I feel depressed when low

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 1 and I have had a billion hypos since then. And have gone unconscious due to hypos a few times before. It's only up until a few months ago that I get extremely depressed when my blood sugar is going low. It's never happened before. I do have depression and anxiety but it is definitely getting better. And when I am feeling depressed as ****, sometimes I think it's my depression acting up again but then I start to feel low and then I realise my blood sugar is just low and when I treat it, I'm back to normal. Should I be concerned? I get hypos like 1-3 times a week. As low as 2.
Also I'm not sure why it's happening now. Because my diabetes used to be absolutely terrible back then, hba1c was over 100 but for like a year now, it's been really good.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And when I am feeling depressed as ****, sometimes I think it's my depression acting up again but then I start to feel low and then I realise my blood sugar is just low and when I treat it, I'm back to normal.
Sounds very familiar to me!
While I'm more or less depressed anyway, sometimes more, sometimes less, I've learnt to check my BG whenever I'm doing something and suddenly feel like it's no use, I can't do the thing anyway, useless, worthless and so on.
I don't always succeed in connecting the two, but often I do. It's one of the first hypo symptoms I get.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 1 and I have had a billion hypos since then. And have gone unconscious due to hypos a few times before. It's only up until a year ago that I get extremely depressed when my blood sugar is going low. It's never happened before. I do have depression and anxiety but it is definitely getting better. And when I am feeling depressed as ****, sometimes I think it's my depression acting up again but then I start to feel low and then I realise my blood sugar is just low and when I treat it, I'm back to normal. Should I be concerned? I get hypos like 1-3 times a week. As low as 2.
Sounds very familiar to me!
While I'm more or less depressed anyway, sometimes more, sometimes less, I've learnt to check my BG whenever I'm doing something and suddenly feel like it's no use, I can't do the thing anyway, useless, worthless and so on.
I don't always succeed in connecting the two, but often I do. It's one of the first hypo symptoms I get.
Is this normal??? I'm just confused as to why this is happening to me now after all these years

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this normal??? I'm just confused as to why this is happening to me now after all these years
I have never wondered if it's normal. To me, it's just another hypo symptom, useful as a prompt to check my bg, and just as unpleasant as other hypo symptoms.
To my thinking it does make some sort of sense. After all, with a hypo, our brains don't have enough glucose to function right, so it might do odd things.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have never wondered if it's normal. To me, it's just another hypo symptom, useful as a prompt to check my bg, and just as unpleasant as other hypo symptoms.
To my thinking it does make some sort of sense. After all, with a hypo, our brains don't have enough glucose to function right, so it might do odd things.
I really hope that symptom gets better for you because it is really is an awful thing to experience. I'm sending love your way.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I get hypos like 1-3 times a week. As low as 2.
Also I'm not sure why it's happening now. Because my diabetes used to be absolutely terrible back then, hba1c was over 100 but for like a year now, it's been really good.

Congrats on achieving good diabetic control but I'd be really concerned about going that low on a regular basis, because at that level I can no longer cope with treating hypos (plus it doesn't do any good for my hypo awareness which is slightly flakey at the best of times and gets worse when I have too many severe lows).

In your position, I'd be pushing my team for a cgm with alarms, so that I could raise my bg when it say gets to 4.4, rather than lower. My dexcom is a life saver for me. (And yes after nearly 52 years of T1, I hate and loathe hypos with a passion.)