Blood pressure and Lisinopril

dani-a

Hi everyone,

Have just been down for my first appointment with the consultant at Tunbridge Wells Diabetic Centre, hopefully have put things in place to get a pump, however that's not the subject I need some help with.
I have been taking 10mg of Lisinopril for prob about 12 yrs (to help with preventing complications) but on my last review my previous consultant stated I was suffering with hypertension and upped my dose to 20mg in November 2011. Since then I have been constantly exhausted and feeling giddy when getting up in the mornings and when my BP was checked today in lying and standing positions it was only 115 over 54.
Is this a little too low esp as I normally suffer with white coat syndrome?
Any answers gratefully received as i am a tad worried
Thanks
Dani

trand

symtoms seem very simaler to mine,... not quite q head ache but not right as if a head cold...??

sugar2

Sounds pods like previous doc may have humped the gun with upping yr dose. Did it measure high repeatedly? I am not a Dr, but the nurse at the god was able to repeat multiple times my bp and reduced it to 2.5. I am on rwsinopril tho, as lisinopril made me cough

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I have had high blood pressure for many years. I take 3 tablets every morning and mine is now what they call very good and stable my average is 117 / 74. So your upper one 115 is within reasonable limits and thats the one that moves up and down depending on mood. stress etc. The lower figure of 54 I would suggest is a bit low and that could give you a dizzy feeling when getting up from lying down. You should ask for your blood pressure to be monitored by your GP,You can wear a monitor for 24 hours to get a real reading away from the surgery and white coat syndrome. I believe that if you have diabetes they like it a little lower than standard of 120/80 but yours appears a bit low, but only a GP can really say. If you feel dizzy just give yourself a few minutes and rise slowly do not stand quickly until you get it looked into. If you are over medicated they can soon fix it.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hello,

I've had this a lot; it sounds to me to be another example of failure of joined up thinking.

Lisinopril has some very good protective effects on kidney function and also possibly retinal health for diabetics. It doesn't seem to have many if any problematic side effects so as a diabetic it seems sensible to takes it. It's main role though is to lower blood pressure; again that's another positive reason to take it as a diabetic if you also have raised blood pressure.

I have never had high blood pressure but on a number of occasions when seeing new doctors they see the Lisinopril and say 'ah hypertension' - because hypertension is a real problem with diabetics and Lisinopril is the go-to drug for dealing with that. Then we have a long conversation about me not having hypertension and that the reason I'm on Lisinopril is for the protective benefits and the doctor goes 'ah yes, of course, of course'. Until the next time I see a doctor or nurse and they say 'ah hypertension' and we start our lovely conversation once more and it never ever happens again, not until the next time that is :roll:

It sounds like you are on too high a dose and I would say the rule of thumb with any medication is take as little as possible to achieve the desired effect.

So, I would suggest that you start having the 'I don't have hypertension' conversation and learn to love it as you will be having it pretty much every time you speak to someone...

Best

Dillinger

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dani,

Not wishing to comment on your bp reading but I would like to suggest something to you. Buy yourself a home bp monitoring machine (with upper-arm cuff) and start to check your bp at home or work if you please, record the readings and show them to your gp/consultant at your next visit, not saying they'll use this as a basis of your daily bp but it will help them make an assessment overall.

I use one of these monitors and take the readings into clinic when having a check-up, my bp is normally slightly raised when I attend (white coat hypertension) but my gp/consultant are more than happy to go off my home readings.