Starting Metformin tomorrow!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I don't know much about the workings of metformin but do you have to eat in order to take it, and will it not do its overall job if you don't eat and thus miss a dose?, (I think that makes sense). I just cannot see how it's productive being forced to eat something you don't want which probably raises your glucose levels, just in order to take a medication that is there to help keep those very same levels from rising!
The reason it says take with food on labels that were on the boxex of metformin I had prescribed was to help avoid stomach problems, the scours mainly.

Pretty much like other tables out in the wild, you get, take before meals, with meals, after meals etc.

if you don't eat and thus miss a dose?,
As for not eating and missing a dose take the metformin next time you eat solves that problem.

I just cannot see how it's productive being forced to eat something you don't want which probably raises your glucose levels, just in order to take a medication that is there to help keep those very same levels from rising
You're not being forced to do anything, as I said before take it the next time you eat.