Type 2 Strange Sugar Levels - I am confused

pankajkr333

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I am Type-2 diabetes for the last couple of years. For the last month, I am trying to control it and get off meds seriously. My last HBA1C test result was 7.2, which is 55 in mmol/mol (IFCC).

Currently, I am noticing that my morning fasting sugar level is around 120 but after breakfast, it remains around the same levels, and in the evening around 7PM it drops to 90-99 levels. I usually do lunch around 1-2PM, so does it sound fine? I am confused why morning levels are mostly the higher side?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Higher blood sugars in the morning are not uncommon.
This is due to our livers helpfully, dumping glucose into our bodies to give us the necessary energy to rise.
This is not a diabetes thing - it happens to most people. Those with a healthy pancreas will release insulin and not notice a rise. Alas when your pancreas is broken, this doesn't happen so you may see a rise.

If you want to know more, Google "Dawn Phenomenon". It is a very common topic on this forum.

pankajkr333

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the response. Do you think I am thinking too much about it? I am not able to convince myself that my diet and walking is helping me out when I see morning sugar levels being high. Should I focus more on HBA1C values rather than doing these daily tests?

On a side note, do you see any benefits of taking supplements along with our diet such as Omega-3, Multivitamins, etc. so that our body gets all the nutrients they need?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the response. Do you think I am thinking too much about it? I am not able to convince myself that my diet and walking is helping me out when I see morning sugar levels being high. Should I focus more on HBA1C values rather than doing these daily tests?

On a side note, do you see any benefits of taking supplements along with our diet such as Omega-3, Multivitamins, etc. so that our body gets all the nutrients they need?
Don't overthink things. The morning reading takes ages to change and then mine sort of bumped down a bit every so often. It's very quick to go back up if I have a bad night's sleep. If your before and after meal checks are OK then treat the morning reading as a "for information". That's your system doing it, not you taking in extra glucose. The A1c is what matters overall, as an average of the previous three months. The fingerprick tests are just a way of monitoring what's happening right now and the effect that various foods, and/or being ill, taking exercise, or the weather is currently having on you.

I take a lot of Vit D each day and other vits/supplements as needed - eg went through a low potassium phase. Might try upping magnesium this winter to see if there's any impact on anything.