struggling

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugars have been between 10-15 all day everyday. Go to bed at night and it can be anywhere between 10-15mmols. Blood sugars drop after 2am and by 4am it's 2-3mmols.

Having long hypos until I wake up. Resulting me feeling rubbish all day. Don't know where I am going wrong. I worked out my basal insulin a few months ago and had the best blood sugars for a while, now things are worse than they have ever been. I take 10 units of lantus at 10am and 6 units at 10 pm. 1unit novarapid = 15 grams carbs.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
How long is it since you were diagnosed @kvetiny? I only ask because insulin needs can, I’m told, vary quite a lot in the earlier days. (I was diagnosed a long time ago and my own early experience wasn’t the norm).
Your best recourse is to contact your DSN, doctor or consultant and ask for a review. It sounds as though you now need a different insulin to carb ratio, and a variation in the lantus split, but none of us on here can tell you what to do.
I personally also find that the weather and exercise levels have an effect on insulin needs.
A health professional should be able to help.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply. Had diabetes for 10 years now. Have found I need less lantus and more novarapid. Will speak to the team end of this month.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks for your reply. Had diabetes for 10 years now. Have found I need less lantus and more novarapid. Will speak to the team end of this month.
You should phone the hospital today and not wait until the end of the month to sort out your insulin dosage issues. Hypos are dangerous. I never have fixed dosages and change mine daily based on what I'm doing and what my numbers look like.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be worth checking your basal rate again, as it sounds like it may have changed. It's always a good place to start when numbers aren't where you want them to be. If you're basal rates wrong, then you end up trying to correct with bolus doses all the time. If your basal rate is right, then check your insulin to carb ratio is correct, many people have different insulin to carb ratio's at different times of the day.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to do some basal testing but my blood sugars are too unstable atm. Spoken to my diabetes team today. The nurse told me to reduce my lantus at night so I can reduce the chance of my blood sugars plummeting at 3am every morning. I've already tried doing that. Guess I will wait to speak to the consultant end of the month to change insulin. Lantus and novarapid insulins just seem to be rubbish.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I had similar problems when I was using Lanctus as a Basel I got switched to Levimir due to “ Lanctus unpredictability “ according to my consultant , much better now

Reactions: kvetiny and EllieM

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus used to send me low overnight and I constantly had aches and pains. Switched to Tresiba and it holds me steady and that nasty aching from head to toe sensation went within 3 days

I'd ask to change from Lantus and see if it helps