Going Abroad

MattD303

Hello everyone! Hope you’re all well! I am going on my first holiday abroad in a few weeks Since my diagnosis back in April 2020! I was just wondering if anyone could feedback any experiences they had with diabetes abroad and what to expect.

I am taking a cool bag for insulin and taking more than enough supplies, including testing strips and lancets, even though I have a libre!

Also what was the airport situation like as well? I have my letter to say I can carry insulin and needles, but does this add extra time during security checks? Does your libre force the machine scanner to go off when walking through? These are just a few things going through my mind during the build up. Would just like to know if it’s actually more straight forward than it seems

Thanks everyone, Matt

Reactions: M@

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What to expect is nothing different to what you experience at home.
The airport rarely comment on anything diabetes. The Libre does not set off any alarms. Needles cannot be seen by the x-ray. Insulin may need to go in a plastic bag (sometimes they care and sometimes they don't) - reusable pens make this much easier. There is no extra time needed at security. There is no minefield. Yes, it is far more straightforward than you think.

Enjoy your trip - I assume it is a holiday (although not necessarily as most of my 100+ flights with diabetes have been for business)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have traveled abroad maybe 40 -50 times and always carried a letter from my Dr to say i'me type 1 but never been asked to show it , I always mention to security that I have needles and they just say ok and wave me through , the only mention I have had was from Japan airlines who kindly asked me if I would like to store my insulin in their fridge . Don't worry and have a great holiday !

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always mention to security that I have needles
I take care never to share personal information such as this unless explicitly asked. The needles do not show up on the x-ray so there is no need.
If I am asked whether I am carrying any sharp items (used to happen when checking in luggage but I have not done that for many years), I will respond that I am. My evil twin takes over temporarily and hesitates as the check-in staff start to panic and then add that I have diabetes and they relax.

There is absolutely no need to tell security staff. I have not done so for 100s of flights.

Reactions: M@

MattD303

I have traveled abroad maybe 40 -50 times and always carried a letter from my Dr to say i'me type 1 but never been asked to show it , I always mention to security that I have needles and they just say ok and wave me through , the only mention I have had was from Japan airlines who kindly asked me if I would like to store my insulin in their fridge . Don't worry and have a great holiday !

Thank you for that! That’s very helpful! Yeah I’ll have my letter with me just in case then!

MattD303

What to expect is nothing different to what you experience at home.
The airport rarely comment on anything diabetes. The Libre does not set off any alarms. Needles cannot be seen by the x-ray. Insulin may need to go in a plastic bag (sometimes they care and sometimes they don't) - reusable pens make this much easier. There is no extra time needed at security. There is no minefield. Yes, it is far more straightforward than you think.

Enjoy your trip - I assume it is a holiday (although not necessarily as most of my 100+ flights with diabetes have been for business)

Perfect! Thank you for your reply! Yeah it’s a trip to Zakynthos! Long overdue haha! That’s all reassuring to hear! I was worried my libre would force an alarm to go off and then it all to add loads of time, with Bristol airport as it is at the moment I wouldn’t want any extra inconveniences! Thanks again!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perfect! Thank you for your reply! Yeah it’s a trip to Zakynthos! Long overdue haha! That’s all reassuring to hear! I was worried my libre would force an alarm to go off and then it all to add loads of time, with Bristol airport as it is at the moment I wouldn’t want any extra inconveniences! Thanks again!
Bristol is my local airport and they definitely have no problems with Libre at their security and you do not need to tell them you have diabetes and carrying needles.
They even cope with my insulin pump with no issues.

Good luck with the flight problems. If any flights are cancelled, I hope it is the return one and you get a longer holiday - just remember to take extra supplies with you in case it happens.

Lakeslover

With the current airline problems definitely take supplies for extra days in case of delay.

have something to eat with you, don’t rely on the airline as some have been running out. Also something to treat hypos and keep this and your meter (to check if libre warning of hype is correct) under the seat in front so you can get to it quickly even if the seatbelt sign is on.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a wonderful time. I used to live on Zakinthos and have many fond memories! Just leave plenty of time to clear security etc. Not because of T1 but I nearly missed my flight a couple of weeks ago due to the queues!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
You'll have no problems going through security. On teh plane I carry my reader and glucose supplies in my travel waistcoat along with my bolus insulin pen. Hope you enjoy your holiday on Zakynthos, we'll be there too next week and this time won't have the major hassle of the paper work we had last August!

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucky you! I had my Libre course yesterday and they confirmed not to go through the full body scanner, the archway is fine, and to not put spare Libre in the hold, as it's too cold, but apart from that, there was nothing to do differently. Oh and as for swimming, as long as you let the Libre get some fresh air for 5-10 minutes for each 30 mins or so in the water, it'll be fine. Enjoy :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
As everyone has said, there'll be no problem at the airport. Don't forget to take spare batteries for your meter

shulley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone! Hope you’re all well! I am going on my first holiday abroad in a few weeks Since my diagnosis back in April 2020! I was just wondering if anyone could feedback any experiences they had with diabetes abroad and what to expect.

I am taking a cool bag for insulin and taking more than enough supplies, including testing strips and lancets, even though I have a libre!

Also what was the airport situation like as well? I have my letter to say I can carry insulin and needles, but does this add extra time during security checks? Does your libre force the machine scanner to go off when walking through? These are just a few things going through my mind during the build up. Would just like to know if it’s actually more straight forward than it seems

Thanks everyone, Matt
Firstly have a lovely time.
Secondly Bristol airport good choice.............Avoid EXETER a tad behind the times. A pump what is that?:meh:The full body search:mad: including take of your shoes and socks:banghead: No help or seat when I tried to put them back on again :arghh:Been type1 for 50 years and reached the ripe old age of 76. I look back at my life with laughter. A practice nurse who was quoted by reception as the diabetic expert :nurse:on my annual check up said 'why arn't you giving yourself the injections?' 'excuse me was my reply? I am on an insulin pump! Reply from her yes and.?:rolleyes: Needless to say I never went back.................Gone of on a tangent. Things will happen to you and you will learn to walk away and not let it get to you. So as well as enjoy your holiday enjoy what life will enevitably throws at you

Blanchoid

We went to Zakynthos las yer and they were more concerned with my DSLR camera than any of my diabetic stuff,!!

Just keep everthing in your hand luggage, always take a manual tester and enough lancets and test strips to last you don't know if the Libre will fall off.

Mine was starting to but it was nearing the tine for a new one anyway so I just put apatch over it.

If your luggage goes missing you will still at least be able to take insulin and test!

NEVER put insulin in the hold luggage, the temperatures are freezing in the hold, the glass may crack and freezing can make the insulin ineffective!

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree with all the above, however, I would not let the cabin crew pop my insulin in the fridge these days, having done this once many many years ago on a flight to australia and discovering that the fridge in question was effectively an ice bath - the insulin seemed to work, but the boxes (S&I) fell apart. I'd now see if they could give me some ice to pop in the coolbag I always take with me (along with a plastic bag + clip to put the ice in).

Bon voyage!

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The last time I flew was my first with my Libre and was expecting the 'step to one side' command after gpoing through security but there were no such issues for me. Leaving the UK it took over an hour to go through security at 4am, longer later for my friend at 5am.
The only issue I've had with flying and diabetes was down to my choice of food before I flew, I chose to have a pasta saled type meal and when I tested in the departure lounge my BS levels weren't very high, I did have some Haribo with me to munch on but not many so tested again as I was in the queue to board and my levels were higher than last check but I felt the need for something more substantial than Haribo so as I boarded the plane I spoke to cabin crew and blagged a kit-kat and mentioned my 'issue'. A few minutes before the doors were closed I was asked by cabin crew if I was OK to fly and said my levels were good, now in double figures, the captain wanted to make sure otherwise I would have been de-planed!! When the coffee trolley came round I offered to pay for the kit-kat but the cabin crew refused, as I left the plane I thanked the cabin crew again.