given myself too much insulin

pinkjinks58

Dislikes
Hair, Dogs, Spiders, Rain & Ignorant people!
Hi all

Need a bit of advice, I gave myself my slow acting insulin (lantus) thinking it was my quick acting. I had my daily 18 units of slow acting at 930am but have given myself another 9 units about an hour ago before my dinner, panicked and then gave myself my 9 units of quick acting (apidra) straight after.....

Has anyone else made this mistake before? I'm assuming I'll just need to eat some toast or something before bed. Iv only recently been moved onto the quick acting insulin and the pens are very similar looking :-(

stumac0127

It could be a long night if you have doubled up on you Lantus that can stay in you body for up to 24 hours so if I were you I would test through the night. I would speak to the emergency doctor to be sure. Then your diabetic Doctor/ Nurse first thing in the morning. Im not trying to worry you but It is very important to speak to a Doctor ASAP...

pinkjinks58

Dislikes
Hair, Dogs, Spiders, Rain & Ignorant people!
I took your advice and spoke to nhs direct, they've advised me to keep eating carbs and test at 1am when the insulin will probably peak. Thank u for your help :)

SAH154

I did exactly the opposite I once gave myself 18 units of novorapid at 11pm (one of the reasons I switched to 6-7pm lantus mre awake in theory haha)

I ate loads and phoned the NHS and they sent an ambulance for me and the A&E didn't believe me as my BG was 25!!! stress and lots of pop and bisuits they only believed me when an hour later it was 5 ish

Hope everything worked out OK you should in thoery be ok if you eat and reduce the rapid injection by a bit but it's really hard to guess what is correct just keep checking your BGs and have sugar drinks near you is best advice

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I've done that before and just used it as a bit of an excuse for a pig out! Tested lots more frequently to check I still had enough carbs in my system/hadn't overdone it with the carbs (which is easily done as SAH may have found!). But - the solution is to eat carbs so it's not too much of a punishment if you see what i mean.

I didn't realise til I went to a country house for the day, and had a hypo in the shop, I'd thought I might have injected twice that morning but couldn't remember. Luckily the tea room was upstairs with a lovely selection of cakes, so once I'd had my glucose and just needed to put some longer acting carbs in the systemn, I was definitely in the right place!