What happens at a Insulin Pump clinic?

WreckTangle

I’ve just got an appointment to attend an insulin pump clinic over video for a few weeks, this is new to me as I wasn’t even expecting to have one. The doctor bought it up at my last clinic appointment but I wasn’t expecting to be allowed one because my sugars are up and down.
What happens at the first appointment?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have only attended a "Pump Clinic" since I have had a pump.
Basically, my annual review was replaced bye a Pump Clinic.

Your invite may be to something else or it may have been sent in error. If you are interested in a pump, I would see it as an opportunity to ask more - make the most of your time with someone who knows how the application process works in your CCG.

Reactions: WreckTangle

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi WreckTangle

Locally there are various steps you have to go through in the process of going onto a pump. Firstly you attend a pump information session where they went through general information about pumps. They also had reps there to tell us about the three pumps available locally.

Next step was appointments with a psychologist, then one with a dietitian and a member of the pump team. For me they happened be on the same day. I had to complete a food diary demonstrating my ability to carb count prior to this appointment.

I then was told I was approved for a pump. Thereafter there was training sessions on using the pump.

Once I started on the pump there was appointments at one week, one month, three months, six months. Thereafter it is a annual review.

Good luck with your appointment

Reactions: WreckTangle

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As with all the other replies, my pump was allocated on the basis that I could count carbohydrates and that I would benefit from it psychologically e.g. there is some kind of scoring for how you feel about coping with your diabetes. You also need to be demonstrating lack of hypo awareness or having frequent hypos where help is needed to manage them and/or elevated hba1c.
So a pump nurse may be there to discuss the local options if you get approved for one plus a dietician to organise a carb counting course if you haven't done that already.
All of this doesn't mean you have to take one or that you will be offered one but I think its good to consider what it could do for you e.g. automate the background dosing process and give you flexible dosing around illness, hourly changes in your need for insulin or exercise reductions. It is very much not a silver bullet and there are downsides such as mechanical failure and having to be attached to it and having to change your insertion sites and refill your insulin 'tank' etc.
Good luck anyway.