HbA1c 106mmol/mol

Mscmhs1

Today I’ve been given a test result of 106mmol/mol despite being on 1000mg of metformin a day! How is this even possible?

sgm14

Today I’ve been given a test result of 106mmol/mol despite being on 1000mg of metformin a day! How is this even possible?

What does your endo say?

Metformin isn't some miracle drug that can fix all problems. It worked for me for a couple of years but I'm quite sure that my HbA1c would be as high as yours if I was still on it rather than being switching to insulin.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snap. Five years ago I was in the exact same postion as you are now, but I was also maxed out on a cocktail of meds (Metformin, Gliclazide, and Actos) My GP was sending me to the hospital to get fitted up with insulin as the only way to go. At this same time I discovered this site, and explored the success stories anf testimonials section, and discovered that many were benefitting from low carb diets. So I dived in, and within a week I was seeing results. Now, today, I am in a better place. I have stopped most of the meds, and reduced the remaining one to minimum dose. I am averaging readings around 6 mmol.l and my weight is static with a good BMI. I am still low carbing and comfortable with it.

It might be of benefit for you too. even if you need insulin treatment from now it could still help you.

Another diet that might be of use is the Newcastle Diet, and there are also the various Blood Sugar Diets that are ultra low calorie diets. Not suitable for me because I am TOFI and cannot afford to lose any more weight.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Very easily unfortunately.

If I eat anything close to a 'normal' diet my A1C sails over 100, meds or not.