Carnt understand

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was having a wierd day yesterday so I ate my meal as normal my levels were 8mmol and gave insulin dose as I would normally give but some reason I didn't hit my target of 8mmol. when insulin finished doing the job I landed and stayed at 11.4mmols after. I wasn't stressed or anything. Do you experience this kind of problem where regularess giving right insulin and eating same meal l. It felt as thow the insulin didn't want to work fully as it would. I wasn't stressed or anything. does anyone else find they experience this for no reason?.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was having a wierd day yesterday so I ate my meal as normal my levels were 8mmol and gave insulin dose as I would normally give but some reason I didn't hit my target of 8mmol. when insulin finished doing the job I landed and stayed at 11.4mmols after. I wasn't stressed or anything. Do you experience this kind of problem where regularess giving right insulin and eating same meal l. It felt as thow the insulin didn't want to work fully as it would. I wasn't stressed or anything. does anyone else find they experience this for no reason?.

Yes it happens, your not alone, what did you eat ?

If it's a pattern then it's worth doing some basal testing, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions after one day.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add to what Juicyj’s said, whilst it’s good to consider lots of variables in your Diabetes Management it’s almost impossible to consider them all. So blips like this can just happen sometimes. Like Juicyj says, it’s important to establish if it’s a pattern. If it’s not, then it’s not worth much concern.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it happens, your not alone, what did you eat ?

If it's a pattern then it's worth doing some basal testing, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions after one day.
Hey I had some waffles 2x and burger. My diabetes is somewhat wierd and still needs proper investigation because some of the things don't make sense. It was in 2002 my levels where extremely high and I was diagnosed and put onto insulin than later I was moved to mdi there I noticed that somthing wasn't right I don't know why but my body doesn't need basal insulin as a normal type 1 would which doesn't make sense but I need to take novorapid for my meals still. Another thing is i have discovered there is something wrong with my digestive system where carbs like sugar or example I drink a can of coke it won't raise my levels my body is really wierd still fighting my docs to investigate all these wierd problems because I know these problems are not under the diabetes complications area so and also even after researching I haven't heard any other type 1 have this problem. Lol

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I had some waffles 2x and burger. My diabetes is somewhat wierd and still needs proper investigation because some of the things don't make sense. It was in 2002 my levels where extremely high and I was diagnosed and put onto insulin than later I was moved to mdi there I noticed that somthing wasn't right I don't know why but my body doesn't need basal insulin as a normal type 1 would which doesn't make sense but I need to take novorapid for my meals still. Another thing is i have discovered there is something wrong with my digestive system where carbs like sugar or example I drink a can of coke it won't raise my levels my body is really wierd still fighting my docs to investigate all these wierd problems because I know these problems are not under the diabetes complications area so and also even after researching I haven't heard any other type 1 have this problem. Lol
What you've described is so unusual it almost makes it impossible for anyone on this forum to help you as it would be so out of anyone's experience of the condition. You'd be best served contacting your Doctor, in all honesty.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @static192 There are so many things that can affect both the action of insulin and the action of glucose that unless you can report regular patterns then it may well be one of the these factors could be affecting you, it's not necessarily stress, there's many more factors that affect these actions.

What helps your doctor is if you can provide a diary of your activities, so reporting time insulin is taken, units taken, any exercise, food eaten and what type of food, so high carb/high fat etc, this is necessary to help form a picture and to also see where patterns are occurring.

I have days when I can defy odds and not spike with a high carb meal, but due to stress, hormones, heat, exercise etc etc my insulin will respond differently, it can make me think I am odd or something isn't right but unless it happens a number of times then I simply write it off. I have incidents where hypo treatments haven't touched the mark and have had to repeat treatment a number of times before levels picked up, sometimes it's been down to eating fat before glucose so the action has been delayed or that I had too much insulin on board and needed more glucose to soak it up.

We can feel unusual and hyper sensitive to our we respond to insulin and glucose, it's good to be aware, but as I said keep a diary to record this as it will help your team to understand the full picture.