In hospital. Blood sugar 18

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have severe Ulcerative Colitis. Ended up in hospital on the steroid injections, three times a day..
Have requested to see diabetic nurse. My normal medication is 4x 500 mg Metformin, also managed by diet
Usual morning readings will be 5.9/6.2.
Can my body withstand these high numbers for a few more days?
Anyone been in this position, food in hospital is mainly carb loaded.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is different, but once out of hospital, away from fight-or-flight stress and able to control my own diet, my sugars dropped dramatically, so there is every chance yours will too.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have severe Ulcerative Colitis. Ended up in hospital on the steroid injections, three times a day..
Have requested to see diabetic nurse. My normal medication is 4x 500 mg Metformin, also managed by diet
Usual morning readings will be 5.9/6.2.
Can my body withstand these high numbers for a few more days?
Anyone been in this position, food in hospital is mainly carb loaded.
YES in short. You are in hospital and being given steroids not to mention physiologically stressed by the experience (hospital, pain, lack of good sleep, boredom?)
I hope you feel better and get out soon but in the meantime if you can get someone to bring you in decent rations not involving bread, cereal, rice, pasta this would help your blood sugars come down.
Other blood sugar lowering drugs are unlikely to make a huge difference and insulin won't help in the long term and could even make inflammation worse.
I hope you get to discuss this with the team but I'd go for food changes first!

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.. have begged room in the fridge and am having supplies of cooked meat and cheeses being delivered. Hopefully I will be home soon.
Thank you for your advice.

Reactions: TriciaWs

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Recently I was in a similar position in hospital on steroids with a Covid complication.

You can look forward to getting out and having your sugars return to normal (so the large numbers were on the steroids)

Screenshot_20211128-124811_Gallery.jpg

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.. have begged room in the fridge and am having supplies of cooked meat and cheeses being delivered. Hopefully I will be home soon.
Thank you for your advice.
I hope you are starting to feel better. Once you are home, you can get back into control of your intake. I have just got out of hospital after a car crash on Friday and my BG has gone haywire (16 - 20!). I am putting this down to shock, adrenaline, dehydration, diet upheaval being in hospital (orange juice and sandwiches!), lack of sleep and opiate pain relief. Tomorrow is a new day and I will be back on low carb and water.