you might be best switching to decaff if you find this a problem :)

Grazer

Apparently, although caffeine can raise BG, green tea can LOWER it, despite the fact it still has a caffeine content. Saw a good medical study on this, but can't remember where it was!

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
That's quite interesting, I might have to give green tea a go and see if it affects my bg, need a bit of an umph to get me going in the morning at the moment :)

Grazer

Sirzy said:
That's quite interesting, I might have to give green tea a go and see if it affects my bg, need a bit of an umph to get me going in the morning at the moment :)
If it doesn't help, it won't do any harm!

Christinelh

Dislikes
Housework Swearing Poor manners soaps on tv
I bought some green tea recently do you add milk to it will try it to see if it helps

triksit

Hi there, something to get you going in the morning is fresh ginger (grated) in hot water with a slice of lemon or lemon peel (squeezed). If you really need to sweeten it a tiny dribble of honey is usually enough but you need to cool it a bit or you ruin the honey.
It's actually easier than it sounds. Either keep lumps of peeled fresh ginger in the freezer and fine grate into cup and pour on boiling water or fine grate in bulk and put in a large plastic bag, squeeze out the air and close at the top of the bag then press flat and freeze. This way it is easy to break off pieces according to taste. I like mine quite strong.
The ginger and lemon tea bags just don't do it for me!
After a week you'll wonder what you ever did without it. :D
PS: I lost 45 kg over a year and used this as my main hot drink