Returning to the office after 18 months working from home

Sharon13632

I have just been notified (10/9) that I must return to my office on 1st October after working successfully from home for the past 18 months. I tried to raise my concerns regarding this to my manager and line manager and it fell on deaf ears and was told to put it in writing however that only gives me 2 weeks to write it, send it and hopefully be reviewed before 1st October. I feel this sudden request has put a huge strain on my mental health and obviously concerned about my overall health in returning to a busy office that no longer follows covid recommendations like social distancing etc. Since being at home I have not been ill with any common ailments like colds, upset stomachs etc unlike before when colds and viruses frequently spread around the office causing me to have to take time off work to recover. I also contacted my HR who said to speak to my line manager so no help there either.

I wondered if anyone else has had to deal with this situation and if so any recommendations on what I can say to my employer that might be heard.

Donaldfr

Hi

In our office they allowed phased back to work rota considering the mental health issues. Trust me its a lot busy outside now and getting busier everyday on roads and buses etc. We started with two days a week gradually increasing to 5 but our office had called everyone back in as soon as government ended WFH.
I guess we all need to get out at some point.

PS: i never worked from home except when i had covid myself which was end of march last year so very early.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been notified (10/9) that I must return to my office on 1st October after working successfully from home for the past 18 months. I tried to raise my concerns regarding this to my manager and line manager and it fell on deaf ears and was told to put it in writing however that only gives me 2 weeks to write it, send it and hopefully be reviewed before 1st October. I feel this sudden request has put a huge strain on my mental health and obviously concerned about my overall health in returning to a busy office that no longer follows covid recommendations like social distancing etc. Since being at home I have not been ill with any common ailments like colds, upset stomachs etc unlike before when colds and viruses frequently spread around the office causing me to have to take time off work to recover. I also contacted my HR who said to speak to my line manager so no help there either.

I wondered if anyone else has had to deal with this situation and if so any recommendations on what I can say to my employer that might be heard.

Hi Sharon, I was going to ask what type you were but it hardly matters really. We are all slowly being recalled to work and personally I don't think we can expect to work from home forever. If your concerns are strictly about social distancing (or lack thereof) in the workplace I don't think you are going to get too far. If you are actually suffering mental anguish then I'd suggest seeing a GP who can at least sign you off work if they think going back is detrimental to you. Maybe you could ask for an HR meeting and for your personal health plan to be updated (if you are type 1 at least then they can't refuse that). If you can't get any meeting done before the return date then I suppose you could take sick leave if your GP is willing to write you off, but it sounds to me like it's the thought of going back after so long that is concerning you. There must be a lot of people feeling the same and I'll be honest, I do not think they are going to turn around and say 'stay working from home then'. x

Sharon13632

I am type 1 insulin 4 times a day. Yes think I am resigned to returning but upset that I am not being listened to when our CEO has been sending out numerous emails regarding mental health and has only given 2 weeks notice. I love my job so don't really want to be signed off sick. :(

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 insulin 4 times a day. Yes think I am resigned to returning but upset that I am not being listened to when our CEO has been sending out numerous emails regarding mental health and has only given 2 weeks notice. I love my job so don't really want to be signed off sick. :(

Hi Sharon, well you are obviously covered by the Disability Act and after 18 months off I would ask for an HR/Line Manager meeting to discuss 'reasonable adjustments'. They may not get it done in time or they may try and fob you off but make sure your request is recorded and explain that you require an 'updated' personal risk assessment under the Disability Act especially after the last 18 months of 'Covid' stress pertinent to your type 1 and that you would like it to be done before you go back into the office so you can satsify yourself that the office is Covid secure etc. I am presuming here you have one already on record? Once these things are discussed and written down on an official record, they will be hard pushed to ignore it. You don't have to be bolshy or anything as you love your job etc, so be calm and polite...and insistent. They really can't say no! At least that way your concerns will be heard (whether they like it or not) and HR will have to assess you and make any reasonable adjustments or officially explain why they haven't or may not believe they should, all depends on what you're asking I guess.. Of course that won't mean they'll say continue from home but it may make you feel more secure in the workplace with specific concerns of yours addressed in some manner. x