Nutrition and supplements

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Googled to find out the food sources of zinc, and it seemed to me that given I'm not eating oysters daily (or indeed at all) it might be a good idea to supplement. I read that our supply of zinc needs to be renewed every day, so we can't even binge eat it to stock up for a while. My current solution is zinc + magnesium supplements, but I'm not particularly happy with that.
Oysters are the best source but red meat and poultry are also good sources and you are more likely to eat them regularly, unless you are vegetarian of course.
This is a good guide....
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-Consumer/

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
If you are vegetarian and vegan especially I don't think it is possible to live healthily without supplements unless you are very careful.
@NicoleC1971 could you please explain why you think vegetarians would need supplements in order to live healthily?

Lisa69free

The lowest carb chocolate I have been able to find is Montezuma Absolute Black 100%, available with orange / peppermint oil (my favourites) and other flavours. Only 8gc per 100g, which puts it level with almonds! It is horribly expensive, but is often offered at a discount on Amazon or elsewhere. I used to be addicted to Hotel Chocolat 100% drops, but they disappeared during the pandemic and now I prefer Montezuma, which are also lower carb.

https://welleasy.co.uk/products/mon...b0LU7yg3UOesXU_mOSZ22FjNYnp4pCjxoCXmQQAvD_BwE ooh

Reactions: Speedbird

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you are vegetarian and vegan especially I don't think it is possible to live healthily without supplements unless you are very careful.
@NicoleC1971 could you please explain why you think vegetarians would need supplements in order to live healthily?
If I may interject without B12 supplements a vegetable only diet would not contain anything more than trace amounts of B12 without B12 the immune system would become impaired just one effect of B12 deficiency..

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
If I may interject without B12 supplements a vegetable only diet would not contain anything more than trace amounts of B12 without B12 the immune system would become impaired just one effect of B12 deficiency..
However, vegetarians who eat a wide variety of foods including either/or eggs, dairy products etc should not necessarily need any form of supplementation at all. Unless a deficiency has been clearly identified most supplementation is a waste of money and resources.
I fully appreciate that those on a strict vegan diet may need to supplement with B12 as may those who find that Metformin reduces their B12 levels. The attached link may be of interest.https://www.theguardian.com/.../vitamin-supplements-waste-…

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had zinc, magnesium, iron tests + the usual full blood count etc, recently and half expected my zinc or magnesium levels could be low, but all were within normal range, so was pleasantly surprised.. Eat a range of foods including meat and veg and fruit, and the only supplements I take are vitamin D3 with added calcium as vitamin d levels kept going low.