Partially sighed and struggling to inject

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am getting very upset because i am struggling to inject now that my vision is so poor and I don't know what to do. today I spoke to my nurse. I asked her if there were any pens where you just put them on the skin, like a finger pricker really, and say pressed a button and the needle was automatically put in you. She basically said no and said why could I not just basically shove the needle in, bish bash bosh sort of thing. Should I do that or are there pens that people use?

I can see well enough to attach the needle and dial up, it's just inserting the needle. aAm I being a baby about it?

I am not going out for long periods because it would mean doing an injection away from how I have it all set up at home to do them.

Thought about a pump but would that really be any easier if I'm no good with fine detail.

any thoughts would be welcome, I don't know any other visually impaired diabetics.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked her if there were any pens where you just put them on the skin, like a finger pricker really, and say pressed a button and the needle was automatically put in you. She basically said no and said why could I not just basically shove the needle in, bish bash bosh sort of thing. Should I do that or are there pens that people use?
I'm sorry you're struggling with this.
I don't know if this helps, but I regularly inject without looking what I'm doing. When I inject in the back of my arm, my bottom or my sides I don't need to see the needle actually going in. I know where my skin is, so if the pen is firmly planted on my skin the needle must be inside of me.

What is it exactly that you're wanting to see?

I asked her if there were any pens where you just put them on the skin, like a finger pricker really, and say pressed a button and the needle was automatically put in you.
There are the auto shield needles. They are designed to not have the actual needle exposed, mainly for safety when injecting others, and for people with a needle phobia.
Perhaps those would help you. Because they are designed to not see the needle it might bother you less that you can't see it?
https://www.bd.com/en-us/products-and-solutions/products/product-brands/autoshield-duo-pen-needle

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't watch the needle when injecting ... what are you concerned about not seeing ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
my dad did have disposable pens that clicked to count his units and he just pressed a button to inject but I’m sorry I can’t recall what they were called or what insulin he was on.
That's what all insulin pens do, I think it's about the part where the needle goes in the skin, and @DiabeticDi being uncomfortable not being able to see it.
Please correct me if I misunderstood, DiabeticDi!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what all insulin pens do, I think it's about the part where the needle goes in the skin, and @DiabeticDi being uncomfortable not being able to see it.
Please correct me if I misunderstood, DiabeticDi!
Think you’re correct and it’s me that’s misunderstood;)- still the chart that’s on the page may be useful

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What I learned early on, don't hesitate when injecting oneself. Sometimes, I hit a nerve ending when injecting myself, but overwhelmingly I don't feel anything. I have not kept score, but i estimate that during the last 12 years, I must have given myself somewhere between 10 to 15 thousand injections!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I am getting very upset because i am struggling to inject now that my vision is so poor and I don't know what to do. today I spoke to my nurse. I asked her if there were any pens where you just put them on the skin, like a finger pricker really, and say pressed a button and the needle was automatically put in you. She basically said no and said why could I not just basically shove the needle in, bish bash bosh sort of thing. Should I do that or are there pens that people use?

I can see well enough to attach the needle and dial up, it's just inserting the needle. aAm I being a baby about it?

I am not going out for long periods because it would mean doing an injection away from how I have it all set up at home to do them.

Thought about a pump but would that really be any easier if I'm no good with fine detail.

any thoughts would be welcome, I don't know any other visually impaired diabetics.
I think you should ask them to do it via pharmacist, nurse, hired orderly or dr. him/herself.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know if this helps, but I regularly inject without looking what I'm doing. When I inject in the back of my arm, my bottom or my sides I don't need to see the needle actually going in. I know where my skin is, so if the pen is firmly planted on my skin the needle must be inside of me.

There are the auto shield needles. They are designed to not have the actual needle exposed, mainly for safety when injecting others, and for people with a needle phobia.
Perhaps those would help you. Because they are designed to not see the needle it might bother you less that you can't see it?
https://www.bd.com/en-us/products-and-solutions/products/product-brands/autoshield-duo-pen-needle

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Can you not get community nurses come in to do your injections?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you not get community nurses come in to do your injections?
I think you should ask them to do it via pharmacist, nurse, hired orderly or dr. him/herself.
Getting a community nurse or anyone else to come over to inject 4 to 10 times a day, at different times each day isn't very practical.
Insulin use in T1's is very dynamic, and depending on countless factors. It's not as if you can just have someone inject a fixed amount twice a day and that is that.
Being able to do your own injections is the difference between being very dependent on outside help, losing all opportunities for spontaneous decisions, and leading an almost normal life.

If I take myself as an example, I may wake up at 5AM to see I need some insulin, even though I usually don't need it until 8. I can just take half a minute to inject and put out the light to sleep for a couple more hours.
But what if I'd need to call someone to come over to give me that injection? No more sleep in that case.

Or say my neighbour asks me to come over for a cup of tea. Can't do that, because the nurses visit has been planned at that time, and I'll have to eat right after her visit.

Or the nurse has been for my pre-meal injection, and it turned out I needed a little more insulin for that meal.
Can I call her to come back two hours later to give me some more insulin?

Believe me, being dependent on outside help for your insulin is a nightmare any T1 will want to avoid at all costs, if in any way possible.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Getting a community nurse or anyone else to come over to inject 4 to 10 times a day, at different times each day isn't very practical.
Insulin use in T1's is very dynamic, and depending on countless factors. It's not as if you can just have someone inject a fixed amount twice a day and that is that.
Being able to do your own injections is the difference between being very dependent on outside help, losing all opportunities for spontaneous decisions, and leading an almost normal life.

If I take myself as an example, I may wake up at 5AM to see I need some insulin, even though I usually don't need it until 8. I can just take half a minute to inject and put out the light to sleep for a couple more hours.
But what if I'd need to call someone to come over to give me that injection? No more sleep in that case.

Or say my neighbour asks me to come over for a cup of tea. Can't do that, because the nurses visit has been planned at that time, and I'll have to eat right after her visit.

Or the nurse has been for my pre-meal injection, and it turned out I needed a little more insulin for that meal.
Can I call her to come back two hours later to give me some more insulin?

Believe me, being dependent on outside help for your insulin is a nightmare any T1 will want to avoid at all costs, if in any way possible.
Before my mother passed away, the CLSC here in Canada would send a nurse every week to give her the Warfarin medication. I understand that a week is longer than a daily requirement, but if you look at commercial services, they can do it; so why can't the medical services do it? Also, there are private health care services that you may afford to hire them for this service.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before my mother passed away, the CLSC here in Canada would send a nurse every week to give her the Warfarin medication. I understand that a week is longer than a daily requirement, but if you look at commercial services, they can do it; so why can't the medical services do it? Also, there are private health care services that you may afford to hire them for this service.
It's not a daily requirement but a multiple times a day requirement which is needed at unpredictable times. Every day, between 4 and 10 times a day without knowing how many injections a particular day will need.
It's in no way comparable to once a week or even twice a day injections.

I appreciate you're trying to help though.

Let's get back to the topic, we don't want to derail.

Reactions: DiabeticDi

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask, what is it specifically that you need to see the needle for? Is it a phobia thing, or just making sure you are in a different place each time?

I ask because I do mine more by feel that sight, and it really is pick a spot, plunge it in, make sure it’s flush with the skin (I’ve had an occasional one that seemed blunt and just pushed the skin down rather than penetrating properly), then hit the inject button.

I only have one a day now so tend to just do belly and legs where I could watch if I wanted, but I don’t need to. Even the amount is easy as I count the clicks.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Thanks for your reply and for the info about the needles. Can I ask what size and make of needles you use? I understand what you mean about not needing to see the needle going in, but don't you ever wonder if it has not bent or if you are injecting into a bruised area etc. I don't know whether a short fine needle would be best for me or a longer thicker one, if I am just jabbing it in as you say. lAfter 41 years my skin is a bit leathery but I do moisturise it every day. Have you ever been offered a pump?

Reactions: Antje77