Libre 3

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sincerely hope that Libre 3 is more accurate and reliable than Libre 2 when it arrives.

In addition Abbott have a lot to learn about customer service. I have been waiting 7 days for 2 replacement sensors and have just been told that due to the large number of orders it will be another 7 days. I do not have any sensors at the moment. The chemist I use is also having difficulty in getting supplies

Utter frustration

I am sorry to hear about the supply issues you've had.

Touch wood, I've been very lucky so far. My pharmacist has always managed to get stock in and when my sensors have been faulty Abbott have been able to provide a replacement within 5-7 days.

At the moment I'm still waiting to get my usual order of fast acting insulin which I ordered (and which My GP prescribed) just under three weeks ago. The pharmacist tells me there are supply issues. Thankfully My GP arranged an emergency supply, but troubling nevertheless.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. Pleased your GP could help with your insulin. As you say worrying none the less

If I do get not sensors from the chemist tomorrow I will contact the Pump team and see if they can help

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So with the NHS announcing 'dexcom for all T1's'.
Do they plan to switch over existing nhs users of libre 2?

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Dexcom one is just a rebranded G6. Probably trying to off load em before G7 release. Either way if Libre3 was more expensive. I think I'd rather pay the difference just so I don't have to scan. Libre2 has been great in the little time I've used it. Libre3 is meant to be better. Also on my Libre link via computer for whatever reason it says my data is being collected by Libre3. Not Libre2 which I'm using.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Screenshot_20220811-200609_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

PIPPO_PIPPI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sincerely hope that Libre 3 is more accurate and reliable than Libre 2 when it arrives.
Hello.
As of this month, the Freestyle Libre 3 sensor can be prescribed in Italy through the National Health Service, but before I switched from FSL 1 to 3, I asked my endo for a test.
So I tested it for a fortnight, and these are the results of my experience, which I hope will be useful to others.
1- Reliability- FSL3 does not calibrate, so the value shown by the App is the one calculated by the sensor. The first two-three days were always 30-40% lower than those from BG and the calibrated ones from xDrip+ with FSL 1 and Miaomiao.
Then they became surprisingly VERY accurate, about 5-8% compared to BG, and this was the case until day 14. From this first test I would say that FSL 3 probably needs a longer settling-in period than the others, say at least a couple of days.
2- App Freestyle Libre 3- Unfortunately, although the new sensor is a jewel of technology, powerful, precise, tiny indeed, it has the usual problem: its App. While with xDrp+ and its variants I can have with FSL 1 and the Miaomiao a very efficient CGM system that can be configured at will by the user, the Libre 3 gives very little. For example the alarms: there are only 3, High, Low, Signal Lost, and all of them are not configurable except for the Min-Max threshold values. With xDrip+ you can choose from many alarms, including those for very fast descent/ascent, or alerts for calibration, for dirty values, for persistent high or low values, for predictions of low or high values, and so on. And finally, with xDrip it is possible to enter the amounts of CHO taken and the I.U. injected, and from this to obtain predictions of BG trends and 'Insulin on board'.
3- Graphics- Terribly poor, with various visibility problems, such as the lack of zoom, so you only have the curve for 12 hours, without being able to see the last three hours in detail for example. If the values are in range, the curve is white on a light green background, practically invisible in daylight. The alarms all sound the same, and cannot be replaced by others. The screen gives no other information, such as the calculated A1c value, although with all the free space it has it could show much more.
4- Diagnostics- Apart from the graphics, FSL 3 App gives a lot of indications, and this is important, but even here it could be done better, graphically..
After these two weeks of testing, I think that the FSL 3 and its App could be the turning point in the diabetic life of everyone who has used the FSL 1 and its App so far, without the need for sophistication. For those who, like me, instead use and appreciate the many options and possibilities offered by FSL 1 with Miaomiao and xDrip+, I consider FSL 3 unsuitable. At least until Abbott puts its apps in the hands of people who have experience with diabetes and graphics as well as Android and IOS programming.
My opinion, of course....
Andrea :)

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After some persistent emails to my diabetes team, I have now been given the go ahead for 12 months supply of libre 3. Which in 12 months will be reviewed.
Direct from abbot, not via nhs prescription. (not sure how this is funded)
Anyway, looking forward to a smaller device attached to my arm

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done!

Just remind me. Apart from your admirable persistence, and your desire for something smaller, newer and shinier, what benefits in care do you expect?

I ask, only because my consultant says a L2 and Juggluco gives all the data that an L3 would, and won't be budged.

I'm envious:grumpy:

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After some persistent emails to my diabetes team, I have now been given the go ahead for 12 months supply of libre 3. Which in 12 months will be reviewed.
Direct from abbot, not via nhs prescription. (not sure how this is funded)
Anyway, looking forward to a smaller device attached to my arm
Congratulations Zinadane

I will be extremely surprised if your local integrated care system (the former clinical commissioning group) isn't funding your Libre 3.

My Endo has dangled the prospect of a Libre 3 much later in the year, with an insulin pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zinadane

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done!

Just remind me. Apart from your admirable persistence, and your desire for something smaller, newer and shinier, what benefits in care do you expect?

I ask, only because my consultant says a L2 and Juggluco gives all the data that an L3 would, and won't be budged.

Hello Barrym

I'm surprised any clinician is proactively encouraging the use of any medical device (including software) that has not been scrutinised and licensed for such use by the UK's official, government-backed medical devices regulator, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency who licence and authorise all medical devices (including medical software) for use by patients in the UK.

I'm surprised because if anything goes wrong and subsequent investigations reveal that the unlicensed product was wholly or partially at fault, then legal consequences may flow from that.

Clinicians have to be super alive to not encourage their patients to adopt and use medical devices that have not been licensed for such use by the MHRA because, depending on the facts, the failure of such products may put their ability to continue to practise as clinicians in jeopardy.

There is of course also the ever-present risk that the owners of officially licensed glucose monitoring products may take action to stop unlicensed third party "add on" devices, including software, from infringing the official products' intellectual property rights.

I'm sure neither the MHRA nor the NHS condone NHS staff encouraging patients to use unlicensed third party products which may infringe the intellectual property rights of official MHRA licensed products.

The availability of a third party product (which we know Abbott has had removed from the Google Play store on the grounds that Abbott believe it infringes their intellectual property rights) that has not been licensed by the MHRA shouldn't be used as a bona fide reason by any clinician to deny proper consideration of your eligibility for a Libre 3.

I know My Endo will make their patients aware of third party products but they are scrupulous in not encouraging use of any unlicensed third party products.

We were promised when the Libre 2 came out that those who wanted to would be able to move to the Libre 3 when the Libre 3 became available.That hasn't happened.

I want the ability to scan my sensor once to start the thing and then not have to wave a phone or reader over my arm eight plus times a day to see readings. I want to start the sensor and then
get readings automatically for the next 14 days.

And yes, I now want something that has a smaller footprint on my skin.

From an environmental viewpoint, the Libre 3's footprint is significantly better than the Libre 2 in terms of product and packaging waste.

Abbott must catch up with Dexcom and make their sensor glucose data readily transferable to most available smartwatches without the need for third party bridging software.

Last edited:

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done!

In practice I do not expect any real difference as far as BG management goes.

In theory I suppose it should be more accurate/reliable but I’m not expecting a major difference.

I pushed for it on the basis it would offer me CGM.

Like you I already have cgm via L2 juggluco/xdrip and it works brilliantly!

I’m not sure if health professionals offer support for 3rd party apps, not a problem for me. But I think they will only go with L3 and the official abbot app for cgm.

So, L3 is the official cgm route I believe, of course, there are then the compatibility issues, which I guess is why it is not being rolled out to all L2 users.

I wanted L3 as it is smaller and less obtrusive (will surely not get knocked off so often)

Packaging so much smaller when you are going on your hols for 3-4 weeks and need to take a supply.
Yeah, I wanted it cause it’s the new shiny one!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In practice I do not expect any real difference as far as BG management goes.

In theory I suppose it should be more accurate/reliable but I’m not expecting a major difference.

I pushed for it on the basis it would offer me CGM.

Like you I already have cgm via L2 juggluco/xdrip and it works brilliantly!

I’m not sure if health professionals offer support for 3rd party apps, not a problem for me. But I think they will only go with L3 and the official abbot app for cgm.

So, L3 is the official cgm route I believe, of course, there are then the compatibility issues, which I guess is why it is not being rolled out to all L2 users.

I wanted L3 as it is smaller and less obtrusive (will surely not get knocked off so often)

Packaging so much smaller when you are going on your hols for 3-4 weeks and need to take a supply.
Yeah, I wanted it cause it’s the new shiny one!
Hi,

Oddly I’m using a Diabox & xDrip combo. For L2. There seems more flexibility than the Abbott app.
It’ll be interesting to find out. But I’m not overly keen to be messing with my current set up due to a potential algorithm change for the MK111 sensor.
Lol, I’ve been using a smart watch too which takes data from a BT bridge independent of the phone.? Been doing it with the l2 for years & used the watch with the previous L1.

I can wait longer. If/ or when it happens for me.

Reactions: SimonP78

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Just had my annual review not that good problems other health issues impacting on Diabetes

Asked the consultant about Libre 3

His words

I would love to put you on Libre 3 it would be ideal for you

BUT as yet there is no funding for it in this Area & I do not know when there will be.

He then went on

He would ask one of the nurses to get in touch to see if something else would help I took this to mean Dexcom 1

So I guess it’s still a Post Code Lottery if you can get one

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Just had my annual review not that good problems other health issues impacting on Diabetes

Asked the consultant about Libre 3

His words

I would love to put you on Libre 3 it would be ideal for you

BUT as yet there is no funding for it in this Area & I do not know when there will be.

He then went on

He would ask one of the nurses to get in touch to see if something else would help I took this to mean Dexcom 1

So I guess it’s still a Post Code Lottery if you can get one
So frustrating.
50 test strips cost approx £12
10 test a day, so 3 boxes for a 2 week period.
£36 test strips vs £52 for libre 2
Complete no brainer.
Some clueless non-diabetic financial wizard has saved the NHS £12/month. At what cost to the patient. Utter madness!

Last edited:
Reactions: BadaBing

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So frustrating.
Complete no brainer.
Some clueless non-diabetic financial wizard has saved the NHS £12/month. At what cost to the patient. Utter madness!
It truly is a no brainer. 80% of the amount the NHS spends each year on diabetes is spent treating preventable complications.

Why not give diabetics the tools (and training/support) they need at the outset to prevent those complications arising in the first place?

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
So frustrating.
Complete no brainer.
Reports I've seen are L3 is buggy like L2 use to be. Good news is Juggluco supports L3. With that and L2 I haven't had half the issues than with Libreview. Good luck

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As said I had my annual review with my consultant & I casually asked about Libre 3 I was told there was NO FUNDING for it.

I now have had a letter telling me to I’m being changed from Libre 2 to Dexcom 1 & to go to a group meeting so I can be showed how to use it.

I rang the number on the letter & was told very abruptly before I had said anything
Libre 3 is only licenced for paediatrics & is only been given to children at this time.
Your consultant has asked us to put you on a cgm Are you coming to the meeting or not.

I tried to say that’s not correct & as far as I understand Libre 3 was licenced for all Type 1. But she butted in an again repeated

Are you coming to the meeting or not

She may have been having a bad day but that’s not my fault

Been type 1 nearly 50 years from being a child & I need to keep I good control

but the way she talked I should just accept & be grateful for anything I get

Looks like I’m stuck with going to the meeting & getting Dexcom 1 it does not matter what or how I feel

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
As said I had my annual review with my consultant & I casually asked about Libre 3 I was told there was NO FUNDING for it.

I now have had a letter telling me to I’m being changed from Libre 2 to Dexcom 1 & to go to a group meeting so I can be showed how to use it.

I rang the number on the letter & was told very abruptly before I had said anything
Libre 3 is only licenced for paediatrics & is only been given to children at this time.
Your consultant has asked us to put you on a cgm Are you coming to the meeting or not.

I tried to say that’s not correct & as far as I understand Libre 3 was licenced for all Type 1. But she butted in an again repeated

Are you coming to the meeting or not

She may have been having a bad day but that’s not my fault

Been type 1 nearly 50 years from being a child & I need to keep I good control

but the way she talked I should just accept & be grateful for anything I get

Looks like I’m stuck with going to the meeting & getting Dexcom 1 it does not matter what or how I feel
Might be worth a tweet to Partha Kar. Surely we have a choice. Libre3 and Dexcom G6 are £1800 pa. Where Libre2 and Dexcom one are about £800 pa. My consultant told me.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be worth a tweet to Partha Kar. Surely we have a choice. Libre3 and Dexcom G6 are £1800 pa. Where Libre2 and Dexcom one are about £800 pa. My consultant told me.
If that's correct, then some serious profiteering going on from abbott.
I really can't believe the L3 is over twice the manufacturing cost of the L2. They must cost virtually the same to produce I reckon.

Reactions: BadaBing