Pain in thighs

Mimi1967

Hi I am newly diagnosed type 2….as in diagnosed 5 days ago. (Friday)
I spoke to GP as waking 6 or 7 times a night to pass urine. She did a blood test and levels were 120 and blood glucose. Of 26.
Prescribed Metformin. All over the phone so no face to face appointment.
I am still getting my head round everything and can’t remember much of what was said to me.
Went to ooh doctor on Sunday as I felt so I’ll and was sent to A and E.
Glucose down to 18.6
Consultant there explained that he would expect me to feel rubbish at the minute because the glucose level is still quite high.
I am feeling a bit better today but I have terrible pain in my thighs. Thinking back I have probably had this pain for a few weeks. Is it likely to be related to the diabetes?
I have a 10 minute phone call with my GP this afternoon and I have so much to ask her that I don’t want to waste time on asking about this if it is not related!
I understand that diabetics can have nerve problems but I though that was just in their feet.
Thanks
Caroline

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Mimi1967
Can't say I've ever heard of pains in the thighs being caused by diabetes but who knows, it's possible. High blood sugar or the medication prescribed for it can cause us all sorts of problems. I would think that for the moment your priority needs to be getting your blood sugar levels down. The metformin you have been given should help a little but the most effective way of lowering your blood sugar is diet.
When carbohydrates are digested they get changed into glucose and are distributed through the blood stream to be used for energy. Unfortunately T2's have trouble using that glucose because our insulin no longer works as efficiently as it should, its called insulin resistance.
Have a look at the link below my post, "the nutritional thingy" it should give you some ideas of how to go about reducing carbs in your diet

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a similar experience to you- had a weird pain in my side- like a random ache- for a few weeks before I went to the doctors who checked my blood sugar and ketones and packed me off to a&e with bm of 30 and ketones in my urine, and was put on a drip for dka. Since my blood sugar has gone down over the last few months, the random ache has gone. It’s amazing what odd things our bodies do when our blood sugar levels are high. Also I didn’t realise how rubbish I felt until I started feeling better, you know? So yeah I can totally see that random aches and pains can be related to high bm. Anyway I hope you feel better soon, take care

LINMARIE

This is why this site so good as you can always find somebody to allay any fears you have or have had similar experience and how to help problem Strange as i had pain in thigh for months thought was trapped nerve but since going low carb high fat diet my pain gone but my hbac1 readings were not as high as you both so very strange .......