Discovered via freestyle

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a free trial of Freestyle as I wanted to see if I could figure out what was happening with my bg overnight. Instead I discovered something weird abt my daytime bg - it rises like hell even when I eat no carb meals. This morning is a grt example. More than 12 hrs since I last ate I had boiled eggs, coffee and full cream. 13.5 an hour later. I wonder what the process is?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your bg before you ate and 2 hours later?

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a free trial of Freestyle as I wanted to see if I could figure out what was happening with my bg overnight. Instead I discovered something weird abt my daytime bg - it rises like hell even when I eat no carb meals. This morning is a grt example. More than 12 hrs since I last ate I had boiled eggs, coffee and full cream. 13.5 an hour later. I wonder what the process is?
Did you check it against a glucose meter? I’ve just taken one out as measuring 3-4 points higher than glucose meter, they are more accurate for some people than others

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning is a grt example. More than 12 hrs since I last ate I had boiled eggs, coffee and full cream. 13.5 an hour later. I wonder what the process is?
Many of us rise after waking up because the liver dumps glucose in the bloodstream to help get you going for the day. Foot on the floor effect.
So it might not have much to do with your breakfast.

Reactions: johnme

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long after you put it on did you activate it?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you read the many threads about the limitations of the Libre such as inaccurate for the first 24 to 48 hours after inserting if you activate it immediately and that it is most accurate between 4 and 7 mol/l?

There is a science behind understanding CGMS which few people seem to be taught so assume it is the same as finger pricking.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you check it against a glucose meter? I’ve just taken one out as measuring 3-4 points higher than glucose meter, they are more accurate for some people than others
Thanks Debbie. I checked at the beginning and it was a perfect match. Can’t keep checking or there would be no point in wearing it! But I will bear your point in mind. I suppose the absolute numbers are less important to me than the pattern at the moment, so I should probably relax.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you read the many threads about the limitations of the Libre such as inaccurate for the first 24 to 48 hours after inserting if you activate it immediately and that it is most accurate between 4 and 7 mol/l?

There is a science behind understanding CGMS which few people seem to be taught so assume it is the same as finger pricking.

If I get to between 4 and 7 mmol i don’t think I’ll be checking at all. After 3 weeks of v strict keto I only ever get down to 7. But Ive lost just under 6 kilo. Thanks for note - I’ll remember it

Lakeslover

One thing is that libre is less accurate when it is high (for me if over around 0) or low (under 4). So it’s possible that reading could have been lower than recorded.

yes, the pattern is what is important at first.

Reactions: johnme

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us rise after waking up because the liver dumps glucose in the bloodstream to help get you going for the day. Foot on the floor effect.
So it might not have much to do with your breakfast.
Makes sense - thanks

Reactions: Antje77

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been using a freestyle for 10 days. It was a free sample and has been such a success I’ve bought another. Though at nearly £50 a go I don’t see this as long term behaviour. I have learned that the ebbs and flows ofmy blood glucose follow a clear pattern and that the pattern is usually quite distinct from mealtimes etc. I'm following a keto diet, which may explain this. I discovered a small glass of milk can spike my bg like hell and the time between the ingestion and the spike is very short. No more milk in tea. Luckily I get on fine with a slice of lemon. I got stuck during the week somewhere that I could only buy a sandwich, so that was my supper one night. It wrecked my bg for about 12 hrs and led to spikes all the next day. We all knew that but to watch it recorded is quite something. Apart from that according to the freestyle the keto diet is performing as expected - as I enter the 5th week the blood glucose becomes more and more consistent and is on a steady downward path.

Last edited: