Libre 3...... Not for a while

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Just back from my 2nd HbA1c. Asked about Libre3. As it's a CGM it doesn't fit the normal NHS funding criteria atm. So we'll all have to wait. If anyone was thinking they'd get it soon.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from my 2nd HbA1c. Asked about Libre3. As it's a CGM it doesn't fit the normal NHS funding criteria atm. So we'll all have to wait. If anyone was thinking they'd get it soon.

Hi,

From a personal perspective, I'm happy to wait for the L3.

The tech I've painfully researched invested in to have a stand alone watch as a CGM reader? (Without the need for any handheld device.) My guess is the smaller diameter on the L3 would allow more movement for the Bluetooth (Bubble mini) bridge, causing dropout from the scans as the device drifts from the edge.
Not to mention the more development in the sensor's algorithm???
Again, this might cause issue with the third party app I use with the sensor directly to my phone too..

I couldn't go through that mullarky again, soon... I'm happy getting exactly what I want the L2 to do..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As it's a CGM it doesn't fit the normal NHS funding criteria atm. So we'll all have to wait. If anyone was thinking they'd get it soon.

Surely they would want to prescribe it at least for people with reduced hypo awareness (assuming it's the same price.)? (Or am I being naive/optimistic)?

Reactions: Ipodlistener

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Surely they would want to prescribe it at least for people with reduced hypo awareness (assuming it's the same price.)? (Or am I being naive/optimistic)?
It will come and is the same cost. So I'm told. But some rich people have to be paid to shuffle some papers. When if it's better at the same cost. Please just make are lives easier hey.

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The NICE guidelines are due to change on 1 April 2022. The new guidelines should mean that in England at least it is easier for Type 1s (and some Type 2s) to be given a proper continuous glucose monitor.

The Libre 3 will be available (initially at least) through one's diabetes consultant and not on prescription through one's GP.

The cost (the price the NHS pays the manufacturer of the product) of the Libre 3 is supposed to be the same as that paid for the Libre 1 and Libre 2.

The NHS England consultant who has been leading on the change in the NICE guidelines and eligibility criteria has indicated that if local trusts/health authorities put obstacles in the way of eligible patients accessing a continuous glucose monitor proper or a flash glucose monitor (in accordance with what suits the patient's preferences as set out in the new draft guidelines) if they meet the new criteria, he will want to know why and he will not be afraid to contact those trusts to explain themselves and encourage them to follow the new guidance. To me, that suggests the funding has been put in place. The NHS might want to spend it on other things, but it is there nevertheless.

Once the new guidelines are implemented - and assuming they have not been changed - we should not be sheepish about pestering our attending clinicians to access this technology. It will be far less expensive for the NHS to provide it than to spend money treating the myriad complications that can happen if diabetes is poorly controlled.

Diabetics pay tax like everyone else!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have bad news for a lot of people... the libre 3 is a full cgm so will not be offered as an upgrade to the libre 2.. you'll need to self fund or qualify for cgm

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Excuse my ignorance, I thought the libre 2 was a cgm! If it's not that, what is it?
Libre 1 & 2 are what the call flash glucose monitors

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Libre 1 & 2 are what the call flash glucose monitors

Like @MrsA2 I am confused on this. I thought the L2 had alarms? Not much good having alarms if they don't automatically go out eg when you are asleep?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Like @MrsA2 I am confused on this. I thought the L2 had alarms? Not much good having alarms if they don't automatically go out eg when you are asleep?
Yes it has alarms only.. but only provides the bg by swiping the sensor so not a cgm. Also libre 3vcomplies to icgm standard for automatic dosing which the libre 1&2 do not

So there is no upgrade path from 1/2 to 3 unless you qualify for full cgm

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Attached is screen shop from the monthly news letter from my pump team at Southampton General hospital

So irrespective of how people classify libre 2.. the NHS has taken the line that they are different (which they are) so the same criteria would have to be met as getting a dexcom which has been only a small group of people

However nice guidance now means more t1s may get it
afc38ef3375969d1c4022d5f8f0b48e4.jpg

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Confused. My Libre 2 alarms woke me up twice last night when it was below 3.9. How does that work?
Of course I swiped sleepily to find out the result, but still the alarm went off which is a good thing.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Confused. My Libre 2 alarms woke me up twice last night when it was below 3.9. How does that work?
Of course I swiped sleepily to find out the result, but still the alarm went off which is a good thing.
Libre has alarms.. but does not provide the BG unless you swipe libre 3 is real cgm providing a constant bg

Libre 1&2 available via gp
Libre 3 available via hospital or self fund

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What advantage does L3 have other than being cgm and a lot smaller? I do have a cgm but that's only worthwhile IMO because it connects to my pump thus can make minute adjustments to insulin.
If FSL still gives you regular trend lines provided you swipe within 8 hours and hypo/hyper warnings what extra help do you expect from L3? Hopefully in time the L3 will connect to a pump.
Main breakthrough is that all type 1s should be able to get some kind of libre or have I got that wrong?

Reactions: EllieM

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What advantage does L3 have other than being cgm and a lot smaller? I do have a cgm but that's only worthwhile IMO because it connects to my pump thus can make minute adjustments to insulin.
If FSL still gives you regular trend lines provided you swipe within 8 hours and hypo/hyper warnings what extra help do you expect from L3? Hopefully in time the L3 will connect to a pump.
Main breakthrough is that all type 1s should be able to get some kind of libre or have I got that wrong?
The main thing libre 3 should very more accurate it needs to be to meet the ichm standard to connect to a pump

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
You swipe and use NFC. But the alarms and Libre3 use Bluetooth. Libre can tell you that you are going high/low. Libre3 improvement is you swipe NFC to start but after that all data is via Bluetooth with no swiping

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
The main thing libre 3 should very more accurate it needs to be to meet the ichm standard to connect to a pump
As it's an improvement at the same price. It's just a matter of time. Unless Abbott is giving the NHS a really big discount. I'm new to this game. But presume these are the same conversations from when L2 came out

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
As it's an improvement at the same price. It's just a matter of time. Unless Abbott is giving the NHS a really big discount. I'm new to this game. But presume these are the same conversations from when L2 came out
At the moment NHS are saying no upgrades from 1/2 to 3

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was signed up for a hospital trial of the 3. Unfortunately due to my forthcoming holiday, it now doesn’t fit in. Have been put at top of list for next trial.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was signed up for a hospital trial of the 3. Unfortunately due to my forthcoming holiday, it now doesn’t fit in. Have been put at top of list for next trial.

Will be very interested to hear how you go when you do get it.