Not Coeliac, but eat GF

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
10 years ago my dietitian told me I am Coeliac w/o running any test. Anyhow, I started a gluten free diet and I lost about 65 lbs.
I don’t think I am coeliac but I eat gluten free and it’s easy for me to control my BG and it good for my metabolism.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I wonder if losing 65lb and therefore reducing your insulin resistance has more an effect than the gluten free eating?

Well done losing the weight and achieving good numbers.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I wonder if losing 65lb and therefore reducing your insulin resistance has more an effect than the gluten free eating?

Well done losing the weight and achieving good numbers.

I think losing weight has more to do with gluten free diet. No wheat, pizza , pasta , rice and so on. I use to drink lots of beer and I stopped that too. Thanks for the reply.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10 years ago my dietitian told me I am Coeliac w/o running any test. Anyhow, I started a gluten free diet and I lost about 65 lbs.
I don’t think I am coeliac but I eat gluten free and it’s easy for me to control my BG and it good for my metabolism.

I can't say I'm overly impressed with the dietician you saw.

That said, testing for coeliac is inexact, and even someone who is coeliac can pass the test in certain circumstances, meaning their antibody levels are low at the time. Bloods should be followed up by a colonoscopy to look for gut damage caused by glute.

I too eat a strictly gluten-free diet and have done for a few years now, on instruction of my Endo. I don't see him for diabetes (although we do chat about it sometimes), but for my thyroid.

He instructed a comprehensive panel of bloods to look for auto0immune conditions - due to an extreme family history. I dodged that bullet, but with his knowledge I had not gluten loaded for the test, as I wasn't eating myuch anyway and to load up would not reflect my lifestyle at that time.

Although I passed the test, I declined a follow-up colonoscopy, on the basis I felt I was symptom-free, but some time into GF I found I felt better. Bearing in mind the treatment for coeliac is a gluten-free diet, I'm happy just to continue with that.

If living GF works for you, don't change it. I do agree that ditching the gluten was likely a factor in your weight loss, and that weight loss is likely also a factor in your blood glucose control. Both of those are common phenomenon with t2 diabetes.

If it works, just keep doing it.

I'm not keen on labels, and quite happy not to have to carry coeliac with me. If I eat gluten it's not too pleasant, but unlikely to see me off as a one-off.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Tillylily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a sister with Coeliac diagnosed 30 years ago. Since feeling unwell at Christmas 2021 I suspected all the symptoms I had attributed to other medication side effects could actually be Coeliac. I started to actively avoid gluten and my symptoms slowly disappeared. Having waited 3 weeks for a GP appointment, avoiding gluten during that time, the test proved negative. Nevertheless I have continued to eat gluten free, have lost 2 stone and feel so much better. One thing I did discover was that the Xanthan gum ( powder) used in a lot of baked gluten free goods does give rise to horrid digestive symptoms. I did wonder whether I had accidentally eaten something containing gluten. My HBA1c has improved as has my general health.