Do ketones have a “dawn phenomenon”

Drfarxan

I noticed that my blood ketone is very high in the morning than during the day and into the evening it drops.
In the morning its 2.2-3.7 and in the evening its 0.5-1
Anyone else measuring thier ketones? did you experience the same?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow those levels are amazing well done.
I used to find that my ketones were higher during a fast so maybe your body has become exceptional at producing them during your overnight fast. Are the evening readings before or after food? How often are you eating?

Last edited:
M

Member496333

When I was still measuring such things regularly it wasn't unusual for me to hit a ~1:1 glucose/ketone ratio in the mornings. Pretty sure I once scored a 4.0/4.0 which I thought was impressive at the time. Ketones would often fall off during the day but not always. Haven't tested in well over a year but I eat a lot more protein now so I would expect them to be slightly lower than when I was fat hunting.

TLDR; Yes, I would imagine it's expected to have elevated fasting ketones. Makes logical sense. In fact it should be normal physiology in a population that isn't largely hyperinsulinemic 24/7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drfarxan

Got some explaination from reddit. I use OMAD,so according to the answer all the ketones get used for energy during my fast. After a fatty meal it will go up again.
I eat around 7-8 pm before the meal it comes around 0.5-0.6 after the meal it goes up to 1 so it makes sense. Guess when i am sleeping it raises.

Reactions: Mathewted