Surprising results - good news?

pudenski

After gestational diabetes 10 years ago, a diagnosis of impaired glucose intolerance, regular GTTs since then, resulting in tipping over to type 2 in October 2011, I've done all the necessary education sessions, lifestyle changes, appointments etc and went for a routine diabetes check today and found out that my HbA1C has dropped dramatically. In October it was 45 (6.2%), in December 47 (6.45%) (so never particularly high) and now the test taken in March reads 26 (4.5%). I made the most significant diet changes after the diagnosis in October so if there was to be drop I would have expected that to show in the December results and I remember being dissappointed at the time that it was going in the wrong direction. The huge drop now down to 26 is such a surprise that I don't want to allow myself to feel happy as it could quite possibly be an error don't you think?

What's also surprising is that having read a lot of the threads on this forum, everyone seems to be cutting out carbs. The education sessions I went to didn't advise that at all, so my changes involved cutting out all obvious added sugar and switching to brown carbs and maintaining a general healthy, balanced diet. Certainly laid off biscuits, cake, choc, puddings and significant drop in booze :thumbdown: but otherwise a typical day means porridge, bananas, wholegrain bread, fruit, rice/couscous/pasta, beans, nuts and loads of veg. Looking at the other threads I was getting concerned that this would be increasing my results so now today I'm bemused!

No tablets, BMI healthy and no weight loss needed, cholesterol & BP all good, BG readings generally below 8.5 after meals so all in all I know I'm a lucky lady - just curious now about whether or not I even have diabetes. I've been taking medication since January for arthritis - has anyone come across any threads on here that suggest a link between certain medicines and a drop in HbA1C or anything linking arthritis with BG? Reckon I need to do a bit more research!

If anyone else has had a similar experience, it would be good to know. Cheers.

cteld

It is a tad surprising, but I don't know that much about this stuff. The only thing I do know is that HbA1C does not accurately measure average blood glucose in all people, all of the time, because of various factors (Dr. Bernstein says high vitamin C supplementation can give false lows on both meter reads and A1Cs. Jenny Ruhl talks about the problems with A1C at length; one discussion is at http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2010/10/massive-a1c-fail-it-does-not-accurately.html and another at http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/03/more-insight-into-why-a1c-doesnt-match.html.)

If those were my numbers (especially the post-prandial of 8.5 which, if frequent, doesn't jive with the A1C - it may or may not be officially diabetic depending on when you're taking the readings and the kind of meal involved, but it's not "normal normal", unless your beta cells are in fabulous shape and the readings come shortly after eating and are VERY transitory) - as I was saying, if those were my numbers, I'd want something retested, especially if I did not feel much improved.

My apologies if this sounds like I'm trying to be a downer, but I personally would want to know the worst possible scenario for myself if there was a chance the good numbers aren't accurate, so that's what I offer. :)