Glucometer reads Hi 5 times

Omespecial

Hello I need help!!!
My 6 years old had a crisis in February and March this year and was admitted. His HbA1 was initially 17.1 but later dropped to 6.3
On the 19th of June, his temperature rose to 38.6 degrees and he had cold chills.
I checked his RBS was 405mm/dL and I gave him 3 i.u of novorapid insulin aspart and in the morning of 20th June, his RBS dropped to 285mm/dL.
But all further RBS done has shown “Hi” as the reading and I’ve given him 2 shots of insulin and the RBS is still “Hi”.
So this night around 11pm I checked again and it dropped to 559mm/dL. And I administered the long acting Lontus with 3iu. I’ll check again in the morning.
Is there something else I need to do ?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello I need help!!!
My 6 years old had a crisis in February and March this year and was admitted. His HbA1 was initially 17.1 but later dropped to 6.3
On the 19th of June, his temperature rose to 38.6 degrees and he had cold chills.
I checked his RBS was 405mm/dL and I gave him 3 i.u of novorapid insulin aspart and in the morning of 20th June, his RBS dropped to 285mm/dL.
But all further RBS done has shown “Hi” as the reading and I’ve given him 2 shots of insulin and the RBS is still “Hi”.
So this night around 11pm I checked again and it dropped to 559mm/dL. And I administered the long acting Lontus with 3iu. I’ll check again in the morning.
Is there something else I need to do ?

Hi Omespecial and welcome to the forums.

Adult T1s are usually given instructions by their medical teams on how to cope with high blood sugars. (There are rules on how much to increase your insulin by.)

If I had a 6 year old with levels like that I would call his team or the hospital emergency line, or go to the hospital. Are you able to talk to a doctor NOW?

Are you also able to test his blood for ketones? The fear here is that your child may go into diabetic ketoacidosis which needs emergency treatment in hospital.

I hope your son gets better soon but I urge you to seek medical help.