from diabetes daily

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wish people would stop with these doom and gloom articles.
Lifespan estimations are based on historic data. The latest study quoted in the article is 2015. Six years ago, CGMs were rare in the Uk whereas today, more than 20% of people with Type 1 use them. Six years ago, NovoRapid was considered a fast acting insulin; now it is common to refer to it as NovoSluggish.
My point is that treatment for Type 1 diabetes is changing fast. Predictions based on historic data are flawed. If articles like this continue to be published, they should start with information about improved treatment rather than hiding it at the bottom where few people will read it because they are too scared after reading about their significantly reduced lifespan.
Yes, diabetes can cause very nasty complications but we have the tools to reduce the risk.

@Pura Vida forgive me, my comments are not aimed at you. I just wish journalists would realise the harm such articles can cause to someone newly diagnosed who may already be experiencing anxiety.

Reactions: hollyshanks

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Looking at this section alone:
It wasn’t until the late 1980s, with the conclusion of the landmark DCCT trial, that diabetes authorities reached a consensus on recommending the tight glucose control that is now considered standard and necessary treatment.
How would the writer explain the fact that I was advised in 1979 to tighten my blood sugar control, having given me the use of a meter 5cm x 18cm x 12cm approximately? I have also slept through a hypo lasting over 12 hours. I completely agree with @In Response.

Dark Horse

This study was published in 2020 and gives figures for average reduction in life expectancy for both type 1 (8 years) and type 2 (2 years) diabetes. It was based on data from 2015-2017. Interestingly, it links life expectancy to HbA1c when it says, 'Results of the investigators’ analysis also suggested each year with an HbA1c greater than 58 mmol/mol equated to a loss of around 100 life days for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.'
https://www.endocrinologynetwork.com/view/average-life-years-lost-from-type-1-type-2-diabetes