"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My pharmacy phoned yesterday so I could pay for my medication over the phone.

After giving her my debit card details I asked her about the OTC anaesthetic cream I came across yesterday called Emla. She said yes they stock it and it's $50.00 for a 30mm tube. OK.

But they also stock a similar cream called Numit which is only $30.00 for the same size tube, so will be using this one before the Blue Care nurse come to do the dressing on my leg.

Numit: https://www.numit.com.au/

Emla: https://www.emla.com.au/

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My pharmacy phoned yesterday so I could pay for my medication over the phone.

After giving her my debit card details I asked her about the OTC anaesthetic cream I came across yesterday called Emla. She said yes they stock it and it's $50.00 for a 30mm tube. OK.

But they also stock a similar cream called Numit which is only $30.00 for the same size tube, so will be using this one before the Blue Care nurse come to do the dressing on my leg.

Numit: https://www.numit.com.au/

Emla: https://www.emla.com.au/
I use Emla before a beauty (!) procedure and find I can use much less than the instructions say, as long as it goes on an hour or more before...just mention it if cost is an issue . Good luck

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Emla before a beauty (!) procedure and find I can use much less than the instructions say, as long as it goes on an hour or more before...just mention it if cost is an issue . Good luck
I will be getting the Numit cream as it is the cheaper of the two.

I will be putting it on after I have my shower in the morning. Then by the time the BC nurse arrives the wound should be comfortably "numb", so they can put a bit more effort in cleaning it before putting new dressings on it.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner has just ripped me a new one for stuff that was missing from our shopping order. I told her I thought she put it away in the fridge. :meh:

Woolies have shortages of a lot of stuff again, we never got shredded cheese, tasty cheddar blocks, a few cleaning products are out as well.

I cranked up our Coles online shopping account that we have not used for a while, managed to get most of the stuff we are missing. Plus we got some imported Danish Blue cheese which I prefer to the King Island stuff.

Had to re-enter our debit card details again as the old number had expired.

Will be delivered tomorrow arvo between 1:00 - 5:00 pm.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My partner has just ripped me a new one for stuff that was missing from our shopping order. I told her I thought she put it away in the fridge. :meh:

Woolies have shortages of a lot of stuff again, we never got shredded cheese, tasty cheddar blocks, a few cleaning products are out as well.

I cranked up our Coles online shopping account that we have not used for a while, managed to get most of the stuff we are missing. Plus we got some imported Danish Blue cheese which I prefer to the King Island stuff.

Had to re-enter our debit card details again as the old number had expired.

Will be delivered tomorrow arvo between 1:00 - 5:00 pm.
I would flit between Coles & Woolies any time we were in Australia. I must admit I preferred Coles probably because it was bigger and had a better selection. We were only about 5 mins from the shopping mall plus there were lots of other attractions! My SILs maintained shares in Miller's Leisurewear rose as soon as I landed.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would flit between Coles & Woolies any time we were in Australia. I must admit I preferred Coles probably because it was bigger and had a better selection.
We have always used Woolies as it was a one stop shop.

We did the lot at that shopping centre, banking, drop scripts of at the pharmacy, shop in Woolies, and a couple of the other small shops there. on the way back to the pharmacy where our scripts would be ready to pick up. Then home.

At the shopping centre Coles were at I never like going there for some reason. There online shopping is woeful compared to Woolies although they do have a few item that Woolies do not stock that we buy.

Our delivery from Coles will be here between 2:00 - 3:00 pm this arvo.

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ported my phone number over to my new mobile telco yesterday, went through in less than 10 minutes. I have never ported a number before as I have always been with Aldi Mobile.

Opening a can a of corned beef the other day, I got the key off the can and promptly dropped it on the floor where it went under the oven. As I am in no fit state to go crawling around on the floor it's staying there.

Digging a pair of long nose pliers out of my tool belt, I used it to open the can, it's a lot easier on the fingers and thumbs. Will be doing this again in future

ugsR3Kl.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ported my phone number over to my new mobile telco yesterday, went through in less than 10 minutes. I have never ported a number before as I have always been with Aldi Mobile.

Opening a can a of corned beef the other day, I got the key off the can and promptly dropped it on the floor where it went under the oven. As I am in no fit state to go crawling around on the floor it's staying there.

Digging a pair of long nose pliers out of my tool belt, I used it to open the can, it's a lot easier on the fingers and thumbs. Will be doing this again in future

ugsR3Kl.jpg

A toolbox is such a useful thing to have in the kitchen. In our house the major tools are kept, neatly stashed away in what we call "the tool shed" - actually a large, 7' x 9' cupboard in Neil's part of the house. He has a very comprehensive range of tools some of which belonged to my father and to my husband's father. But the really useful tools are kept in a small toolbox in the kitchen. For all the tools that can be bought to open screwtop bottles and jars, a pair of plier kind of things (no idea what they are called - not pliers, not pincers, possibly just grips). I had to dig them out to open the bottle of cider vinegar for my piccalilli.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well - as often happens - it's just after 2 am, I've been up for 20 minutes, and my legs are so sore that I can't stay in bed. or even sit in the comfortable armchair. The only temporarily comfortable position is sitting in the office chair at my kitchen desk. I took some Co-codamol just before I went to bed at 11.45 last night but it hasn't really helped at all and I can't take any more until 3.45. Not really feeling sorry for myself - just want to chat. I know - there's nobody reading posts at this unearthly hour so it's not really chatting - just me talking to myself. I might have a go at linking my Libre to the local hospital's computer so they can see my results.

I tried a new food yesterday - the raspberry granola from the Paleo food company. I'd had my fish stew and all was going well but I still felt hungry so I thought "I know, I'll have some granola to try it". Not sure if the problem was the almonds, or one of the other nuts/seeds but it really made my stomach sore. Also felt sick and dreadfully weak with a bad headache. Probably was the almonds, now that I come to think of it. Took a few Rennies but it didn't help and I gave up and went to bed a bit earlier than I normally would. Still feeling rather sick, but the stomach pain has gone away. Thank goodness.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, that didn't work. Trying to follow the instructions to link to the diabetes clinic computer, but what should appear on the screen - doesn't. Have to phone them later. Technology! Huh!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got to see a chiropodist this morning. I have been under the care of our local hospital podiatry department for a few years - they told me it was essential because I am diabetic. They stressed how important that was and it was fine by me. The only problem was, they refused to cut my nails as short as I have always kept them and gradually have changed the shapes of the nails, which I was not too happy with.

However, since covid, that has all changed. My family are now responsible for my footcare since in this time, I have become less and less able to reach, or see clearly, my nails. I tried to get onto the list of a private podiatrist but he had taken on as many ex-hospital patients as he could. Neil tried to help, but he's really over-cautious and it wasn't successful. No 2 son tried to help but left my feet very painful - he was a bit over-enthusiastic.

And then - joy of joys, I discovered that the chiropodist I saw years ago for ingrowing toenails, had not retired completely, as I had thought. He actually only works one day a month - he's even older than me - and I managed to get an appointment for this morning. He doesn't call himself a podiatrist, just an old-fashioned chiropodist, and he cut my nails just as I want them. The modern hospital based podiatrists probably would approve of how he did them, but my feet are now very, very comfortable. First time in about a year and a half.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess this is my Libre telling me it's time to stop reading in bed and crawl under the blankets! :hilarious:
I read with the blankets drawn up to my armpits but with my arms free for my cigarette, my book and a nightcap.

Reading Dutch isn't all that difficult, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get the gist! :D

(And don't believe those readings, Libre is reading lower than blood for me! )

Screenshot_20220126-023108_Chrome.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
DIL went to the mainland yesterday to pick up a car for No 2 son (his old banger failed its MOT and wasn't worth spending money on) and took the chance to take Em with her to buy a whole lot of school clothes that will fit her, for a while. They were due back this evening, but it's got a bit windy and apparently all Calmac ferries are off so they are stuck on the mainland. Here's hoping the ferries are on tomorrow and they'll get back then. Trips to the mainland, or between the Islands, are always a risk at this time of year due to storms but we didn't see this one coming.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They were due back this evening, but it's got a bit windy and apparently all Calmac ferries are off so they are stuck on the mainland. Here's hoping the ferries are on tomorrow and they'll get back then. Trips to the mainland, or between the Islands, are always a risk at this time of year due to storms but we didn't see this one coming.
Let's hope they turn it into a surprise holiday, nothing to do about it otherwise!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but did snap this along the way.

b537b2d4-4c83-4183-bb14-71c6f851acc6-jpeg.53081
@Goonergal , your picture made me think of one of the most famous Dutch children's books, Pluk van de Petteflet!

This is the Heen-en-weerwolf (the back-and-forth wolf, but also weerwolf means wherewolf in Dutch) is a side character in the wonderful book. As you can see, early in the book he's all gloomy and sad, but at the end he's turned all happy and loved! :)

I found out the book has been translated too, it's available as "Tow-Truck Pluck", and in my opinion it's an absolutely must-have for anyone with access to children willing to be read to, but even if you don't, it's a delightful book to read for yourself!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tow-Truck-Pluck-Annie-M-G-Schmidt/dp/178269112X

Dia2.JPG

b1cf9def0391ff7f3eb4809f44f12a08.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bed at 12.30. Up again at 1.30. Couldn't sleep at all with my stomach complaining at its emptiness and my legs burning. Tottering around on legs not keen on doing any work and knees locking.

Took some Co-codamol and decided to put Doublebase onto the eczema on my legs to ease the burning. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had my alarm in my pocket alongside my Libre reader. I didn't realise that the one had pressed against the other (as I leaned forward to put cream on my legs) until Neil came staggering through to find out what had happened. Poor Neil, he needs his sleep and I went and disturbed it. I'll have to be careful about that, but I don't dare leave it behind when I get up in the night - that's the time I am most likely to fall. Need to keep it in a different pocket.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's hope they turn it into a surprise holiday, nothing to do about it otherwise!

Not really a very happy holiday. First thing that went wrong was that eldest grandson phoned a Premier Inn to book a night for them but gave the wrong date and they weren't booked in after all, so DIL had to lose her deposit for the first night and then pay for the 2nd night. Not a good start.

Then she managed to get lost and needed to check the satnav so pulled in at an entrance to try to figure out how to work it. A police car pulled in behind her to tell her she couldn't park in an entrance and she tried to open the window to explain, but she couldn't find the button to open the window, so she opened the door. What she didn't know was that today is the first day of the new Highway Code and it is now illegal to open the door with the arm nearest the door, but to use the one far from the door (it forces the driver to look behind in case someone is coming behind, too close). The police officer then decided to check over the car, fresh out of the showroom, taking about an hour to do it, even though he knew she was trying to make it to a ferry, and he found a fault. The windscreen washer was blocked with dust or something and wasn't working very well. She hadn't tried it because the windscreen was being washed by the rain. She wasn't given an on the spot fine, but she now has some points on her license!

Apart from any other consideration, in the current climate of mistrust of the police, a single male officer shouldn't be approaching a female driver in a lonely spot. Even if that woman is accompanied by a child. She didn't take his name and number, which she should have done to make a complaint. But she was nervous of aggravating him and just accepted what he said.

Strictly, she was in the wrong and ignorance is no excuse under the law but is that overly officious or not?

She should, by now, be in the ferry car park at Uig - has about £5 left in her purse and nothing left in her bank account until pay day - she spent everything on new clothes for Em and the extra night in a hotel. I guess they'll have a packet of biscuits for lunch rather than a ferry meal.

So, not the happiest of holidays.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not really a very happy holiday. First thing that went wrong was that eldest grandson phoned a Premier Inn to book a night for them but gave the wrong date and they weren't booked in after all, so DIL had to lose her deposit for the first night and then pay for the 2nd night. Not a good start.

Then she managed to get lost and needed to check the satnav so pulled in at an entrance to try to figure out how to work it. A police car pulled in behind her to tell her she couldn't park in an entrance and she tried to open the window to explain, but she couldn't find the button to open the window, so she opened the door. What she didn't know was that today is the first day of the new Highway Code and it is now illegal to open the door with the arm nearest the door, but to use the one far from the door (it forces the driver to look behind in case someone is coming behind, too close). The police officer then decided to check over the car, fresh out of the showroom, taking about an hour to do it, even though he knew she was trying to make it to a ferry, and he found a fault. The windscreen washer was blocked with dust or something and wasn't working very well. She hadn't tried it because the windscreen was being washed by the rain. She wasn't given an on the spot fine, but she now has some points on her license!

Apart from any other consideration, in the current climate of mistrust of the police, a single male officer shouldn't be approaching a female driver in a lonely spot. Even if that woman is accompanied by a child. She didn't take his name and number, which she should have done to make a complaint. But she was nervous of aggravating him and just accepted what he said.

Strictly, she was in the wrong and ignorance is no excuse under the law but is that overly officious or not?

She should, by now, be in the ferry car park at Uig - has about £5 left in her purse and nothing left in her bank account until pay day - she spent everything on new clothes for Em and the extra night in a hotel. I guess they'll have a packet of biscuits for lunch rather than a ferry meal.

So, not the happiest of holidays.
Quite frankly, that policeman sounds a real jobsworth. I thought they always travelled in pairs to be honest. Was it a young policeman by any chance?

She could still make a complaint about what happened. There is an online form

https://www.scotland.police.uk/secureforms/police-complaints/

or she can write to them. The points added to her licence should make it easy for them to trace the PC concerned.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/spa-...-complaints-about-the-police-updatedaug18.pdf

Personally, I would complain. She should acknowledge that she should not have stopped but she was lost and worried about making the ferry having already been forced to stay overnight due to the cancellation the day before. Focus on how he made her feel and the belief that his actions (particularly the lengthy checking of the car) was disproportionate in the circumstances.

It shocking and I would go for it. Any normal policeman would have explained the new rule then offered assistance.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite frankly, that policeman sounds a real jobsworth. I thought they always travelled in pairs to be honest. Was it a young policeman by any chance?

She could still make a complaint about what happened. There is an online form

https://www.scotland.police.uk/secureforms/police-complaints/

or she can write to them. The points added to her licence should make it easy for them to trace the PC concerned.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/spa-...-complaints-about-the-police-updatedaug18.pdf

Personally, I would complain. She should acknowledge that she should not have stopped but she was lost and worried about making the ferry having already been forced to stay overnight due to the cancellation the day before. Focus on how he made her feel and the belief that his actions (particularly the lengthy checking of the car) was disproportionate in the circumstances.

It shocking and I would go for it. Any normal policeman would have explained the new rule then offered assistance.

We'll see how she feels about it when she gets home. She's usually quite feisty but she has an awful habit of rubbing people up the wrong way and of making unfortunate jokes so it's possible that it was partly her own fault, now that I come to think of it. Easy to upset some people by being inappropriately jocular.