Which type am I?

MightylittleD

I was diagnosed Nov 2009 with type 2. The tablets I was on Metformin but they created too much acid in my blood. So I was on novomix 30 twice a day.

I keep getting Hypo's or nearly getting them so I have now changed to 4 injections a day. I have not yet started on these yet as I am awaiting the prescription and info on using the new meds.

But am I type one or two ??

Angeleyes

What makes you think you might be type1? You were diagnosed as a T2 and are now a T2 on Insulin, loads of them about. If you are getting frequent hypo's then your medication and/or diet may need adjusting.

If you want a definitive re-diagnosis you would have to have tests done to determine a result one way or the other. Nobody here is an expert and couldn't possibly tell from just a few lines in an internet post.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It would be interesting to know how old you were at diagnosis and whether you were around normal weight. People with Type 1 or one of the variants are sometimes mis-diagnosed as Type 2 but there are tests such as c-peptide that can help check this. Did you go straight from Metformin onto insulin? That's not very common for Type 2s unless they have had the DB for a long time without knowing. There are other tablets that might be prescribed before going onto insulin unless your BS was very high; see my long list! More information is needed but as Angeleyes has said we are not experts and more information would be needed such as what your Hba1C was when your GP moved you onto insulin. Some GPs are keen to start insulin early and some like mine treat it as a last resort. If you get frequent hypos that's a hint that you might need to discuss reducing your meds with your GP or adjusting your carb intake accordingly? BTW I've never heard of Metformin causing 'too much acid in the blood'?

bystander

Daibell said:
BTW I've never heard of Metformin causing 'too much acid in the blood'?

This may be what the OP is talking about.

Metformin can cause a rare but serious condition called lactic acidosis, which is an excess of lactic acid in the blood. It is more likely to occur in people with decreased kidney function. Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, particularly on an empty stomach or if you have liver problems, can also increase the risk of lactic acidosis. Your doctor will monitor you for this side effect, but symptoms that might indicate its development include rapid and/or deep breathing and non-specific symptoms such as feeling weak, sick or generally unwell, vomiting, abdominal pain, or unusual muscle pains or discomfort. You should stop taking this medicine and consult your doctor if you experience any of these.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/medicines/glucophage.html