Tandem vs Medtrum nano

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Been a long time since I've been on here! After years of wanting one I've FINALLY been offered a pump in the hope of reducing my HBA1C before we start trying for a baby. I've written off the Medtronic as it seemed chunkier and didn't have much benefit to me over the Tandem but have a couple questions:

1. Is close looping with the Dexcom really worth it? This seems like the main benefit of Tandem to me and as I already self fund the libre I'd consider switching to Dexcom if it was worth it.

2. The only drawback of the Medtrum nano as far as I can tell is the potential for skin reaction. Has anyone else got any drawbacks of this? (Or patch pumps in general).

Thanks!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using the Nano since it was released.
I love that it is small and I can manage it from my phone.
I have recently been funding the Nano CGM. The combination is not full Closed Loop but the ability to auto-suspend when my levels go low is great and the Medtrum CGM is more accurate for me than Libre whilst costing about the same.

Unfortunately, I do experience skin reactions so use HyperFix tape under the patch and my skin has been fine. Unfortunately, the pump does not stick as well to the tape but it has never fallen off. Medtrum tell me they are changing the glue so the problems should be resolved soon.

Some people have complained about patch pumps being fixed to one area for 3 days whereas tubey ones only having the cannula fixed and the pump can go anywhere on its tether. Given the size of the Nano, this has never been a problem for me.
However, as the whole pump is larger than a cannula, it needs a larger area of flesh without boney bits and enough fat (I am slim) to attach to. As a result, I find there are less site options.
Another downside is more waste. The nano is small but it definitely does not feel very green throwing away a patch with all its electronics every set change.
I understand that you can do software upgrades to the T-Slim to get new capabilities. You cannot do this for the Nano but Medtrum send me a new pump base when they do an upgrade. Again, this feels like a bit of a waste but my previous pump did not allow any upgrades.

Reactions: becky.ford93

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've being using the nano since December but I've no experience of the Tandem.

I really like the Nano - small, ability to control it via my phone etc. that + the fact the battery is embedded means you don't need to carry spare batteries. All good things

I too have a bit of a reaction to the adhesive and use HyperFix + RockTape (to help secure it).

The Nano has a steel cannula so it can't bend (good) but like all pumps it can fail or block and one disadvantage of patch pumps is that if it blocks you need to throw away whatever insulin is left inside.

Richard101

I've been using the Nano since February this year (and with Dexcom) and I get a reaction from the adhesive so use a HyperFix like tape as both an underpatch and overpatch to ensure the Nano stays attached. I can only have it attached for 2 days and not 3 due to my skin's reaction.

That said I really like the form factor - I particularly like I can bolus, eat whatever, and then immediately have a shower and don't have to take the pump off! Simple things and all that :)

Compared to the Medtronic I was on previously I do find the Medtrum to be a lot less reliable - things have improved but at one stage I was experiencing a 33% failure rate in the patches. And as already mentioned, once you have a failure you have to change the whole patch! I would say I still get c. 10% failure and I find these very stressful - this compares to a failure rate of 1 in every 30 or so for the Medtronic infusion sets.

I like tubeless so I will stay on the Nano as long as I possibly can.

fmacd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Been a long time since I've been on here! After years of wanting one I've FINALLY been offered a pump in the hope of reducing my HBA1C before we start trying for a baby. I've written off the Medtronic as it seemed chunkier and didn't have much benefit to me over the Tandem but have a couple questions:

1. Is close looping with the Dexcom really worth it? This seems like the main benefit of Tandem to me and as I already self fund the libre I'd consider switching to Dexcom if it was worth it.

2. The only drawback of the Medtrum nano as far as I can tell is the potential for skin reaction. Has anyone else got any drawbacks of this? (Or patch pumps in general).

Thanks!

Hi Becky,

I've been using the Nano since it first came out last year along with the Dexcom G6.

First of all the Dexcom is streets ahead of the Freestyle; much more accurate with very rare failures. It's unobtrusive, so much so that when I have to change it I often can't remember where it's sited.

And that brings us onto the Nano. There have been definite teething problems with it, especially since Shanghai - where they're manufactured - has had two enforced Covid lockdowns which caused inconsistencies in the product. Occlusions; patch not recognising app when you attach transmitter so it can't be used; Nano sometimes full of air meaning it won't fill and other irritating faults. BUT, the Nano obviously is tiny and unobtrusive and despite the problems, I still prefer it to others. Customer Service is excellent and they always replace faulty ones. As far as the skin reactionis concerned, I too get that and had tried everything. Found an excellent solution though. A doctor friend of mine suggested I try a post-operative dressing called DuoDerm Extra Thin. It's like a piece of skin that you stick the patch onto and voila! it works. Much easier to peel off at the end of the three days too and I get it on the NHS. Hope this helps as I think it's really important that Type Ones share these experiences before the next level gets underway - mock pancreas, anyone?