HbA1c result

Lakeslover

I found this forum in March last year after searching for people using the freestyle libre. My HbA1c at that time was 71 and the doctor gave me three months to improve it or go onto Ozempic.

I self funded the libre, read all the advice I could on here, went low carb. Not always easy, and I’m not perfect. I would say I get it right about 70% of the time.

I’ve just got my latest result back and it has reduced to 44! The doctor told me that was low, she was worried about hypos, and talked about reducing my medication to increase the HbA1c. I convinced her that I was managing the risk by using the libre, managing my diet, and adjusting my medication as necessary so she has left the prescription the same. Having said that I have actually reduced my Metformin myself because I’m fed up with the side effects.

anyway I just wanted to say to anyone setting out on this journey that if I can do it 10 years after diagnosis then so can you! You don’t have to be perfect, just as good as you can, if you have an occasional slip just get straight back to it again.

my target eventually is to get below 40…….but I’m over the moon at 44 anyway.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful, congratulations!
I’ve just got my latest result back and it has reduced to 44! The doctor told me that was low, she was worried about hypos, and talked about reducing my medication to increase the HbA1c.
What medication are you on?

Lakeslover

Wonderful, congratulations!

What medication are you on?
Metformin, Glicazide and sitagliptin. I already adjust the gliclazode dose based on my pre meal blood sugar and planned meal. I did tell the GP that and she said it was fine as I obviously know what I’m doing. Metformin was 2000mg in split doses, but I’m reducing to 1000mg

Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin, Glicazide and sitagliptin. I already adjust the gliclazode dose based on my pre meal blood sugar and planned meal. I did tell the GP that and she said it was fine as I obviously know what I’m doing. Metformin was 2000mg in split doses, but I’m reducing to 1000mg
In that case, yes, good thing the GP double checked on hypos, but even better she accepted your numbers after doing so!
I used to get very nervous for my appointments because of my healthy hba1c (on insulin) but thankfully my endo is with me based on my explanations, sounds like your GP is the same. :)

Lakeslover

In that case, yes, good thing the GP double checked on hypos, but even better she accepted your numbers after doing so!
I used to get very nervous for my appointments because of my healthy hba1c (on insulin) but thankfully my endo is with me based on my explanations, sounds like your GP is the same. :)
I think she was a bit surprised, but happier when she knew I was using the libre to keep a check.

Reactions: jjraak

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On LibreView you can share the readings with them ... that way they can see for themselves how you are doing :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think she was a bit surprised, but happier when she knew I was using the libre to keep a check.
She took the time assessing your personal situation, which is wonderful!
On LibreView you can share the readings with them ... that way they can see for themselves how you are doing :)
I'm one of those unlucky ones whose Libres always read lower than blood, so very happy I'm not obliged to share...
My endo thankfully accepts the calibrated readings from DiaBox, which I simply show her when I see her.
But I guess I'm derailing this very happy thread on @Lakeslover 's wonderful results!

Lakeslover

She took the time assessing your personal situation, which is wonderful!

I'm one of those unlucky ones whose Libres always read lower than blood, so very happy I'm not obliged to share...
My endo thankfully accepts the calibrated readings from DiaBox, which I simply show her when I see her.
But I guess I'm derailing this very happy thread on @Lakeslover 's wonderful results!
Not derailing as far as I’m concerned.

my libre reads low too so I wouldn’t be keen to share results from there. I can’t use diabox as I use an iPhone, but I do have xdrip calibrated!